Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Ice Bear Road Warrior??

Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, HD, Other. 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, wheels. Off road or street. Air, sea or land. Hyper dimensional transport.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Ice Bear Road Warrior??

PostAuthor: Harleyhorder » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Considering one of these I found used (pretty cheap too) for my 81 year old father so he take short rides with us, but despite 40 years experience with bikes I lack any experience with the Virago 250 (which this engine is a carbon copy of). And of course not having it here in front of me leaves a nice disadvantage.

So I thought I would differ to those of you who do have some experience, I pretty much figure the first thing will be a more open exhaust which I can build myself, and either rejetting or set it up for a single carb (again I can handle that). But I'm not finding much as far as cam or displacement upgrades.

I know the 750 Virago is a shaft drive, have one of those sitting around here somewhere, anything from that I can use???

And I haven't ruled out just stuffing a Sportster engine in it, but I like to explore all the options first, and of course want to keep this as low budget as I can as I'm not sure how much longer he may be able to ride even with 3 wheels.

Harleyhorder
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1994 harley Electra Glide
1999 harley FXR
Sex: Male

Re: Ice Bear Road Warrior??

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:31 pm

I never heard of them until you posted this, for those like me, that don't know, http://www.familygokarts.com/shop/trike ... 50-1-black

I seriously doubt anything from a 750 will fit, Lifan 250, maybe.
Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Harleyhorder » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Yup, that's it. Sorry I didn't think about posting that link for those who haven't heard of them.

From everything I have read (and what little I have actually found) is the Lifan 250 engine is a Chinese carbon copy knockoff of the Virago 250. If they had to copy something though they should have copied something decent like the bigger Virago's, but that's just something else to make us go Hmmm. LOL

I was also looking really close at a Shadow 750 that I noticed was chain drive, wonder if the customer would notice if he got it back with a Lifan 250 engine. :;:

Harleyhorder
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
1999 harley FXR

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:43 pm

interchangeable parts power train-wise? very very few if any-at-all.
it would be a bit like fitting Pacer parts for a Road-Glide,
but trying to keep the old-man "knees-in-the-breeze" is a first rate idea & I bet he appreciates it too.

being pragmatic in most ways, their main market thrust [Mainland] is more toward small engines.
the larger engine market is very competitive [US, EU, Japan, Korea, ...] but the small engine market is less competitive, and potentially larger. [Honda has sold about a Zilllllion Super Cubs]
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan: BUT --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Harleyhorder » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:05 pm

Too true on the small engine market.

I do like the looks of this little trike, but I'm also thinking about just getting a Vstar 650 and build a Voyager style trike system for it. Won't look as cool, but it will get the job done, which is why I'm trying to explore options with the Road Warrior.

Harleyhorder
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
1999 harley FXR

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Gotta admit, I like it too. One of those would be great for my wife. She thinks she's like a Elio if they are ever built.
Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Harleyhorder » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:57 pm

The Elio is cute, but where's the fun?? LoL
Yea alright, so I came real close to cutting up a late 50's Renault CV4 and doing something like that using a Gold Wing (Dead Wing) 1800 to re-power it as a 3 wheel car. That poor little CV4 was begging me to do it, just taunting me daily, and I had a wrecked Dead Wing sitting under a tarp. But someone finally bought the CV4 before I had time to start cutting.

Anyway, another option I have considered was using a Subaru engine and automatic transmission to built a trike even a paraplegic could ride, but Taxes,,,,, errr I mean Texas passed that stupid "Safer Vehicle Act" and made it too hard to title things like that. I hear they are backing off of that a little but haven't checked into it.

Harleyhorder
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
1999 harley FXR

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Gen Motorcycle / Other then a Virago