Click Here

how to test/trigger spark generation

Technical Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

how to test/trigger spark generation

PostAuthor: ma920rtin » Sat May 04, 2019 10:11 pm

Hello,
If I understand things correctly CDI stores electric charge in a capacitor and when triggered sends that charge to ignition coils.
From what I read the trigger comes from flywheel movement, there's some kind of a detector there that measures when magnetic poles are reversed.
Is there a way to replicate that process without the engine actually running? I'd imagine that should be possible by running voltage through correct wires, but I don't know how exactly.
I'd like to test ignition system after rewiring it to make sure CDI and ignition coils are connected correctly.
If anyone knows how to make this work or has other ideas I'd appreciate your help.
Thanks,

Martin

ma920rtin
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 xv920r
Sex: Male

Re: how to test/trigger spark generation

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:49 am

First of all, the Virago has a TCI, Transistor Controlled Ignition; not a CDI Capacitor Discharge Ignition. Totally different animals...
The TCI controls the ignition timing so each cylinder gets spark at the correct position of the Crankshaft. It works as follows: A timing pulse is generated by the flywheel turning which excites the PU (pick up) coil or coils depending on the model and year. Some models have two PU's and later models only one. That pulse is sent to the TCI at the proper time causing the TCI to release a ground pulse to the ignition coil causing the coil to discharge its secondary voltage which provides a spark to the proper cylinder at the proper timing. The only way to check the Virago ignition system is with the engine rotating via the starter. You can disconnect the fuel lines and drain the carbs and check for a spark that way. Make sure you plug your fuel lines to prevent fuel leakage.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Re: how to test/trigger spark generation

PostAuthor: ma920rtin » Sat May 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Hello,
Thanks for your help, I'll give it a try. Need to put in new starter motor first.
Thanks a lot,

M

ma920rtin
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 xv920r

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Tech"