Forum Donations
Online Users

In total there are 22 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests

Most users ever online was 141 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:36 pm

Registered users: ahh_chit, benuh60, Chaozu, Google [Bot], JrZook, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

86 Virago 1100 Sputtering

• Advertisement

Post a reply

86 Virago 1100 Sputtering

PostAuthor: Racing1278 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:10 pm

I was on a ride the bike was running fine and then out of no where it would spit and sputter could go full throttle and would not go any faster and was still sputtering and if I am not mistaken would backfire a few times. Shortly after it started it ran fine and then a few miles later the same thing. I changed the plugs and remember it had a fuel filter which I had not changed since I bought on 2000. I did a run the following weekend and it was fine no spit or sputter. Then went on a run and about 80 miles or so it came back, but this time I was able to maintain speed and then it dissappeared again and came back twice during the 105 mile run. The air filter was dirty but not to the point it would totally block out air flow. Any ideas as to what is the cause? Plugs are gapped to approx 28 or so and the are thr BPES7 NGK plugs, I almost always run lucas gas treatment in the gas.Can't tell which cylinder is acting up or if it's both but I am thinking possible rear, It has run fine with no problems since 2000. Any suggestion of help would be appericated. Have another run on Sat and want to fix it before then or I will have to ride and keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks,
Rob
1986 Virago XV1100 w/fuel pump

Racing1278
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago XV1100 w/Gold package
Sex: Male

Re: 86 Virago 1100 Sputtering

PostAuthor: Streetmedik » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:16 pm

Have you checked for a vacuum leak? HAve you chedked the condition of the battery? These bikes can act really wierd if the battery is not good. THey are picky about theie electrons.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700 ENGINEcycle

˙uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʞıq ɹnoʎ ǝpıɹ ʇ,uop

Streetmedik
Mod
Mod

Location: Henryetta, Oklahoma, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster .... Flag
Bike year & model: 1985 XV700N Virago (138,500 miles and counting (222,894 km)) <<i equitare, ergo sum>>

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:00 pm

:yup:
the TCI is a power glutton, and is not happy unless it's getting all it wants.
check battery with VOM; at least 12.5v - standing, 14v or > @ 3-4K rpm.
if your battery is 2 years or more - replace it (it's prolly near dead) :skull:
you can get a cheap small hygrometer @ auto supply (~$5) and check each cell. spec grav 1.28 or correct color balls floating (depends on which h-meter you get) :con:

clean/tighten your battery connections, specially the ground at battery and frame.
clean/tighten connections to TCI (black box attached to rear lower fender).

unscrew your spark plug caps and clip ~ 1/4" off, then screw them back on (making certain the center wire touches the 'screw' in the center of cap)

if you have the caps that come apart (OEM)-
look in the end where the plug goes in, you will see the brass thing has slots for flat screwdriver,
unscrew that - pay attention to the order stuff comes out;
spring, washer, resistor (I think that's right) :ider:
replace the resistor with an equal size piece of 10 penny nail or brass rod.

try some Bosch Plats #4037 (WR9LP+) @ 0.028"

let us know what happens.
New Members;
To insure accuracy, and speed regarding your question please add your bike's year and size to your signature or Avatar.

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any day above ground is a good day.
....................................................................................

'82 - XV750 Virago
'86 - VFR500-Interceptor aka VF500F
'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

tempus fugit ... time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ...... or not ... :fan:
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Racing1278 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:24 am

