VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Cheap simple carb stand

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Cheap simple carb stand

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Waiting for carb parts for my 1100, I decided I'd try and do something that might make life easier in setting the float bowl levels in the vise before re-installing the rebuilt carbs. So I dug out some scrap pieces of 2X6 and a bit of 1/2" plywood and came up with what should hold the carbs at the correct angle for adjusting the floats. To the best of my measuring, I've determined the carb manifold throats sit at a downward angle of 6 degrees (6 degrees off plumb) when mounted on the bike. So I cut one edge of the 2X6 "towers" to 84 degrees in my miter saw. Then cut them both to the exact same height (critical that they're the same height) which turns out to be 5 7/16" in my case, but as long as they're high enough for the bottom of the bowls to allow enough clearance for the clear tube it's all you need. Screwed them to my piece of plywood at 3 1/2" on center, and another critical measurement: they must be 3 5/8" apart at the very top edge so the carbs slide in with the face of the throat snug and flush to the surface of the 2X6. Screwed the plywood to another piece of 2X6 so the whole thing can be clamped in the vise at level. Oh yeah, a piece of plywood about 2" wide and a length as required (depending on the height of the towers with a 2" hole cut on centre, then the piece cut in half through the centre of the hole. Glue/nail those to the face of the towers so the bottom of the hole is 2" below the top of the tower. Here's a couple pics with some measurements that might explain what I've just said. I figure if this isn't secure enough, I'll just wrap and elastic cord around one of the carbs to secure it in place. I'll hook up my gasoline I.V. unit to the carbs when it comes time to check the levels. If you build one, make sure all pieces are square, plumb, parallel, etc.

IMG_3691.JPG

IMG_3692.JPG

IMG_3689.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cusstout 1100 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

Re: Cheap simple carb stand

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:51 am

:GJ: :coolpic: :thanks:
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
Sex: Male

Re: Cheap simple carb stand

PostAuthor: chrismalm » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:18 pm

:yup: