Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Bought another Yamaha today

Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, HD, Other. 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, wheels. Off road or street. Air, sea or land. Hyper dimensional transport.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Bought another Yamaha today

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:03 pm

It's a 2015 MT-07 ABS with 6500 km on the dial, or about 4000 mi. Bike was clean enough to eat off. Not even inside the muffler could a hint of dirt be found.

The bike had never been ridden in the rain. Naturally, it started to sizzle ever so slightly as I donned my gear. But I had to ride it at least briefly to know if it was something I wanted or not. The sound from the Arrows (legal, which seems hard to believe) full exhaust was muscular, deep and loud. I could smell in the air that more rain was coming, so I literally rode it one mile, turned around and went back as not to dirty the pristine finish.

When I took to the road, the bike had about an inch of chicken strips on both sides of the 180/55 Michelin Pilot something. When I returned, the strips were gone. I didn't intend to lean far, but the bike felt like it could be tossed about like a toy. Bike turns so easily it's ridiculous. It was a cool day and the tyres were cold as well and there were a couple of gentle, but easily controlled two-wheel slides. Silly of me nonetheless. Wet weight stock is 182 kg and the owner trimmed off 10 kg more. It is light!

Seating position is comfy even for this old body. Seat seems good as well. Engine seems very smooth, unless you give it a handful of throttle in high gear under 3k rpm. But who am I kidding - you cannot tell much in 3 miles.

What I can tell, however, is that what I've been told by journalists for a couple of decades that bikes - even budget bikes like this MT-07 - have improved and continue to improve massively almost year by year is wrong. The rear shock as too much spring for the available rebound, and going briskly over some speed bumps gave a solid kick in the arse. Fork was OK, but didn't feel spectacular in any way. Brakes felt good, but I didn't test them - at least they weren't trigger-sensitive like those I tried on a Zephyr 750 back in 1992, but easy to modulate during moderate braking.

Anyway, I decided to buy the thing. The bike is about 200 km from my home, so I will have to pick it up later. But first the weather must clear; temps between 1 and 10C today on the drive down and back home and heavy rains all evening. Brrrr!

[img width=640 height=480]http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr354/Z400G/MT-07/47_377825290_zpsbgejping.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr354/Z400G/MT-07/47_852738470_zpsuyy7f5wk.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr354/Z400G/MT-07/47_1846436504_zpsgibapjqp.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr354/Z400G/MT-07/47_1942560532_zpsgcg8donq.jpg[/img]
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel
Sex: Male

Re: Bought another Yamaha today

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:36 pm

She's a looker for sure!
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Cool! The Fiz 7 is a wonderful little bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: faffi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks!

Got my brother to drive me down in his Mini (man, does that thing stick to the road :o: :bg: ) to pick up my MT-07 today. It was a chilly day - my 200 km ride back home was against a stiff wind from north, temps between 7 and 12 C, overcast and a few sprinkles of rain. Other than tomorrow morning, the weather is promised to be cooler still and a lot wetter, so this was the best chance to get it home for a long time.

So what do I think now? Good thoughts :cl: I liked the bike better and better as I rode it. Then engine runs like a rap%¤ ape :bg: It feels more like a litre-bike than a midsize machine in that respect. Giving it full throttle in 1st will hoist the front wheel even with me leaning forward, and short-shifting into 2nd will float the wheel in the air again, and even in 3rd the wheel goes light. Fun :smoke:

Passing slower traffic is also a hoot. Going up an incline, the bike will still accelerate from 55 to 75 mph / 85-120 kph in the time it takes to round a car. In 6th gear! This is proper grunt!

The engine trembles quite a bit, especially under load below 3000 rpm. It is better probably to keep it over 4000 when giving it the beans in higher gears, but it will pull from as low as 2000 rpm in 6th if using a gentle throttle hand. Well, it will pull with good power from below that, but it really shakes when doing that. Not once did my hands give even a hint of going numb, though - I think the last time I rode a bike that didn't bother my hands at all must have been the CB350F back in 1986!

Fuel consumption was, according to the on-board computer, 4.1 litre per 100 km, or 57 mpgUS. After filling the tank to the brim and calculating the consumption, I got 3.77 l / 100 km, or 62.3 mpg. With me in a big riding suit on a road that turns and always go up or down and facing the said gale. Pretty impressive.

Handling is super-light and ultra-quick. In some ways reminding me of my old Z400 twin, but different nonetheless. Probably due to the wider tyres, the bike seems a bit more nervous and easier affected by dips and bumps in the road. Staying relaxed when cornering a little briskly is important.

Which is quite easy due to the roomy and relaxed riding position, but still will take some practice since the Z650 and Virago I'm used to during the past few years steered a lot slower. A LOT. Suspension - well, tests and owners complain about it being soft, but to me it is firm. Very firm. But it also manage to filter out most minor road undulations, allowing the road to feel smoother than on most bikes I've ridden. The Sprint ST was much softer, and comfier, but that also upset the chassis if abrupt movement was induced. And the rear shock of the GSX600F Katana was more compliant and also better controlled than the stock MT-07 unit. Still, overall it's been a long time since I had such a smooth ride on what is mostly smooth-ish roads.