Update... I had not had a chance to much with the bike. Until now I picked up a coil which the seller said was from an 93 XV100 put it in but now turn the key and things light up, fuel pump whirls but hit start button nothing not even a clicking. I charged the battery and same thing. I did notice when charging the battery if charging at a higher amp it was full but when I pulled the chg clamp chg to 2amp was not full. Thinking battery is shot. Odd thing is that the first time I charged it bfr the coil chg it started right up but only afer seeing that the red wire by the battery was acting up. I taped up the connector but still seems loose. There is contact and the connectors are together but the fore mention when I chg the 2nd time and it did nothing I could hear the battery making a sizzling or bubbling noise when I hit the start button. I have to chase some wire and prob redo the wires. My main question is that I pulled the coil out leaving one wire connected to ensure if interuppted I would remember what when were. So I put them back on as they were but will a 93 coil fit my 86 and also I ready in a few diff post from various sources that in some the coil post and wiring were switched around. The coils I have look pretty much the same. The spark plug caps are diff as the ones on my bike were NGK and the replacement I got appears OEM. Could the prob be that the wiring on the rear coil be diff from 93 to 86 and is killing my batt or causing a short? I will buy a new batt as this one is a few yers old now but had it out and running (Still with the sputtering) a few weeks ago. I have Headlight, Netural Light but I did notice when I hit the horn it did not work so I am guessing the that was due to battery.

Racing1278
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Racing1278 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:48 am

I also got to thinking to test if the coil is reverse inside could I not pull the wires of the rear coil and see if it allows the bike to turn over or would this have nothing to do with what I mentioned on my eariler post.

Racing1278
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Streetmedik » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:09 am

you could pull the red/white and the grey and orange wires from the coils and try and see if the engine will turn over... if not, the problem is elsewhere..

I personally do not see the coils stopping it from turning over...
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700 ENGINEcycle

˙uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʞıq ɹnoʎ ǝpıɹ ʇ,uop

Streetmedik
Mod
Mod

Location: Henryetta, Oklahoma, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster .... Flag
Bike year & model: 1985 XV700N Virago (138,500 miles and counting (222,894 km)) <<i equitare, ergo sum>>

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:11 am

The Orange wire from the TCI goes on the rear coil and the grey wire on the front coil. Both get red/white wires on the other primary post. Make sure you have power to the R/W wires when you switch on the ignition. The sizzling sounds like a loose battery or ground wire. The coil changing should have nothing to do with the starter turning the engine. Check your fuses.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
1999 Honda Goldwing GL1500 Touring
1990 Yamaha XT600EAC Dual Sport

PostAuthor: Racing1278 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:20 pm

The noise is actually coming from the battery when I hit the button. I know the red main wire coming down by the battery was an issue when I fully chgd the battery and had nothing then I jiggled it and it fired up. I did not think chg'g the coil would cause the issue as for the other stuff I will have to go thru that later this week when I am off. The is pretty clean but will double check the ground and see about getting to the tci and cleaning the connections as well. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get the beast back up and running and the rear sputtering was the coil and not the carb. Will keep ya posted
bstig60 wrote:The Orange wire from the TCI goes on the rear coil and the grey wire on the front coil. Both get red/white wires on the other primary post. Make sure you have power to the R/W wires when you switch on the ignition. The sizzling sounds like a loose battery or ground wire. The coil changing should have nothing to do with the starter turning the engine. Check your fuses.

Racing1278
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Racing1278 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:21 pm

The noise is actually coming from the battery when I hit the button. I know the red main wire coming down by the battery was an issue when I fully chgd the battery and had nothing then I jiggled it and it fired up. I did not think chg'g the coil would cause the issue as for the other stuff I will have to go thru that later this week when I am off. The is pretty clean but will double check the ground and see about getting to the tci and cleaning the connections as well. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get the beast back up and running and the rear sputtering was the coil and not the carb. Will keep ya posted
bstig60 wrote:The Orange wire from the TCI goes on the rear coil and the grey wire on the front coil. Both get red/white wires on the other primary post. Make sure you have power to the R/W wires when you switch on the ignition. The sizzling sounds like a loose battery or ground wire. The coil changing should have nothing to do with the starter turning the engine. Check your fuses.

Racing1278
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Racing1278 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:22 pm

Streetmedik wrote:you could pull the red/white and the grey and orange wires from the coils and try and see if the engine will turn over... if not, the problem is elsewhere..

I personally do not see the coils stopping it from turning over...

Racing1278
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

Return to Virago - Tech Help