VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Gear shifter sticking(SOLVED)

Technical Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Gear shifter sticking(SOLVED)

PostAuthor: DaveLister » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:06 am

I've recently been having problems with the gear shifter being stiff.

Everything was fine, until I didn't ride it for a week then when I went back to it I couldn't shift gear. The gears engage, but I have to shift up by using my heel and pulling my leg back, rather than just pushing it up with my toes like you're supposed to.

After topping up the oil, it freed itself off but sometimes needed a gentle nudge to make it return. The spring seems to be okay, it feels more like just salt water has got to it and made it seize up a little as when I rode it the day after it was really stiff again after sitting.

Would like to know other people's thoughts.

Do you think it is just the external linkage that needs oiling, and the shift shaft thing pulled out and cleaned?

Or is there a chance sea water has somehow got into the oil and it's seizing up inside? It was recently ridden through a flood, don't know exactly how deep but definitely higher than the crankcase.

DaveLister
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1998 xv535
Sex: Male

Re: Gear shifter sticking

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 pm

I would start out with a full clutch adjustment ---> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46216 <--- if for no other reason than to rule that out as a possibility.

then a good hosing out of the 'joints' with WD-40 [or such light-lubricant spray] those joints do get road-grit in them and can get 'balky' [like-wise the side-stand "safety" switch]
New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: choppin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:27 pm

I agree with Mark. But I would clean all the moving parts first then the adjustment if necessary.
choppin
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 920J VIRAGO
2004 harley 883
1987 150 Elite Honda (sold)
1983 920K virago
1986 XV700ss (sold)
1982 GL Honda Goldwing (sold)
1982 920 virago (parts bike)
1987 XV1100 (sold)
1984 XV700 (building trike)

PostAuthor: DaveLister » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:17 pm

Went out to it earlier today now after being sitting since Monday it won't shift at all. Have removed the shift pedal and the joints are free. Sprayed tons of wd40 onto the shifter thing before I removed it from the end of the shaft and gave it some gentle taps with a hammer and block of wood. It's completely solid, won't budge at all.

I tried taking the side cover off but as usual there is always one bolt that doesn't want to move lol. Was so tight the head snapped off, and as I have no drill I had to push it to a garage. Picking it up soon.

Drained the oil out, there was plenty in so it wasn't that.

Does it sound like it's just the shaft sticking, or is it likely to be something inside that requires the engine removing and stripping down?

Hope it's an easy fix, I'm on my arse and it's my only transport.

DaveLister
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:03 am

When you get it back and start looking again. Take a look at your torsion and tension springs on the shift shaft, under the side cover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: DaveLister » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:12 pm

I tried taking the side cover off, but it was stuck on pretty tight and snapped the tab thing at the prying point lol.

Managed to sort it though! I got the shift lever freed off by hitting it with a hammer and spraying lots of wd40 on it. Took about 20 minutes to get it moving again, but took it for a test ride and it's shifting perfectly and still hasn't locked up.

Just need to fit a new swing arm, wheel bearings and repair the cracked rear mudguard and she should pass MOT no problems!

DaveLister
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:34 am

:GJ:

Yep..armed with a hammer, bailing wire & duct tape..you can fix bout anything. :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Tech"