Click Here

XV1000 TR1 Front brake VERY HARD

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

XV1000 TR1 Front brake VERY HARD

PostAuthor: Mrballack » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:01 am

Hi VTF!
I've been reading page after page in this site for at couple of days now, and i'm looking for some info i thought i read here.

I've just bought my first bike ( :bg: :bg: ) and im about to get my licence (in about 14 days or so). While i wait, i'm doing a complete overhaul of the bike. I did notice a extremely hard front brake and i did all i could think of to find a possible fault(complete clean and bleed of the system). Nothing helps. The bike stops fine, just the lever that is very hard.
The bike has steel braided brake lines on it, and i've thought i read somewhere that a master cylinder from a XJ600 Diversion (14mm bore size) should do the job, anybody here that can confirm that?

Other then that, it need's some work, but i love it already :cl:

//Frederik

and BTW, sorry if i posted the wrong place, i didn't know where els to put it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mrballack on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mrballack
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 Yamaha XV1000 TR1 - very very yellow....
Sex: Male

Re: XV1000 TR1 Front brake VERY HARD

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:34 am

Is it just the lever pulling hard, does it release properly?
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: nanno » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:49 am

Yep any 14mm pump will work. But a Diversion pump will make it easier with technical inspection as it says Yamaha on the top. The stock brake with stainless steel lines will feel like squeezing a brick, if bled correctly.
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at (My blog - Greasygreg.blogspot.co.at)
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar

PostAuthor: Mrballack » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:53 am

I've haven't been able to ride too much on the bike, but it does not feel like the brake is stiky. I could press back the piston with my hands.
i've noticed the "slider" on the caliper is a little hard to move, but that not effecting the lever. (i will fix it though)

My theory (after reading about it) is that the bore size in the brake master was designed to rubber brake lines, not steel braided lines. And when replaced with steel braided lines, the amount of fluid the master is moving, will put pressure on the pistons(caliper) sooner, cause of the lack of expanding.

I don't know the bore size of the stock brake master, but if it's, let say 16-17 mm, a 14mm master would "allow" more lever-movement, and possibly fix my problem....... i think :;:
Last edited by Mrballack on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mrballack
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Mrballack » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:59 am

nanno wrote:Yep any 14mm pump will work. But a Diversion pump will make it easier with technical inspection as it says Yamaha on the top. The stock brake with stainless steel lines will feel like squeezing a brick, if bled correctly.

That's the exact term used in the thread i've read. "Squeezing a brick" hehe

Inspection will not be a issue where i live. (not right now at least) When the bike i 10+ old, it has to go through inspection after 1 year, if you sell the bike. So i just bought the bike, previous owner got some feeling problem in the legs, so it haven't been on the road for almost 2 years, so i will need to go trough inspection now. But after inspection, i will not need to go again while i own the bike :cl:

Mrballack
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: nanno » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:35 am

Ah nice... overhere it's annual inspection from the point of when the car/bike turns five years old. (So basically the other way round.)

Yep, you will like the upgrade, it's got a lot more feel on the lever. You can even put in a 1/2" brakepump, but it will be very soft and give only very, very little feedback and quite literally come to bite you, when you do an emergency stop.

That's a nice set of EBC full floater disks on the front!

Cheers,
Greg
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar

PostAuthor: Mrballack » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:03 am

nanno wrote:Ah nice... overhere it's annual inspection from the point of when the car/bike turns five years old. (So basically the other way round.)

Yep, you will like the upgrade, it's got a lot more feel on the lever. You can even put in a 1/2" brakepump, but it will be very soft and give only very, very little feedback and quite literally come to bite you, when you do an emergency stop.

That's a nice set of EBC full floater disks on the front!

Cheers,
Greg

So 1/2" is about 12-13mm right? I have found a place who has i XJ600 master for about €90( used and in bad shape, but thats the prices here)
I think i will give a go then!

Yes the discs are nice, a little rugged on the inside, but in OK shape. The previous owner used about €10000 the last 8-10 years to make the bike great. So it has a lot of great parts and mods on it. - Drilled oilfeed line, the stronger starter motor (4 brush i think?), something with the ignition system, rebuilded carbs, ect ect. So i will only need to give it a good clean and then drive it to inspection! All in all a good buy i think.

Mrballack
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: nanno » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 am

1/2" is 12.5mm.

Have a look at ebay.de and kleinanzeigen.ebay.de - the German word is "Bremspumpe vorn" (brakepump front) Yamaha Diversion 600. With regards to the ignition it's most likely a programmable Ignitech. If it is, send me a private message with your email-address and I have an improved ignition map for the bike.

nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar

PostAuthor: Mrballack » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:48 am

Man.... Thank you!! I will get back when i have some more time with the bike. Now all my focus is on that damn license :;:
I'm going to the "theory test" (if thats what it's called) tomorrow, and then hopefully my driving test short after... :bg:

That Ignitech thing, where is that normally located?

Mrballack
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: nanno » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:32 am

Under the fuel tank. It's a grey plastic box with a few cables coming out of it. The stock unit is a golden metal unit.

nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar

PostAuthor: Mrballack » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:07 am

So i looked under the fuel tank, and i see some gold'ish box. So i guess i'm not that lucky hehe(i'll take the tank completely off and check the CDI box a little better, have read some put the tcip4 inside the gold'ish case).
BUT! I want that Ignitech tcip4! As i'm studying automotive technologies, we've been working with a MK4 GTI turbo witch we'd build from the buttom and up, including the wiring to a EFI EURO 2 ecu. Also we've been building a peugeot 106 hybrid, electric buggy's and a lawnmover engine with a homebuild Arduino ignition system. Pretty fun!

So.... i feel like i have to get this TCIP4. :bg: :bg: So i will hit you up, Nanno, when i get it :drinks:

Thanks for the help, i'll get back when i have solved my brake situation. The companies i mail'd, are not really answering....

Mrballack
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips