VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Clutch problems with an 82 xv750

Technical Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Clutch problems with an 82 xv750

PostAuthor: Bland23 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:18 pm

I just picked up an 82 xv750. Bike had no oil in it and no gas. sat on the bike, pulled in clutch lever and the cable pulled through the case. I popped off the cover and saw that the adjustment linkage had no spring attached, had been broken and welded back, pushrod set screw is crossthreaded and stripped. and the tab to retain the cable was substituted with a hose clamp. The pushrod has quite a bit of play to it and I don't know how to rectify the situation. With everything connected the cable moves freely in the casing with the clutch lever. If I hold the lever down as a spring would provide tension I still do not get a clutch engagement to roll while in gear. Could my clutch fibers and steels be bound up rendering my clutch cable useless? I have a lot of issues to tackle with this bike. I hope I didnt post to much in one post. This is my first post. Any help is greatly appreciated

Bland23
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 xv750 virago
Sex: Male

Re: Clutch problems with an 82 xv750

PostAuthor: chrismalm » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:53 am

If your engine sat with no oil for a long time the clutch plates could be stuck together.
Here's a link to a parts supplier and a diagram of your clutch :
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1982/virago-750-xv750j/clutch
It looks like most parts are still available.

Edit :
Welcome to VTF ! We are volunteers and this website survives on donations.
Chris Malm
chrismalm
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XZ550H
1982 XZ550H (project)
1982 XV750 (project)
1982 XV920 (project)

PostAuthor: Bland23 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:03 am

Should my clutch push rod have any resistance to it? It slides in and out. Since the set screw is mauled I wonder if should just tear it apart and go

Bland23
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: chrismalm » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:34 am

Yes the push rod pushes against the clutch cover & springs on the right side of the engine.
Sounds like you'll have to take the covers off both sides to diagnose and correct the problem.
Chris Malm
chrismalm
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XZ550H
1982 XZ550H (project)
1982 XV750 (project)
1982 XV920 (project)

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:14 pm

:yup:

I would replace (at least) #9 & #10 which are still available OEM because the '3-ball-gizmo' is inclined to cause mischief by itself with-out enticement.

FWIW: even with oil, the clutch pack can stick together. the fiber ones can interact with the steel ones to form a vacuum-like state that holds them all locked-up.

judging from the # of posts about it over the years - it must happen frequently. :con:

"generally" speaking you'll probly find the plates are ok, but it might be worth it to replace the 'fiber' ones. [since you have it down anyways]
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:11 pm

:yup:
:VTF:

The minimum wear limit on those fibers are .11" (2.8mm") But like Mark said, they're so damn thin in the first place, not worth trying to clean them. Just replace. Besides, if they are burnt, you'll never get them reconditioned.
I'd also want to add little tidbit that's often over looked, if you do replace the clutch pack. When reassembling, look closely at the inner teeth/tangs on the "Steel" plates. You'll notice one side is beveled, the other side is flat. Just make sure they all face the same direction (in or out). Doesn't matter how whole pack faces, just that they're all the same. Almost all the time the steels don't have to be replaced (unless warped)... just clean-up any varnishing. I usually just wipe with acetone, but if stubborn.. 3in1 oil and fine sand paper. But most any method works.
Same-thing on the fibers. One (external) tooth will have 2 cut-outs...180° tooth will have just one. Just line them up. Not entire sure if all fiber kits are like this, but just incase you're fibers do.
After 5 post you'll be able to download the manual, if you don't have one already.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Bland23 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:37 pm

I took the cover off, removed clutch basket cover. Checked clutch fibers and steels. They were stuck together but looked pretty good. My push rod still dangles around not doing anything. I believe I should pull the cover on the left now. Noticed some wear on one of the gears when I removed the cover. I'm kind of discouraged at this point. I was laid off this morning and I still cant get this thing rolling.

Bland23
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Bland23 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Update, I removed the left cover. Someone had replaced the 3 ball cam already. However, the push rod just on the other side does not push inward what so ever it pulls toward me (out the left side) almost all the way out. If I can find the parts. This motor is coming apart. Its driving me nuts

Bland23
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Bland23 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:55 am

Update, put a washer on the backside of the clutch basket. Clutch works like a charm now. Wish I could fix it properly. I just dont know how

Bland23
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:54 pm

may be an issue with the throw-out bearing? #19 >>> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... 597/clutch

or thrust plate #22? >>> :con:

shall I mark this solved?

so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Bland23 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:50 pm

Well, i basically added another 20 in between 20 and 30. I'm not sure if it is any more than a temporary fix as I haven't yet ran the bike. If you want to mark as solved feel free. But I just wish I had a better fix. Sometimes things can be simple.

Bland23
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:40 pm

JMO; the 'better' fix would be to replace those 'bad' parts and start-over with fresh, like # 12, 6, 8, 9, 10 at least >>> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... 597/clutch

since those parts are required for correct clutch adjustment, and being 'all-tied-together', plus you describe some are thread-stripped or other-wise messed-up I would just replace them all while they are available OEM.
[in a few years it might no longer be so]

... Mark Twain

mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Tech"