VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Rich Running XV750

Technical Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Rich Running XV750

PostAuthor: Conlyfe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Hello all I recently got my 1996 XV750 back from getting some exhaust work put on the bike. After riding it for a few weeks I could not help but notice the smell of gasoline still. I pulled the plugs out and noticed that the tips of them were solid black indicating a rich condition??? I know an easy way around this would be to get the carbs rejetted but that can be pretty costly and I do not know what kind of jets to get as the exhaust is more of a combination of custom work and a slip-on. I also pulled the air box off of my bike today and noticed that it looks like somebody literally shot a hole through it with a shotgun and it is all torn up. If I were to replaced the paper element air filter with a high flow K&N filter, will that help out with the rich running condition that I have with the bike right now??? The bike was running good, so it seemed. I started it today and it will idle fine but when you get in the bike to ride it, There is little to no throttle response, Which is another reason i pulled the plugs. It looks like I am getting very little spark fro the plugs right now anyways from how they are looking. I had a similar problem about 2 months ago when my bike was sputtering and misfiring. I replaced the plugs and the bike ran normal up until now. When I pulled the plugs two months ago, The tips looked like they were fried and almost looked like old BBQ Charcoal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. When I figure out how to post Pictures I will post the spark plug and air filter picture.

Conlyfe
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: New bars, Throttle cable slack, High Idle

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:01 pm

that's how most of us learned.

and why a good manual can be so important.

also not to mention free access to the decades of hands-on experience and great technical minds of the folks here at VTF.

be systematic and address one issue at a time - that way you know which change did what.

sounds like the PO was trying to address the "rich" condition ["rich" being too much fuel or too little air in the mixture]

while it could come to 'jetting', it could well be only adjustment needed.

I would go from "outside-in", that is, start with permanent fixes like exhaust system condition, air-box correction, then air-filter, then carb adjustment.
going from the most general to the most specific in correction/adjustment because the carb will be influenced be each - but that's JMO.

thing to never-forget about XV is the condition / situation of the battery --- is it fully charged/operational because the TCI demands priority to run right (it being such a power hog).

FWIW: i would not worry too much about removing/installing the carbs, there is a learning curve, but once you get the feel-of-it, you can do it in no-time-at-all. [and it is a nice skill to have in the kit]
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Re: New bars, Throttle cable slack, High Idle

PostAuthor: Conlyfe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:21 pm

So are you recommending to stay with the stock air filter? Would a K&N help with the rich condition? Or???
Last edited by Jake on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Two posts moved to new thread

Conlyfe
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Re: Rich Running XV750

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:52 am

:yup: (what Mark said) and... :VTF:

Conlyfe wrote: If I were to replaced the paper element air filter with a high flow K&N filter, will that help out with the rich running condition that I have with the bike right now???

I'd say no. Even if additional incoming air (thru some sort of mod) was to even out the A/F mixture going to the combustion chambers (on an overly rich mixture), it would still "could be" in a rich condition for that or any particular engine. Even though the mixture was balanced, it's gotta be a balance A/F mixture for that particular engine, to begin with. If it were rich, adding more air, you'd still be rich, maybe balanced, but still... the overall "volume" of the A/F mixture would be more than needed. Kinda like saying: this carb needs a #124 jet, but there's a #136 in there. And then we say, oh just add more air. Doesn't quite work like that. Hope that makes sense. It could be just a matter of a decent cleaning of all ports and a few new rebuild carb parts. Personally..I don't go in for the K&N hype. Sure they look nice/fancy. Even used them on bikes and cars/trucks, but for the price, any decent oiled foam filter will give ya just as many years of service. Foam oil lot cheaper, too. Than the re-charge kits needed to re-oil K&Ns (cuz of the cloth element). Only time I've found K&N beneficial was on the super modified engines. That's usually NOT on bikes. Even OEM paper elements will give ya years of service..if people would just blow them out, once-in-awhile :bg: Besides, unless ya gots a modified intake/carb set-up, like a single carb or what ever to show off those fancy filters, you're not going to see it.heh Least, that's how I see it. YMMV
What kinda exhaust work? Open it up or is it stock/OEM type. More restrictive..that could also contribute to overly rich. etc etc etc
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:04 am

The K&N will make some difference because you will be getting more air into the mix. I would suggest changing the plugs to Autolite Ap63 Platinum's or the Bosch equivelent. These plugs are one step hotter than the stock NGK's.
Where are the pilot screws set? I would suggest turning them clockwise 1/2 turn and see how the plugs look after a good ride... Assuming you are still running the stock Mikuni's.....
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package (sold)
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A

PostAuthor: Conlyfe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:46 pm

"What kinda exhaust work? Open it up or is it stock/OEM type. More restrictive..that could also contribute to overly rich. etc etc etc"[/quote]

The exhaust work was removal of the cat converter and attaching a harley sportster muffler. The exhaust is now 2 into 1.

Conlyfe
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:28 pm

stock XL muffler could be more restrictive.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Michael Torre » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Conlyfe wrote:Hello all I recently got my 1996 XV750 back from getting some exhaust work put on the bike. After riding it for a few weeks I could not help but notice the smell of gasoline still. I pulled the plugs out and noticed that the tips of them were solid black indicating a rich condition??? I know an easy way around this would be to get the carbs rejetted but that can be pretty costly and I do not know what kind of jets to get as the exhaust is more of a combination of custom work and a slip-on. I also pulled the air box off of my bike today and noticed that it looks like somebody literally shot a hole through it with a shotgun and it is all torn up. If I were to replaced the paper element air filter with a high flow K&N filter, will that help out with the rich running condition that I have with the bike right now??? The bike was running good, so it seemed. I started it today and it will idle fine but when you get in the bike to ride it, There is little to no throttle response, Which is another reason i pulled the plugs. It looks like I am getting very little spark fro the plugs right now anyways from how they are looking. I had a similar problem about 2 months ago when my bike was sputtering and misfiring. I replaced the plugs and the bike ran normal up until now. When I pulled the plugs two months ago, The tips looked like they were fried and almost looked like old BBQ Charcoal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. When I figure out how to post Pictures I will post the spark plug and air filter picture.

Something changed to make a bike run so rich. You may have to backtrack your steps. To answer your question directly the K&N will let it run a little bit lean but if you have the stock airbox there's only so much that it will do for you. Taking their box completely off will make it run very lean to the point of possibly causing some damage.

Check to see if your choke cable is tight or binding and not closing after you start the bike eliminate all possibilities of over rich mixture.

There is no logical reason why your float level would have changed. If you are float valves are slowly starting to leak that could give a higher float level and the resulting Rich running conditions...... eventually the bike will flood and foul the plugs immediately and just refuse to run.

with a flooded (diluted oil) crank sump and damaged engine.

If you're loud pipes that save lives are THAT free-flowing (straight) your bike will not perform any way.....

If you cannot detect any misfire I would concentrate on your Carburetors and your fuel level and your fuel delivery.

The bottom line is that jetting to make the bike run proper is not that big of a deal. You just have to settle on what air filter you're going to use and what exhaust system you're going to use and go from there one step to the time changing only one thing at a time.
M->
Truth........when the Word and the Deed become One.
Michael Torre
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 96 XV1100

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:35 pm

If the air filter was all torn up "looks like someone shot it with a shotgun" where did all the torn up paper bits go? Into the air box/frame? Maybe some critter made a nest in there and blocked off air to the carbs? No one has suggested it because it's not a great idea, to run it this way for any length of time, but you could try running it with no air filter. That should help to determine if a free flowing filter would make a difference before spending the money to buy one.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Tech"