VTF Google Search
 Click Here

lots of popping/backfiring through exhaust on deceleration

Technical Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

lots of popping/backfiring through exhaust on deceleration

PostAuthor: oldgreyxv750 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:24 pm

as the title says, i am getting lots of backfiring through the exhaust on deceleration.

the bike is a 1982 xv750.

the carbs have been thoroughly dis-assembled/boiled/cleaned with aerosol carb cleaner. spark plugs are new and gapped to spec. good spark on both cylinders. air filter is not new but backfiring occurs even with it removed. compression is 150 on both.
i have not checked timing ... haynes says it is non-adjustable.
there appears to be an aftermarket exhaust on the bike ...stamped "s&s headers". otherwise stock (the numbers on the jets match up with the numbers in the haynes manual).

i am focussing on the pilot screws (idle mixture screws ?). i am used to working on hondas which use a tiny washer and o-ring after the spring. i don't see these here so i am assuming that yamaha doesn't use them ??? (can't seem to locate these screws and springs on the exploded parts diagram). i have also been assuming that they are metering fuel, not air, since they are on the engine side of the carb. this would mean that screwing them out enrichens the idle mixture and screwing them in leans the mixture out.

if i am wrong on this, or if you can shed any light on the topic please chime in.

thanks
joe

oldgreyxv750
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 xv750 virago
Sex: Male

Re: lots of popping/backfiring through exhaust on decelerati

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:46 pm

don't over-look exhaust leak, make sure it's all tightly sealed.
:ider:
what's the old saying?
b/f through the carb = too lean.
b/f through the exhaust = too rich?
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:20 pm

Yes, Yamaha uses the tiny washers and O rings. If yours are missing you have an air leak at a critical location.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: oldgreyxv750 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:06 pm

no wonder i was tearing my hair out over this machine !

mark ... i had it wrong ... i thought backfire through exhaust meant "too lean".

cusstout ... thanks for the info re : washers and orings, but am now wondering did you mis-state it when you said i have an air air leak due to those being missing. wouldn't it rather be a fuel "leak" without them ... as in waaaay to rich ?

finally, can anyone help me locate those washers and orings on the parts diagram. as i said in the OP, i can't see them no matter how hard i try.

thanks for the feedback, guys ... feeling a lot more sane now !

oldgreyxv750
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:40 pm

oldgreyxv750 wrote: help me locate those washers and orings on the parts diagram. as i said in the OP, i can't see them no matter how hard i try.

Hitachi innards.PNG

Pilot Assembly.PNG

Carb components.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:21 pm

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:12 pm

There should be engine vacuum at the point the pilot screw enters the carb body. If it's not sealed with the o-ring, you would have a vacuum (air) leak causing a lean air/fuel mixture.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: oldgreyxv750 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:05 am

yes, "c" and "d" are the little devils that are missing ... and i know it wasn't me because i was looking for them during dis-assembly and was surprised to see that there was nothing there except a needle and spring.
anyhow, we have gotten to the meat of the matter and i thank you all for your help (still not finding a part number for those things though).

oldgreyxv750
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:27 am

oldgreyxv750 wrote: (still not finding a part number for those things though).

And...you won't in the manuals. You'll have to pay attention to what you have vs which one a person orders. Ones with the groove for 0-ring can usually be gotten separately thru places like "Jets R Us" or the other style, as in pic, seems to only be in rebuild kits. They maybe sold separately someplace, have never look around. My 1000, using Ver 2, Hitachi..doesn't list them. Bout the only fiche listings seems 86-87/1100, when they still used Hitachi before switching to Mikuni. Just gotta search..look..and compare. Sometimes ya get lucky. Guess, I just don't find it's worth it tracking down 1 part and hope that's the only part ya need. For what ya get, kits are cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-81-83-Vir ... B077SQHS57
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:34 pm

oldgreyxv750 wrote:no wonder i was tearing my hair out over this machine !

mark ... i had it wrong ... i thought backfire through exhaust meant "too lean".

hmmm... you may be right.
my memory keeps getting me in trouble here lately. :ider:
a 2nd opinion is always good. :):
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:12 pm

OK..here's another opinion...

Rich..backfires thru exhuast (excess/unburnt fuel go'n thru the exhaust valve)
Lean..hickups, sneeze'n, cough'n, spit'n thru the carbs.

:bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:38 pm

oldgreyxv750 wrote:yes, "c" and "d" are the little devils that are missing ... and I know it wasn't me because i was looking for them during dis-assembly and was surprised to see that there was nothing there except a needle and spring.
anyhow, we have gotten to the meat of the matter and I thank you all for your help (still not finding a part number for those things though).

Many times the O ring will be stuck inside and you will have to use a piece of small stiff wire with a hook, in the end, to get it out. I have seen the washer stuck to the O ring. If they are really missing, they are available in the K&L rebuild kit and are also available on eBay.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement