Got carb tuning problems , peep this

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Got carb tuning problems , peep this

PostAuthor: Matthew » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:45 am

http://www.factorypro.com/products/Jets,%20Hitachi,%20buy.htm

Updated link, http://www.factorypro.com/jets/jets,nee ... t_jets.htm

this could be another piece of the puzzle to those strange tuning problems some have.
Last edited by Jake on Mon May 30, 2016 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated factorypro.com link
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: Verbious » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:06 am

Interesting....
Verbious
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:37 pm

very interesting.
I wonder which one to get if you have 750 carbs used on 1100?
750 to fit the carb? not 1100 for application?
(1100 photo didn't down load for me)
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Sex: Male

PostAuthor: P.O.L. Mafia » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:15 am

This is true. That is why I always recommend notching the plastic base on the needle so it sets flat and cannot spin. This small amount of ware can cause tuning nightmares.
CCWorks
Cruisin at 4PSI
Making Dreams Reality!
P.O.L. Mafia
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1981 Virago 750 (single carb P901) Chopper
2004 V-Star 650 (single carb P902) soon to be Chopper
2004 TTR 250

PostAuthor: anaman51 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:02 pm

What kind of mileage do you reckon would be on the engine before you'd start seeing this kind of wear?

Dan
:con: An analog man in a digital world.

'81 XV750---Mods: Battery ground modification, forward controls, four brush starter, Jardine slip-on exhaust, custom seat.

Riding my Virago is knowing pure freedom. :chop:

PLEASE RIDE SAFELY!
anaman51
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1981 XV750

PostAuthor: coalstoves » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:11 pm

According to the web site they say in the 20's mpg I'd imagine that’s acute, lesser wear may show in different ways, I also notice they don’t have needles I know there's a guy that sells them for $75 each so between them and the tubes $210 before a kit for gaskets and cleaning .

When I did my Hitachis I had a mushroomed needle and opted to clean it up versus spend the $75 its good, but I guess if I wanted perfect it costs more .

I have posted a year or so ago that jet replacement through the carb was the best method if available and $$$ feasible and also warned about the dangers of aggressive cleaning with the wrong tools like torch tip cleaners and how it can effect the flow of the jets .

Got that tip from old Yammy tech back in the "Fix The 535" days .
1987 XV700
1999 XV1600

To see my Virago click the globe icon next to the PM button

Never Time To do it Right but Always time to do it Twice
coalstoves
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1987 XV700

PostAuthor: anaman51 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:16 am

Mine went through multiple trips through an ultrasonic cleaner. It's a non-invasive way to go about it, but it did leave behind the odd mystery booger I had to dig out of there. I've gotten them all out now, finally, and the bike is running great. I saw no wear like that in the picture, and the needles were in good shape once they got cleaned up. You can bet I'll be keeping an eye on it in the future, though.

Dan

'81 XV750---Mods: Battery ground modification, forward controls, four brush starter, Jardine slip-on exhaust, custom seat.

PLEASE RIDE SAFELY!
anaman51
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: coalstoves » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:01 pm

I agree with ultrasonic cleaning it is by far the best method, only downside is they are relatively new in the shops it can be tricky to find a local shop that has one and the smaller jewelry type really don’t have the power for motorsport applications and are a bit too small for more than components and a proper sized one with the needed power comes in around $400.
I found a radiator repair shop that has 50+ gal unit with enough juice that the parts come out hot from molecular movement . Talk About Clean !!
1987 XV700
1999 XV1600

To see my Virago click the globe icon next to the PM button

Never Time To do it Right but Always time to do it Twice
coalstoves
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1987 XV700

PostAuthor: anaman51 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:33 pm

I used a medium-sized unit from Harbor Freight that was on sale for sixty bucks. It wouldn't take both carbs totally at once, but if I turned them each time I ran it, all parts of the carb bodies got done. It took a while, and a lot of repetitions to get it right, but when it was done it was shiny clean. There were the usual last boogers to dig out, but nothing spectacular. I found one still on the end of one pilot screw on the last teardown, and that was the one that made all the difference. It goes like a scalded jackrabbit now.

Dan

PLEASE RIDE SAFELY!
anaman51
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Matthew » Sun May 09, 2010 1:43 am

TTT
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Re: Got carb tuning problems , peep this

PostAuthor: rutager » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:53 pm

I found this carb tuning manual quite useful. It's by Graham Bell and has both a 4 stroke and 2 stroke sections, outlining just about everything relating to the tuning of carburetor equipped engines. Both very in depth and very informative.

http://www.filedropper.com/2-stroke-performance-tuning-graham-bell
http://www.filedropper.com/4strokeperformancetuningintheorypractice

Very useful imo. Especially for the novice looking for somewhere to start.

rutager
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1991 xv250

Re:

PostAuthor: lassesand » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:48 am

anaman51 wrote:I used a medium-sized unit from Harbor Freight that was on sale for sixty bucks. It wouldn't take both carbs totally at once, but if I turned them each time I ran it, all parts of the carb bodies got done. It took a while, and a lot of repetitions to get it right, but when it was done it was shiny clean. There were the usual last boogers to dig out, but nothing spectacular. I found one still on the end of one pilot screw on the last teardown, and that was the one that made all the difference. It goes like a scalded jackrabbit now.

Dan

I have an ultrasonic cleaner but I don't know what chemicals to use? It's big enough for one carb at a time. What temperature is "best" and for how long time should I soak the carbs?
Lasse S
lassesand
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1981 TR1., 1982 TR1., 1982 TR1. 1982 XZ550, 1984 XVZ1200, 1987 TT600, 1984 VF1000F

PostAuthor: Jake » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:46 pm

rutager wrote:I found this carb tuning manual quite useful. It's by Graham Bell and has both a 4 stroke and 2 stroke sections, outlining just about everything relating to the tuning of carburetor equipped engines. Both very in depth and very informative.

http://www.filedropper.com/2-stroke-performance-tuning-graham-bell
http://www.filedropper.com/4strokeperformancetuningintheorypractice

Very useful imo. Especially for the novice looking for somewhere to start.
Both links are dead in that post.

