VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Virago 750 cylinder gasket replacement

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Virago 750 cylinder gasket replacement

PostAuthor: Andrewlm97 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:24 pm

New to this forum, I have a leak coming from the cylinder gasket on cylinder number one. I was thinking about jumping into it on my own. I have never done anything like this I was hoping for some tips on how to get it done right and easily. Thank you!

Andrewlm97
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1993 Virago XV750
Sex: Male

Re: Virago 750 cylinder gasket replacement

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:27 am

Hi & welcome to the forum Andrewlm97.

Gr8 to hear you are trying this yourself.... Well done.

Maybe the best advice I could offer is to get an icecream container or similar for the screws & bolts your about to remove, clean rags & a dedicated attitude to getting it done.

Take photos or a video of everything, the petcock & lines, of the air cleaner/petrol/vacuum connections & any electrical connections you will encounter... You might say "Oh I'll remember where that came from, its just the thing that goes there" BUT you wont. That little tube with a curve in it... well which way did it go???

Personally I get a bit of stickytape or that white masking tape, write what it is & where it goes, then attach it to the electrical wire & its connector. Even colour code them if you have a few. Most everyone has a black blue & red highlighter/texta/pen/ nail polish colour somewhere around to use.

So get started. Disconnect the battery There is nothing worse than having a spark fly when you accidentally touch an earth with an active electrical connection.
If you dont have enough room for tools to remove the head bolts, take the tank off.... & all those connections I told you about... Label them.

The rest of it is just undo all the bits, the covers, bugseyes & bolts holding the head down. Clean the surfaces, inspect the pistons, valves, timing chain, surfaces of the head, etc & installation is reversal of procedure. Well maybe not quite that easy but close enough.

When you get that far into it Andrewlm97, youve got 2nd & maybe 3rd yr year apprentice rating my friend, & at $120.00/hr for a mechanic, well, just take you time & all should go well.

Andrewlm97 there is always someone here that will be able to help you along the way if you get stuck.

Go get em.
Eaglearm.
What would you like here? Something smart or funny? How about a BIO of me.
I wanted to be a graphic artist and after 3 yrs training the lecturers told me to try singing. :thanks:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2007 XV 250 Virago So Im told.

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:36 am

:yup: :yup: :yup:
Eaglearm wrote:When you get that far into it Andrewlm97, youve got 2nd & maybe 3rd yr year apprentice rating my friend, & at $120.00/hr for a mechanic, well, just take you time & all should go well.

Oh..No Doubt! Best piece of advice that's always stuck with me since I was ten, given to me by my Grandfather, going back together is always the easiest/hardest part. Hardest, cuz you start to get little overly anxious and can miss something really, really stupid. Only drawback, it was a lawnmower and worked to well when done, I had to use it. :;: :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:54 am

Hahaha. thats great. Looks like your mechanical skills are well & truely instilled via Granddad.

I think you'll do fine. If you have any hiccups, feel free to ask for assistance through the forum.

Cheers Eaglearm.
What would you like here? Something smart or funny? How about a BIO of me.
I wanted to be a graphic artist and after 3 yrs training the lecturers told me to try singing. :thanks:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2007 XV 250 Virago So Im told.

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips