VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Need help trouble shooting a fuel pump issue

Technical Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Need help trouble shooting a fuel pump issue

PostAuthor: Quarinteen » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:58 am

Hello all I posted the other day about the 88 1100 I’m rebuilding. I am having an issue with the fuel pumps. I have bought 2 of them. I connect them and they do nothing. Well one clicks a couple of time. I checked the voltage it’s getting about 6 volts when the key turns. What should it be getting on voltage? Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be I just got 2 new pumps that were bad? Never know any hell would be appreciated. Thank you all

Quarinteen
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago XV1100
Sex: Male

Re: Need help trouble shooting a fuel pump issue

PostAuthor: Quarinteen » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:26 am

I traced the wire back to the junction it’s in. Not sure what they are called. The number in the part is 0716d2 I can’t find anything on google. It’s also putting out 6 volts from there to the pump as well. With the key in but the run switch off it’s a consistent .06 volts. Once the run switch is hit it get up to 6.3 was the highest I saw.

Quarinteen
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Quarinteen » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:56 pm

I cut the wires from the connector and wired it direct to the relay. I also cut and replaced the wires to ensure they were good. I’m still only getting 6v to the pump. Can anyone verify what the voltage should be?

How does one test that relay? I know it connects to the fuel sensor too, and something else from what I’ve read. I really hope I won’t neee to replace the relay it’s getting harder and harder to find parts for this thing.

Quarinteen
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:05 pm

yep. sometimes you have to get very innovative / creative in adapting off-brand or "other" parts on old restorations.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike:_ --- or not :fan: - the bad just seems to last longer...

Any day above ground is a good day. sooo "Laissez les bon temps roulez". just roll safely --->

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."... Confucius*

"If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you do read the news you are misinformed."
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”
...Thomas Paine - 1776 December 23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine alone and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members,
so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Quarinteen » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:58 pm

Does anyone know of any other forums where I may find an answer?

Quarinteen
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:25 pm

do you have an OEM service manual? [LIT-11616-XV-11] --- see page 6-50.

should be ~12vDC. troubleshooting tells what to check if +/-
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike:_ --- or not :fan: - the bad just seems to last longer...

Any day above ground is a good day. sooo "Laissez les bon temps roulez". just roll safely --->

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."... Confucius*

"If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you do read the news you are misinformed."
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”
...Thomas Paine - 1776 December 23

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine alone and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members,
so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.

mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:17 pm

Its possible your fuel pump control unit is bad, power is supplied to it from the starter relay via a red/white wire. also, the reserve switch provides power via another r/w wire. Try cycling the reserve switch and make sure you are getting 12v on the r/w wire from the starter relay. Voltage to the pump should be 12vdc via the blue wire from the control unit.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement