VTF Google Search
 Click Here

95 xv750 will not stall and has trouble going into gear

Technical Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

95 xv750 will not stall and has trouble going into gear

PostAuthor: jkaufman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:12 am

So I bought a 95 xv750 a while ago as my first bike. The bike was not running when I got it but after rebuilding the carbs putting in new plugs changing the oil the bike is running great. About two weeks ago I took it for its first ride and it was running great no problems or anything. The next day I did the same but when I first got on it I couldn't get it to go into gear. After a bit of fooling around I got it in gear but it would not stall or accelerate. This only lasted a few minutes and then I was back riding it but it had a power lag, the rpms would go up but then I would have a delayed acceleration. I thought that it had to be my clutch so I put the bike back up and took out the plates and inspected them and measured them and they all seemed to be fine. I put the bike on the center stand and started it up again and now its the same thing. The bike will go into gear with some messing around but will not stall. There is also no resistance on the back tire when it is in the air I can spin it like its in neutral. I dont know alot about bikes I also have my boss helping me who knows more than I do but is confused by whats happening too. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated because I am lost on what to do. feel free to ask me more questions if you need a better understanding of something. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

jkaufman
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 xv750
Sex: Male

Re: 95 xv750 will not stall and has trouble going into gear

PostAuthor: drainplug » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:33 am

Sounds like you need to do an adjustment on the clutch, if I understand your description correctly.
After 5 posts you can download a manual for your bike from this site, or you could try a you tube about it.
The wise gardener shakes the tree
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:06 pm

OK, drainplug may be correct, but this is what I'd do first. The shift linkage may be dry and binding. Pry the rubber boots up with a flat screwdriver and flush the joints with WD40 or similar spray lube. That may help you with gear changes and it happens a lot.

Next, which is very important. You did an oil change and everything was fine before the change, my question is, "what oil did you use ? "

If you used oil that has friction modifiers ( teflon etc ) that would cause your slippage. Since this is your 1st bike, I would advise you to use wet clutch specific oil at least until you gain much more experience on maintenance.

This is also important to get the right help:

Please add your location to your profile so no one has to ask in the future. With members all over the globe, some info is geographically specific.

Add your location at this link -----> ucp.php?i=264

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: jkaufman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:51 pm

When we engage the clutch the clutches are separating and when we disengage the clutch there is still some movement in between the plates. The oil I used is what the yamaha dealership told me to use for the bike. The shift linkage is fine and I messed a lot with the adjustments. The problem seems to be more like something isnt engaging when the bike does go into gear the tire is still free spinning. Thank you for the quick responses I did add my location too.

jkaufman
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Get yourself a service manual and do a proper clutch adjustment. Exactly what oil did you put in the crankcase?
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: jkaufman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:51 pm

I have the service manual but I really do not think it is an adjustment problem. Does anyone else have any other ideas to what it might be im just so lost it makes no sense. Even if it was not adjusted properly would it not at least spin the tire when it is in gear. I rode it around perfectly fine with the clutch adjusted the way it was it did not change.

jkaufman
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:43 pm

You say the linkage is fine without following my advice. You used the oil the dealer recommended, Bill and I both asked what you used. What the dealer recommended is not an answer.

You say the clutch is adjusted properly, is it really ?

I’m sorry, you seem to be unwilling to do as suggested and answer questions, and tell us that everything is as it should be except for ( what I suspect) clutch slippage. The shifter linkage is probably dry and now misadjusted.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: jkaufman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:23 pm

I apologize its just the bike is not at my house it is at my bosses along with the oil I did not mean to blow you guys off. I will get back shortly with the oil and me and him will do the proper clutch adjustment in the book. Sorry. Just frustrated I put a lot of work in got it registered and insured and got my permit and after finally getting to ride it the day after something goes wrong. But let me get back to you on those things, I appreciate the help.

jkaufman
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: jkaufman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:52 pm

Ok so the oil I used is Yamalube 10-40 by the shift linkage do you mean the actual shifter peg?

jkaufman
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:59 am

No! The shift lever has an adjustable linkage that requires lubrication from time to time. When it gets dry, it is difficult to shift. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamah ... hift-shaft Items 13 and 18 need to be lubed...
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

jkaufman wrote:So I bought a 95 xv750 a while ago as my first bike. ... I thought that it had to be my clutch so I put the bike back up and took out the plates and inspected them and measured them and they all seemed to be fine. ...

sounds like displaced 3-ball gizmo - #8 - ---> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... e9d/clutch

as said: hose out your shift linkage joints, do a proper full adjustment. if no change then you need to pull siade case and reset the 3-ball retainer - use vaseline to help hold it in-place while reassembling;
and never touch the handlebar lever while the adjuster-nut [#14] is loose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:18 pm

:yup:
You really never said "how" your shift lever felt. Is it sloppy, dangly, sticky etc etc. Other than hard going into gear. If/when you decide you have to take that side cover off (as Mark mentioned), you might wanna also check out the two torsion springs on the shift shaft. One (or more) of the legs could have bent/broke/shifted/whatever. Worse case, I suppose, could also be one of the select forks is goofy. That's something, I'm afraid, only you can check out.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Tech"