Click Here

ABS - or not?

Technical Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

ABS - or not?

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:35 am

What is your take on ABS?

Personally, I used to dislike them when first exposed to them in the 1990s, both for the complexity and the abysmal performance. My Ford Scorpios had terrible ABS, as did my 2004 Mondeo, and the slippier the road was, the worse they performed. Bikes were also crude, significantly prolonging brake distances over that of a reasonably trained hand.

But today, my perspective has changed. The ABS on my 2015 Yamaha MT07 was splendid, and when locking up the front of my Deauville yesterday as I hit a strip of unexpectedly low-friction asphalt, I was reminded again that ABS really is better for safety. I locked up under braking testing, so I could just let go of the brake and save the day. But if it was a real panic situation and I had to stop for let's say a tractor, ABS could easily have made the difference between a safe stop and a crash.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel
Sex: Male

Re: ABS - or not?

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:18 am

I have mixed opinions about ABS, both my jeep and cube has ABS and they seem to work fine. I have never had it on a bike, so I can't speak to how they perform. Some love them on Bikes and others don't. So I guess its a matter of personal taste....
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package (sold)
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A

PostAuthor: nanno » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:15 am

It really depends on the bike in my opinion. If you have something with a really long wheelbase, such as a Yamaha XV of sorts, I consider it rather superfluous. On the other hand, on something with short wheelbase, e.g. a modern KTM 690, it can be quite the life saver. Even though it means, you can't do stoppies (front wheel stands), without pulling the fuse on the ABS...
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at (My blog - Greasygreg.blogspot.co.at)
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar
1984 XT500 4Valve (Austrian Tax saving edition)
1979 RD250/R5/DS7-hodgepodge (in bits)

PostAuthor: faffi » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:02 pm

My former MT07 could do stoppies without activating the ABS. MOTORRAD tested the XJ6 and it would do stoppies 2-up without the ABS coming in. Not all bikes have sensors to keep the bikes level.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Tech"