1992 Virago electrical system issue

Technical Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

1992 Virago electrical system issue

PostAuthor: krickmann250 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:16 am

Hello All,
Thanks for your help in advance.
I have a 1992 Yamaha Virago 750 with about 32,000 miles on it. Last season I had problems with the bike cutting out after the battery went out. This season I've changed the stator, the regulator and the battery. As far as I can tell all components are working right, but when I check the stator output with the engine running I get a 12.20 reading at idle jumping only to about 12.41 at 2000rpm. The specs say that at 2000rpm I should be getting an output of between 13.5-14.5.
I'm looking for suggestions on what to do next to figure this out. The battery is a new Yuasa and was tested at full charge and just now above 12.5 at rest prior to staring the bike.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

krickmann250
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 750 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: 1992 Virago electrical system issue

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:33 pm

You are using the wrong specs, output at the battery should be 14 VDC at 5000 RPM. Could be a bad R/R. If this test fails, Unplug the stator to R/R plug and check the AC voltage with the engine running at idle and up to 3000 RPM. Then, with the ignition off, Check each wire to ground and against each other. There should be no shorts to ground and the resistance between the white stator wires should be 0.5 ohms.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: krickmann250 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:07 pm

Thanks much! I’ll give this a try and post results soon!

krickmann250
Brand New
Brand New

Flag

PostAuthor: krickmann250 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Ok so I tried with the new specs at 5000 rpm and had readings that kept jumping from 12.5 to 14+ to 13 and kept changing. Perhaps this was the result of poor contacts to the system but it seems that a charge is being delivered. Any further thoughts on this would be welcomed.

krickmann250
Brand New
Brand New

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:19 pm

All your electrical connections [both dis-connectable male/female & bolt-down, particularly ground-earths] should be sanded shiny and be tight. (dielectric grease optional)

this includes battery terminals and cables, too - even neg.cable-end between the frame and engine, plus the reg/rec also.

even better, make sure handlebar switches are clean/tight, too.

sounds to me like you have a connection failing, causing intermittent flow.

variability should relate to rpm only, other should be considered a "short".
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Tech"