Click Here

1982 Virago XV750 Relay Help

Technical Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

1982 Virago XV750 Relay Help

PostAuthor: nblair87 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:08 pm

Hello Folks,

I've been having some problems with my Virago the last month and was hoping I could ask someone smarter than myself a few questions about the electrical ignition in the bike. About a month ago my bike stopped producing any spark on either spark plug. I think it is safe to assume that my TCI box has stopped working properly. I had a spare one from another Virago parts bike that I picked up, but no guarantees that its a known good one. So I went down to the junk yard local to me and they also have a few TCI boxes available. So I picked up a third one. Still no spark. Now I figure the chances of having three blown TCI boxes is probably pretty slim but I'm going to pick up a fourth one tomorrow and try again. I've checked the pick-up coils I'm getting 156 ohms on each one. I've checked my ignition coils to the specs in the shop manual, I've checked my spark plugs and replaced them with brand new ones twice. Still no spark. My bikes kick stand switch was by-passed by the original owner of the bike. The clutch safety switch was also by-passed. The only other thing I'm not sure of is the relays. I'm not 100% sure on how to test the 4U8-00 the 3H5-00 and the 12R-01. I was hoping someone could give me a step by step on testing the diodes in them and making sure they are functioning correctly. My other question was if someone could tell me the relay part numbers associated with each relay. So if the headlight relay is a 4U8-00, or a 3H5-00 or the 12R-01. I think maybe they might have been jumbled during my testing of the wiring harness to check for broken wires and continuity. So if someone could list the part number for the Starter Relay, the Cut-off Relay, the Headlight Relay and the Kickstand Relay, I would be super grateful.

Thanks,

Nathan

nblair87
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: 1982 Virago XV750 Relay Help

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:58 pm

The oil level light could be the problem or the neutral switch.

What I would do is cut the Black/White wire at the TCI, and tape the ends. Be sure to leave enough to splice back together.

That will bypass all of the safeties.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: nblair87 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Hmm I’ll give this a shot when I get home from work tonight. Should let me know if it’s the TCI or the safety circuit. Thanks!

Don’t happen to know the part numbers assigned to each relay?

nblair87
Brand New
Brand New

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:00 pm

nblair87 wrote: My other question was if someone could tell me the relay part numbers associated with each relay. So if the headlight relay is a 4U8-00, or a 3H5-00 or the 12R-01. I think maybe they might have been jumbled during my testing of the wiring harness to check for broken wires and continuity. So if someone could list the part number for the Starter Relay, the Cut-off Relay, the Headlight Relay and the Kickstand Relay, I would be super grateful.

5A284742-9E67-48CA-A7A3-8CDC1FABCE7E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: nblair87 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:27 pm

That’s exactly what I was looking for! I looked all over but they were all missing that piece of information. Thanks again!

nblair87
Brand New
Brand New

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Tech"