Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Fuel Separation Systems

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Fuel Separation Systems

PostAuthor: speedyleon » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:42 am

How does a fuel separation system like Fass Fuel benefit diesel vehicles?

speedyleon
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 2007 Yamaha VIRAGO 250
Sex: Male

Re: Fuel Separation Systems

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:11 am

Gads, been ions since I've thought of this and it's only cuz I wrote an article on oil and kinda lead into a few other facts. The way I've always understood it was, both diesel and gas come from the same stuff (ie: crude). Diesel is different from gasoline in its viscosity. Kinda like a moon shine distillery, crude is run thru a series of steps to separate the hydrocarbon and setup this liquid by viscosity. Viscosity is key here and once they are separated, gas and diesel (and many others) can be extracted separately and used for different things. Gasoline is less viscous than diesel which is why it is higher up in the distillation list of all these different product derieved from the crude.
The way the two fuels are burned is also very different. Cars that use gasoline ignite their fuel with a spark plug cuz of less compression as diesel. Because of this compression ratio, gasoline is not compressed to as high temperatures (compared to diesel engines), the spark plug is necessary. It creates a spark hot enough to ignite the fuel and burn the gas so that it can make the car move.
Bottom line..kinda like the separator on an air/paint compressor. Water/contaminates mix with yer paint..bad. Diesel has more crap in it..ie: less refined. I think, not sure, but kerosene is purer that diesel. I'd have to look that up to be sure.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:50 pm

:yup:

my experience with diesel isn't very extensive (only had the one personal vehicle) but also like gasoline, there are disreputable folks out there that will happily sell you contaminated fuel - accidentally or on purpose.

the unscrupulous ones think it easier to hide 'crap' in and extend their profit in the heavier petro products, so one must be cautious about where one buys ones diesel fuel because of that.

the Fass fuel thing might allow you to be less concerned about your fuel supply(-ier) and/or possible fuel contamination issues by cleaning it some first.

clean oil, clean fuel generally means extended useful engine life, & performance.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely
Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:02 pm

mark75 wrote:my experience with diesel isn't very extensive (only had the one personal vehicle) but also like gasoline, there are disreputable folks out there that will happily sell you contaminated fuel - accidentally or on purpose.

Me-- probly way less than you. Understand just the real basic mechanics of em, but never had a diesel anything. Guess I got gun-shy of them from the 70's. X-father-in-law had diesel everything. But sure seemed, between his dozers, cranes, trucks and what-nots, he was always wrench'n on them. When I'd help him out..sure seems like I spent more time sitting in the cab than actually move'n. Usually the separator.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Car / Truck