VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Another Manometer

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Another Manometer

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Just another variation on a home-made manometer for synchronizing the carbs.

Yep, that's my "dry wall -T Square". I hope to never need to do anymore dry-walling (detest that work), so decided to press it into an alternate service.

Bent a short piece of 3/16 brake tubing into a u-tube for the bottom; attached two, ten-foot lengths of clear tubing to the u-tube. Drilled small holes about 3/16" in from the edge every 10 inches to fasten the tubing using small cable-ties. If you pull the tubing straight between the ties, it ends up pretty nice. Filled the tubing about 1/2 with ATF. It's basically free-standing as you can see from the picture, I had it right close to where I was making the adjustmet; very handy and it worked well.

My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

Re: Another Manometer (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: totallyredvirago » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:30 pm

how do you keep the atf from being sucked into a vacuum port?
thinking there should be some kind of shutoff right before the intake ports. turn the shutoffs off. put the vacuum hoses on the ports and start the engine. open the shutoffs slowly. if the fluid starts getting close to the shut off then close it. shut the engine off let the fluid drain back (while adjusting the sync). try again...
just a thought........dan
82 xv 750 skull on grips,levers,3rd brake and side covers.soft bags and tool bag, relay for coils, fresh inferno red, paint code PEL(red)

no time to do it right..always enough time to do it twice.
it is if is isnt :con:
If it went together easy... you forgot something.
when in doubt.... ground it out!

http://www.viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=35947 (bare bones wiring81-83 xv750)
http://www.viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=48895 (91 up xv750 bare bones)
http://www.viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=36987(84-85 xv700,1000 bare bones)

totallyredvirago
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 82 xv750 red
95 sportster 1200
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Yeah, that'd be a good idea for sure; especially if the bike has been running poorly or the carbs have just been rebuilt - no way of knowing how much difference there might be, and the ATF could very quickly find its way into the intake with the stronger vacuum. I'd probably splice the valves into the lines near the top of the scale so the liquid could be stopped before getting near the intakes. I think it would be important to make sure both valves were wide open when making the final adjustment. When I was hooking it up, I made sure the garage door was wide open...just incase that happened. I had no idea how much vacuum a healthy Virago engine would produce; seems to me a good car/truck will develop about 15" mercury. Figured if I filled the tubes to about half way up the 48" scale, I should ("might" could be a better word) be OK; if both carbs were anywhere near being balanced, the vacuum should pretty well cancel each other out. So I hooked up the manometer and fired the bike.....it started to climb the tube from the front cylinder/carb immediately, (a good 10 " or so) and I reached for the key....but it levelled out there and I started adjusting.

One thing I did notice....after I was done patting myself on the back for a job well done, I realized I had performed the adjustment with the breather off; unless you have really tiny and dextrous fingers, there's no way you're going to get at the vac port for the front carb with it on. (On second thought, maybe a guy could follow that vac hose to the left pod and connect there; but I never looked at that) So I hooked up the manometer again and put the breather back on; there was a difference, and I did have to make a small adjustment to even them out again. Lesson learned.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Subintro » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:07 pm

Heh, tried this the other day and had the fluid in them sucked straight into the rear carb. Luckily it was carb cleaner and not water which I first intended on using.

It was my first try and syncing carbs and had no idea what to expect so gave up and built a difference device.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_s ... uretors%3F

Anyway, it was safe to say that my carbs were incredibly out of sync.

Subintro
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: Virago 535 '88

PostAuthor: smithtec » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:33 pm

I tried this too, with ATF...didn't work that well, got a device made by Edelbrock off ebay that you use on one carb at a time. Has a little slider in a tube which venturis off the body, which is round with a seal to press against your carb. Love it.
:chop: :cl:
smithtec
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920 in pieces
1984 XV1000 sold
1989 XV1100 with XV1000 engine needing built
1995 XV1100 sold
1992 XV1100 my rider
1989 XV1100 next build

PostAuthor: Bildak » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:58 pm

smithtec wrote:I tried this too, with ATF...didn't work that well, got a device made by Edelbrock off ebay that you use on one carb at a time. Has a little slider in a tube which venturis off the body, which is round with a seal to press against your carb. Love it.

Just go to Harbor Freight and buy two Vac gauges. Get a couple of aquarium air vales to pinch down the vacuum and you'll be good to go.

Bildak
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 Virago xv1100

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips