Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

I think it’s time

• Advertisement

Post a reply

I think it’s time

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:30 pm

I’ve owned my 750 since 2006, she’s been good to me, however since I’ve retired, I actually have less time to ride.

Two years ago, I told my wife I was going to sell it, she talked me into keeping it. From July 2017 until July 2018, I put about 500 miles on it.

From July 2018 until July 2019, it was a few miles over 100.

When you factor gas, oil, registration and insurance it cost me about $3 USD per mile, to operate all of last year.

It’s better that I take off some of my goodies then sell her, then sell my Mustang saddle and forward controls. May even remove my exhaust and sell it after putting stock back on.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750
Sex: Male

Re: I think it’s time

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:39 pm

I had the same problem. Took all the goodies off and then sold here with the stock exhaust and seat. The bike went to Arizona and the new owner took the Jardine exhaust at extra cost. I am still trying to sell my Mustang seat. What are you going to replace it with?
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:29 pm

bstig60 wrote:What are you going to replace it with?

Power tools.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 pm

bstig60 wrote: --- What are you going to replace it with?

love, and other indoor sports :naughty:
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:27 pm

mark75 wrote:love, and other indoor sports :naughty:

Love, I get, especially from the dogs. Indoor sports ? ? Takes a least two willing players :ssorry:

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:20 am

Not sure yet. I just missed a low mileage '96 1100 for $200 bucks which was blowing the main fuse. I could have easily repaired that problem. If I can find another late model Virago that I can get cheap, I will probably get another one. Meanwhile, I have a '03 Honda Goldwing GL1800 and an "07 Honda ST1300.
Just had Cataract Surgery, so I can't ride anything for a few weeks, but I can sure see better.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: totallyredvirago » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:20 pm

jake.. sold the bride for a HD.. worst mistake i made. i still have red. do not ride her much. (too much car to bike killings and the cars are winning). going to keep red til the day i die. she has yet let me down. more or less. if you have a place to store her keep her. if not i get it..........dan
82 xv 750 skull on grips,levers,3rd brake and side covers.soft bags and tool bag, relay for coils, fresh inferno red, paint code PEL(red)

no time to do it right..always enough time to do it twice.
it is if is isnt :con:
If it went together easy... you forgot something.
when in doubt.... ground it out!

http://www.viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=35947 (bare bones wiring81-83 xv750)
http://www.viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=48895 (91 up xv750 bare bones)
http://www.viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=36987(84-85 xv700,1000 bare bones)

totallyredvirago
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 82 xv750 red
95 sportster 1200

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:02 am

totallyredvirago wrote:going to keep red til the day i die. she has yet let me down. more or less.

True That!.. :bg: Dan...nice seeing you still round these parts. :cl:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:09 am

totallyredvirago wrote:jake.. sold the bride for an HD.. worst mistake I made. I still have red. do not ride her much. (too much car to bike killings and the cars are winning). going to keep red til the day I die. she has yet let me down. more or less. if you have a place to store her keep her. if not I get it..........dan

Glad to see you are back, Dan.
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: totallyredvirago » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:37 am

thanks guys.. good to be back..............dan
82 xv 750 skull on grips,levers,3rd brake and side covers.soft bags and tool bag, relay for coils, fresh inferno red, paint code PEL(red)

no time to do it right..always enough time to do it twice.
it is if is isnt :con:
If it went together easy... you forgot something.
when in doubt.... ground it out!

http://www.viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=35947 (bare bones wiring81-83 xv750)
http://www.viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=48895 (91 up xv750 bare bones)
http://www.viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=36987(84-85 xv700,1000 bare bones)

totallyredvirago
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 82 xv750 red
95 sportster 1200

PostAuthor: eddy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:15 pm

Hoyhoy.

Ya might miss her Jake.
I know I would.

Hooroo.
1998 Virago 1100

eddy
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1998 xv1100 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:42 pm

eddy wrote:Hoyhoy.

Ya might miss her Jake.
I know I would.

Hooroo.

Well eddy, there is a lot of things in life that I miss, it’s just one more on the list. Most of my wrenching days are behind me, I have a problem with my right rotator cuff. I am half blind in my right eye, that is compounded by limited movement of my head, due to a C 3 and 4 disc removal, and C1 and 2 were fused at birth.

One dog that is 15 has bowel and stomach issues. If he ain’t pooping, he’s puking, so I can’t leave the house for more than a couple of hours or I have to cleanup a mess.

I won’t take my wife with me anymore, the last time I did was about eight years ago, when some jerk took a short cut across a parking lot and only missed us by about a foot. My life is one thing, I swore to her parents, I’d keep her safe ( they are still living, her dad is 97 ).

To top off all of that, I suspect my wife is in the early stages of Alzheimer. I see the signs every day.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Spindlehead » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:37 pm

[quote="totallyredvirago"...(to much car to bike killings and the cars are winning).........dan[/quote]

I feel you sir. I uploaded my old '82 920 and loads of parts from various incarnations (and dead ends) then bought a nifty new FZ-07. Even after investing in and inventing some comfort mods, I only log a few hundred miles per year. Still, a garage without a motorcycle is unthinkable, but maybe I should have just stuck with that old XV.
Spindlehead
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920

PostAuthor: eddy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:17 am

Jake wrote:
eddy wrote:Hoyhoy.

Ya might miss her Jake.
I know I would.

Hooroo.

Well eddy, there is a lot of things in life that I miss, it’s just one more on the list. Most of my wrenching days are behind me, I have a problem with my right rotator cuff. I am half blind in my right eye, that is compounded by limited movement of my head, due to a C 3 and 4 disc removal, and C1 and 2 were fused at birth.

One dog that is 15 has bowel and stomach issues. If he ain’t pooping, he’s puking, so I can’t leave the house for more than a couple of hours or I have to cleanup a mess.

I won’t take my wife with me anymore, the last time I did was about eight years ago, when some jerk took a short cut across a parking lot and only missed us by about a foot. My life is one thing, I swore to her parents, I’d keep her safe ( they are still living, her dad is 97 ).

To top off all of that, I suspect my wife is in the early stages of Alzheimer. I see the signs every day.

Hoyhoy.

That's a big list Jake, I can now see as to what ya up against, I don't blame ya, getting older doesn't help hey, me know about that one. My neighbour told me years ago that it is the cruelest thing in life. I believe him now.

Hooroo.
1998 Virago 1100

eddy
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1998 xv1100 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Uncategorized