I've attached the files to this post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: lassesand » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:27 pm

OK, I used water (3 liter) where I put in around 200 grammes of citric acid. Washed the carbs in my ultrasonic cleaner in 65 degrees Celcius for one hour (each). Blew them thoroughly with compressed air. Looks and runs like new! I took a test ride with my -81 TR1. with these carbs and I'm totally satisfied! Runs great and starts really easy!
I remoded everything including butterfly valves and axles befor putting the carb body in the acid to avoid ecthing the metal parts.
Lasse S
lassesand
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1981 TR1., 1982 TR1., 1982 TR1. 1982 XZ550, 1984 XVZ1200, 1987 TT600, 1984 VF1000F

PostAuthor: Timas » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:55 am

Having a set of Mikuni's on the XV500 that are
a) original
b) all original parts
c) 30k Km on em
d) Ovaled

I thought it might be useful to mention the adjustments I did to correct the issue for now...
What I did when I saw this posting and realized that this change in shape of the emulsion tube or main jet was what was causing my bike to run super hot and totally crappy, also refusing to stay tuned... was to crank the pilot jets in to soft seat.. I fired it up like that and it actually idled so nicely I did a 20km run down to the lakefront, it ran great on the way down but the trip back .. not so well. A couple stops adjusting screws back out a bit until I have a pretty smooth running bike now, with plenty of power for what I call the local superhighways... meaning the Ontario 400 Series, Hwy 400, 404 and 401.

Some test riding mileage done at the results are in, bike runs way better than it did Friday, 500 Km plus in two days, restarts are still an issue but the overheating doesn't happen anymore without good reason... eg. a 100km run at 120km an hour.. which sadly was just keeping up to the slow guys in the fast lane.... Oh and it didn't overheat, just got pretty hot. Before this severe reduction of pilot jetting you could burn your hand touching the engine WITH Kevlar gloves on... and it stayed that hot way too long. Now I can put my hand on the Valve covers 10 minutes after stopping... (not recommended unless you have semi fireproof hands tho... still hot.)
1984 XV500 Virago
1993 XV750 Virago
Timas
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 XV500 Virago
1993 XV750 Virago

Re: Re:

PostAuthor: smithtec » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:38 pm

lassesand wrote:
anaman51 wrote:I used a medium-sized unit from Harbor Freight that was on sale for sixty bucks. It wouldn't take both carbs totally at once, but if I turned them each time I ran it, all parts of the carb bodies got done. It took a while, and a lot of repetitions to get it right, but when it was done it was shiny clean. There were the usual last boogers to dig out, but nothing spectacular. I found one still on the end of one pilot screw on the last teardown, and that was the one that made all the difference. It goes like a scalded jackrabbit now.

Dan

I have an ultrasonic cleaner but I don't know what chemicals to use? It's big enough for one carb at a time. What temperature is "best" and for how long time should I soak the carbs?

Simple Green is a good bet...
:chop: :cl:
smithtec
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920 in pieces
1984 XV1000 sold
1989 XV1100 with XV1000 engine needing built
1995 XV1100 sold
1992 XV1100 my rider
1989 XV1100 next build

PostAuthor: Octania » Sun May 29, 2016 9:35 pm

Matthew wrote:http://www.factorypro.com/products/Jets,%20Hitachi,%20buy.htm

this could be another piece of the puzzle to those strange tuning problems some have.

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Please try the following:

Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
Click the Back button to try another link.
HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.

Something needs an update
1981 XV750, aftermarket pipes
Central Michigan, Central USA
Here to find and provide help if possible
"The chrome and steel I ride colliding with the very air I breathe" -Neil Young (ish)
Octania
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 XV750 Virago, 13k miles, runs GREAT as of 10/2015
Central Lower Mchigan, Midwest, USA, Norte Amerika, 3rd Rock from Sol.

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon May 30, 2016 6:23 am

Here is the updated link.

http://www.factorypro.com/jets/jets,nee ... t_jets.htm

FYI , I've updated Matthew's post as well.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Octania » Mon May 30, 2016 9:07 am

Yeah I saw that before. In the pic, I just BARELY at all see any wear and if the arrow was not there I would not see it, so how can one "check for" that? insert a drill that barely fits and backlight it?

I will try to put the photo in here to make it easier to find in the future.

So, on my bike, I put a total of 1mm spacer washers under the needles, and when I asked about the notch in the plastic and was it necessary or why was it done, I got silence for a response, no guidance. Since my 1mm spacers now hold the needle plastics above the nearby pin, I guess they are free to rotate. Seems to run pretty well regardless. I did shop around and found two NOS emulsion tubes for more like $30 the pair. Next time the carbs are apart they can be installed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1981 XV750, aftermarket pipes
Central Michigan, Central USA
Here to find and provide help if possible
"The chrome and steel I ride colliding with the very air I breathe" -Neil Young (ish)
Octania
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 XV750 Virago, 13k miles, runs GREAT as of 10/2015
Central Lower Mchigan, Midwest, USA, Norte Amerika, 3rd Rock from Sol.

PostAuthor: wrenchguy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:48 pm

Jake wrote:Here is the updated link.

http://www.factorypro.com/jets/jets,nee ... t_jets.htm

FYI , I've updated Matthew's post as well.

This link is now dead.

wrenchguy
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Virago xv920j

Next

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips