Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

CTR 125 only starts with choke?

Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, HD, Other. 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, wheels. Off road or street. Air, sea or land. Hyper dimensional transport.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

CTR 125 only starts with choke?

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:10 am

Hi & thanks for taking a look at my problem.

I have a dirt bike a CTR 125 that will ( currently ) only start with full choke, then when the choke is taken off revs out of control.

Background on it is, when I bought it I rode it, went well. Then I had to manufacture a new exhaust pipe. The old one was damaged in the centre only. ( a bolt on component.) It has a sump... so petrol not 2 stroke, the spark plug is black on the end.
The bike sat for a long time ( 5 years ).

I disassembled the carby & air filter & cleaned out the spiders, replaced the fuel line & set to trying to start it up.
I figured it would need a bit of fine tuning but the high revs seem a little over the top.

It revs out of control when started & only starts on full choke. As I let the choke off I have to adjust the throttle cable limiter in & out to get the revs down.

Ive adjusted the idle needle control in & out to what (IMHO) is optimal, but it stills revs out of control intermittently.

My thoughts are that maybe the needle on the slide needs some adjustment eg higher or lower??? to bring it under control. OR the carby might have a tiny hole that is not as clean as it should be.

Can someone tell me if Im on the right track please?

Thankyou Eaglearm.
Last edited by Jake on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Gen Motorcycle / Other then a Virago
What would you like here? Something smart or funny? How about a BIO of me.
I wanted to be a graphic artist and after 3 yrs training the lecturers told me to try singing. :thanks:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2007 XV 250 Virago.
1300 V Star 2007
Sex: Male

Re: CTR 125 only starts with choke?

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:56 am

sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:02 am

Could be a vacuum leak as well.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:54 pm

Eaglearm wrote:Hi & thanks for taking a look at my problem.

I have a dirt bike a CTR 125 that will ( currently ) only start with full choke, then when the choke is taken off revs out of control.

Background on it is, when I bought it I rode it, went well. Then I had to manufacture a new exhaust pipe. The old one was damaged in the centre only. ( a bolt on component.) It has a sump... so petrol not 2 stroke, the spark plug is black on the end.
The bike sat for a long time ( 5 years ).

I disassembled the carby & air filter & cleaned out the spiders, replaced the fuel line & set to trying to start it up.
I figured it would need a bit of fine tuning but the high revs seem a little over the top.

It revs out of control when started & only starts on full choke. As I let the choke off I have to adjust the throttle cable limiter in & out to get the revs down.

indicated air leak symptoms --- only start /w 'choke', high/run-a-way idle... also may back-fire thru carb
[b-f thru pipes = too rich]

'82 - XV750

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:28 am

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if that fuel from BP, that cleans out the gunk in an engine would be of use to clean the carby?

I did start it & run it for a couple of hours with a reasonably stable idle, maybe about 800 to 1200 rpm.
It stopped a couple of times & doesnt like to restart just by kicking it over... (electric start doesnt work to well... Mainly because theres no room for a battery anywhere? )

One thing that was obvious is that when the bars are turned left or right she revs the rings out of her.
Well I havent worked out how to rectify this yet.
The throttle cable runs under the tank & I think it might be just a little short.

Say.. does anyone know who makes this CTR. I cant find much about it at all.
I wanted to be a graphic artist and after 3 yrs training the lecturers told me to try singing. :thanks:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

1300 V Star 2007

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:46 pm

1980 Honda made a CT125 ---> http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... 5%2081.htm

:con:

fuel additives are good to "blow-the-dust-off", and that's about it. sadly no "miracle" stuff that gives a good cleaning.

yeah, sounds like the T.cable is too short, or adjusted too tight.

'82 - XV750

... Mark Twain

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:56 am

Good effort mark75, with the potential of Honda being the winner.... but no.

Here's a couple of photos I took.

Oh well, one photo then.
The case clearly has CTR cast in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

1300 V Star 2007

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Gen Motorcycle / Other then a Virago