VTF Google Search
 Click Here

1986 xv750 backfiring

Technical Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

1986 xv750 backfiring

PostAuthor: Espiritu204 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:05 pm

i changed my sparkplugs, and engine oil using 10w-40 and now its backfiring a lot... just got the bike anyone know what the problem might be??

Espiritu204
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1986 xv750 virago
Sex: Male

Re: 1986 xv750 backfiring

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:28 am

:VTF:
Espiritu204 wrote:now its backfiring a lot... just got the bike anyone know what the problem might be??

Suggest getting or D/L a manual for your bike and start researching what-does-what and why.

How did it run "before" doing what you did? Is it just "now" backfiring at idle, acceleration, deceleration, just revving..etc?

Gotta be right up there among the top 5 questions of "new" bike owners. The list "can" be quite extensive try'n to eliminate "all" possibilities..at times. Any where from carbs being off (dirty/not set right), electrical, air intake, to emission plumbing going haywire. Or..could be as simple as plug'n off an air and/or vacuum leak. Then again...sometimes..ya just gotta live with it. Least it let's ya know it's still running. :bg:
Are you sure bout the date of your bike? Years and locations always trips me up. Here in the states, there was a lull for the 750s..84'-87'. Also a difference from Gen I to Gen II Viragos, depending on the year. What is your general location?
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:38 pm

Howdy!

Welcome to VTF.

:yup:

adding your general location makes replies easier to pinpoint correct answers - some variations in all Generations of xv are subtle, others not so-much (as said) but there are also some market-where-sold variations.
i.e. Gen-II 1984-86 / 750 was sold in EU & Asia --- USA = 700 only D/T tariffs

B/F through the exhaust or carbs?
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:29 am

:yup: Just to add that we had the 750 in Canada in '84-86 as well. When I look at the Yamaha parts list for those years I always use the XV 700 listings.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Espiritu204 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:56 pm

my bike is a 1986 yamaha xv750 virago. it wasnt running as powerful when i got it so i decided to change the oil and spark plugs... made a big difference, bike is now pulling/ way more torque but when decelerating it does back fire a lot. I put seafoam in the gas tank and let it run for 10minutes. didnt make a difference. not sure if maybe the carb is dirty??

Espiritu204
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1986 xv750 virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:35 pm

sounds like it is, but not too-dirty, or you would have other issues, like not starting or running.

do the "seafoam trick" while riding it all-day long, see if that doesn't help.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: OnlyJoshin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:30 pm

Check your plugs. Black? White? Proper gap?
1996 Xv1100 in a hard tail 1986 Xv750 frame :cl:

OnlyJoshin
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1986/96 xv1100 hardtail

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Tech"