Click Here

Speedometer cable oiling

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Speedometer cable oiling

PostAuthor: Matthew » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:23 pm

Speedometer cable oiling

We have talked about it a few times. You can buy kits but you can also make one. So I took a pic when I oiled one today.

The cable for my Buick was making an awful racket. I tried gravity, I tried compressed air. But you need a syringe to get it done right.

I just used a piece of garden hose, a syringe from an inkjet filler kit and two hose clamps. I filled the tube twice and it took everything I had to get the oil in. It tries to squirt and squish out. You can see some had worked its way behind the plunger. But I worked it till I got drips of oil out from under my dash.
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: bykrmom » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:38 pm

Matt,

Nice job :grin:

I'm going to see if I can find a rubber nipple of some kind that I can fit over a regular brake or clutch cable for the bike, and clamp on to the syringe and the cable end. If I can find something I'll use this method on the bike too. I'll try it with the garden hose as you have with the Volvo speedo cable.

If anyone's looking for the large syringes, any farm or feed store will have them for administering meds to cows and other cattle.

Don't bother the junkies - their syringes are used (probably many times) and they are too small to hold much oil lol :lol:
bykrmom®

My current rides include:
1985 XV700 (Basket case since May 2003)
1985 Suzuki Intruder 700 Daily Rider
bykrmom
Special Membership
Special Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 XV700 Virago (basket case since May '03)
1985 GL700 Suzuki Intruder
Sex: Female

PostAuthor: Matthew » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:47 pm

HW store will have clear PVC hose in many sizes that could work. Use them really tiny hose clamps or some beefy zip ties. But I will tell you. If anything is a tad loose, oil explodes out of it and makes a mess. At first I just tried to hold the syringe in place as I was pushing on it already. Mistake :doh: . Had to find a 2nd hose clamp.
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Basic question about lubricating Speedo cable

PostAuthor: thompalmer » Wed May 11, 2005 6:49 pm

What kind of oil would one use to perform such a feat? My cable squeals really really bad, and I need to fix that. I am thinking about just getting a new cable anyway, but I figured I'd try oiling it first...

Thanks!

-Thom
83 XV500K

thompalmer
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Dragarth » Mon May 30, 2005 2:24 am

I find that an ordinary engine oil is best 30 grade ish, much thinner than that and it gravity runs too easily and doesn't last very long. I use a bought hydraulic oiler (only cost about £15) works in the same way as Mathew's but the end of the cable is held securly in the oiler and the plunger screws in to provide a higher pressure for those really bad cables, works damn well too..
-D-

Dragarth
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Re: Speedometer cable oiling

PostAuthor: bykrmom » Mon May 30, 2005 3:18 pm

One thing about noisy speedo cables that everyone overlooks (even me) is that they can carry noise a long way from where the sqeel/squeek really is. For instance, I had a cable on the 85 that squeeled like a pig the second I went over 30MPH. I oiled it, but it didn't help. So I took it off, pulled the cable from the casing, greased it, and put it all back on. Still, the squeel was there, and about drove me nuts. So I replaced the cable with a brand new cable. Still, that GD squeel was STILL there! :pissed:

Then I had an brilliant idea - it hit me in my sleep. Was the problem really in the speedometer gear on the wheel? I took it off the next day, cleaned it completely, greased it everyplace I could fit the needly attachment for the grease gun, and put it back on. It was SO quiet after greasing the drive gears, that I could actually hear the speedometer head as I rode. (That was before I canned the stock pipes and put the cobras on. I couldn't even hear myself think after that! :lol: )
bykrmom®

My current rides include:
1985 XV700 (Basket case since May 2003)
1985 Suzuki Intruder 700 Daily Rider
bykrmom
Special Membership
Special Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 XV700 Virago (basket case since May '03)
1985 GL700 Suzuki Intruder
Sex: Female

PostAuthor: copperlisa » Mon May 30, 2005 4:30 pm

Ah....and greasing that gear box on the wheel is an excellent idea. After getting my XV700 that had sat for at least 3 years, I had ridden her for about 3 months and was pulling out of a parking lot onto a 4 lane road when wham...the gears inside the box sheared off and locked my front wheel up...I almost dumped her. :pissed:

I bought the new gear box, but it took a week to get it from the stealer. So my odometer's a bit off....bout a thousand miles or so....LOL I now keep that gear box greased. Learned my lesson.
Lisa
R Wheels R His
CMA Boise Secretary

1985 XV 700...totally stock :)
The twin bike to WG

copperlisa
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Aussiexv1100 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:14 am

Will this thread help you KayeM?
It's a lazy man that won't find his wife a second job.

When in doubt, it is usually best to remain silent, and be thought a fool,
rather than foolishly open ones mouth, and remove any doubt.
[author unknown]
Aussiexv1100
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: I ride a '98 XV 1100
It's not a poor mans harley,
it's a wise mans harley!
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:49 am

super duper idea Matthew
The " Mistress " done

THE MORE HAIR YOU LOSE ... THE MORE HEAD YOU GET ....

I Lied to get the JOB they lied about the JOB .. So we are even

Bike is as always For Sale

EX-WIFE FOR SALE ... JUST TAKE OVER PAYMENTS

HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS

1982 XV920J ,82 harley Gas Tank , 81 Maxim Headlight ,Round Aftermarket signal lighting , harley Sportster front fender , Johnny Pag Spyder rear fender ,harley FLH Battery Cover, Highway Crash Bars with Pegs , Aftermarket Mirrors ,Aftermarket Backrest , Mac Pipes ,Leather Saddle Bags , Gen 2 Starter upgrade , Battery Tender , Honda Shadow Ace Seat . Firehouse Technology I-Tube Stereo , Honda Handlebars , On Board 12 v compressor for rear air shock ,Memphis Shades Batwing fairing ,3.5" pull back risers , Homemade Clock mount

Oakville,Ontario .Canada

Roger Ramjet
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 Xv920J

PostAuthor: MDawdy » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:03 am

Matthew";p="7511 wrote:Speedometer cable oiling ...

None of the bikes that i have owned [4 Viragos, 2 Shadows, 2 Harleys] ever required the mechanical speedo cable to be oiled. They should be cleaned and then greased, not oiled.

Brake cleaner in a spray can works well for cleaning, as will most any solvent. Virtually any grease applied lightly will be suitable. Remove the cable from the bike, remove the cable from the sheath, clean out the inside of the sheath, clean and grease the cable, re-install.

Mick
MDawdy
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: pursang » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:44 am

Some tools once you've used them you can never go back, this is one of those tools, works excellent, called a cable luber, I think yamaha made these popular a long time ago and they used to be called yamalubers. this one is just a no name brand but it works well, my brother stole back the good one I stole from him in the first place.
pursang
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips