VTF Google Search
 Click Here

535 Fork seal HELP!!

Technical Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

535 Fork seal HELP!!

PostAuthor: Stromfirth » Tue May 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Trying to change the fork seals in my 535 - how to heel do you get the allen key out of the bottom? Have tried jerking it, have tried jamming it but with no success. What is the trick to this.
Please Help!
Stromfirth
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 xv250s
1991 XV535
Sex: Female

Re: 535 Fork seal HELP!!

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue May 15, 2018 6:00 pm

If I understand you correctly by "allen key"..you are meaning "allen bolt"? Not totally familiar with the innards of the 535, but if they're like the rest of the Virago family... First..keep every thing together...spring, spacer, fork cap etc. This will keep tension on the damper and keeps it from spinning (fingers crossed & choice words helps)..... zip it off with a high rate impact driver (usually). Easiest if you raise the front of the bike and take the wheel off...or take the forks off the bike. Otherwise, you may have to remove the fork caps, springs etc...and use the special tool (basically a 19mm (IIRC) hex head allen or bolt head w/22" extension of some sort) or a broom handle (tapered & wrapped in duct tape) to hold the damper from spinning on ya. I have, in extreme cases, put heat on the allen bolt. But getting that damper rod to hold solid is the key.

http://www.viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=277087
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: 535 Fork seal HELP!!

PostAuthor: jenaliaanderson » Wed May 16, 2018 6:45 am

This is very helpful, thanks for sharing.

jenaliaanderson
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: hero model 2013
Sex: Female

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Tech"