Click Here

Carburetor Tweaking - 1993 750

Technical Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Carburetor Tweaking - 1993 750

PostAuthor: peterguzzi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi Folks -
Wrapping my Virago Cafe Build and loving it!!
1982 frame with 1993 750 engine.
Here is the final issue:
- KN air filter in lieu of stock box (still draws through frame)
- aftermarket (2) into (1) exhaust, 18" Cone Engineering perforated Core Muffler.
I have replaced the stock main jet (122.5) with a 125 and.. tested... and then raised the Main Needle 0.033" with a nylon washer (After raising the needle it ran significantly better).
Under load It pulls strong all the way up to the to 90% throttle but on the last 10% (under full throttle) it sputters/complains.
So - is this simply to be expected / acceptable or is there a way to massage this out... raise needle, larger main jet?

Any insight would be great.. Cheers and thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

peterguzzi
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Carburetor Tweaking - 1993 750

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 am

My first thought would be, just go the the needle. As you said, it pulls great all the way "up" to the final 10%. If you were to go with bigger jets, you'd be disrupting what you already have, at the lower/mid-range. You just need that final bit of (correct mixture) at the top end. Make sense? Don't mean to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, but you have two carbs, and possibly just one, balk'n at the top end too. You know the routine. One will always question jets vs. needles...until you have gone to the upper extreme, then backing down till all is happy.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Tech"