The seat is hard as a plank and not a comfy place to sit, but it was also no worse after 2.5 hours in the seat. No numb-butt recorded. Even stranger - the footpegs are all-metal and ultra-thin (they look more like sticks than pegs) yet (again) for the first time in years my feet didn't hurt at all underneath. Weird.

Brakes are strong, but not sensitive. Also nice.

Dislikes? A slightly softer seat couldn't hurt, I believe, and I absolutely hate the instruments. I cannot think of a single thing that a digital speedo/tacho can do better than manual items. I find the digital, often flickering readouts annoying and they are very hard to read over analogue instruments. And a smoother running engine could also only improve the package. The headlight isn't very impressive in the tunnels and the indicator button is too close to the horn button. But these are nitpicks. Overall, the bike is great, primarily due to its engine followed by the handling and comfort. Also, economy is splendid.

I wasn't sure how I would end up feeling after the ride other than be terribly cold, but I arrived home well pleased 8)
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Always good to hear about a man losing his tits.
Good Ride Report!
G'Luk !
---Rancher

B Good! GearUP! TwistOn! GearTall RideSmall
Homage to Those We Follow - Rest In Peace Ride At Peace
but Race the Urn, Man

(Corrections to my Speeds and Mileage posted before 5/2014 (-10% above 50mph) and (-1.8%mpg) Your Stock Speedo Variation may vary) Corrected by MoDot and TrailTech on Utah Tour. Truth in Posting Law
CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 2006 XV250V 17/41
1978 CX500 - Luv a Maggot with a Twist
1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T
1976 GL1000 Old Skins in New Bones(sold)
The only Cure for Obsession is another.
OR a Divorce, que sera sera

PostAuthor: faffi » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:53 am

Thanks, mate :cl:

This bike has rekindled my love for riding :rock: So you can appreciate that I was a bit miffed when I woke up to snow today :nuclear:

Yesterday, my son and I swapped bikes for a little time. For whatever reason, he felt the MT was very heavy to steer :shock: He also said that of my Virago scrambler, which steers fairly lightly what with the raised rear end and narrower rear tyre. Not sure how he rides, because the MT-07 snaps on its side instantly. Well, it doesn't, of course, but it feels like that. The MT feels almost delicate and on the verge of nervous. I like it, which I didn't entirely expect since I have become used to bikes steering lightly, but a bit lazy, like the Virago. The quickness of which the MT can go from upright to leaned over to the edge of the tyres is stunning and almost intoxicating. And lotsa fun :bg:

Compared to the MT-07, the kid's CB400SF takes a little more effort and a lot more distance in order to change direction. It's still a very nimble bike, though, able to turn quite rapidly, but it's not trigger-quick like the little Yamaha.

But it was the power that primarily caught my son's attention. After the kid had tried a handful of throttle for the first time, I think he giggled hysterically for a couple of minutes before he could talk normally again. The difference between the CB and MT is massive. When you open the throttle on the Honda, it gently and utterly smoothly starts to accelerate. Judged by sensation, very slowly under 8000 rpm, a bit quicker from there on and up to 12500 rpm, but still feels very soft. It also feels slower than it is because on outright performance it will kill my Virago 1100 in both acceleration and top speed.

However, the MT just explodes forward, in any gear, at any rpm. Even the Virago 1100 and Intruder 1400 felt soft and lazy compared to the MT. I have never ridden a bike that reacts to throttle this immediately. The throttle doesn't feel like a rheostat, but like a trigger. Absolutely perfect, the way things should be :lol:

So after a few miles - it is not legal for him to practice on a bike with more than 47 hp - he reluctantly got back onto his own bike. He had also finally understood why I have this fondness for twins and singles over fours - they are simply more fun, more visceral. Yes, fours are "better" in that they make more power and run smoother. But more often than not they also feels and sound bland.

Now can I please have some decent weather again? I am itching to go riding. Cannot even remember the last time I was eager to get on a motorcycle for the sake of just riding, simply because the bike itself is such giggling fun :bg:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Wed May 03, 2017 5:56 pm

:rofl: :boun: :willynilly: :rofl: :boun: :willynilly: :rofl: :boun: :willynilly: :rofl:
:boun: :willynilly: :rofl: :boun: :willynilly: :rofl: :boun: :willynilly: :rofl: :boun:
:willynilly: :rofl: :boun: :willynilly: :rofl: :boun: :willynilly: :rofl: :boun: :willynilly:
ahhh THATS the way uh-huh uh-huh, I like it. uh-huh uh-huh
G'Luk !
---Rancher

B Good! GearUP! TwistOn! GearTall RideSmall
Homage to Those We Follow - Rest In Peace Ride At Peace
but Race the Urn, Man

(Corrections to my Speeds and Mileage posted before 5/2014 (-10% above 50mph) and (-1.8%mpg) Your Stock Speedo Variation may vary) Corrected by MoDot and TrailTech on Utah Tour. Truth in Posting Law
CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 2006 XV250V 17/41
1978 CX500 - Luv a Maggot with a Twist
1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T
1976 GL1000 Old Skins in New Bones(sold)
The only Cure for Obsession is another.
OR a Divorce, que sera sera

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Gen Motorcycle / Other then a Virago