VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Parts Diagrams, Service Manuals

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Topic locked

Parts Diagrams, Service Manuals

PostAuthor: bykrmom » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:37 am

Many of the links to manuals in this thread no longer work. Read through if you like and find the ones that do or not, the choice is yours.
Jake, Moderator VTF

Hi everyone,

We get a lot of questions here that are easily answered if you have access to either the parts diagrams for your size/year Virago, or if you have access to a factory service manual.

I know that some (a lot!) of us don't want to or can't afford to spend money on expensive printed manuals, and most if not all of us have ended up with the cheap, incomplete, confusing Clymer or Chilton's manuals on our bikes.

There is a CD availabe for only 10 dollars (US) that has ALL the info you need, on one little CD. It's available from Bill Wheeler at http://www.bwenterprises.net/ He even picks up the postage to mail it out to you. It is all Yamaha information, and can't be beat for accuracy.

Visit his site. He has parts for the Viragos too from time to time. At the moment I believe he has some parts for an 81 or 82 XV750 available.

Write to Bill and get a CD if you're serious about maintaining your Virago. You won't be sorry you did.

Later,
Angie (bykrmom)
Last edited by bykrmom on Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bykrmom
Special Membership
Special Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 XV700 Virago (basket case since May '03)
1985 GL700 Suzuki Intruder
Sex: Female

PostAuthor: turtlspd » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:07 am

I too bought this little gem on Angie's advice several months ago and it is definately worth the money several times over.
Everything on the cd is organized and indexed in such a way that findeing the info you need is quick and easy, much more convenient than a printed manual. You may still want to get a printed manual or two, but this cd will help to fill in some of the missing info that other publications may not have.

Thanks Angie...
Mike
'91 XV1100
'04 fxdi

KruzN @ turtlspd
Fly low, Evade radar
turtlspd
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: '91 Virago 1100.
'04 fxdi 1450(88cid)
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: bykrmom » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:48 pm

turtlspd,

Heh :con: I didn't think anyone was listening LOL

You're welcome!

I wrote to Manfred (the German guy with the TR1 site) and asked him if he'd be interested in putting his on-line info on a CD for sale as well. That would certainly be worth as much to us as the one Bill sells...as a companion. Manfred has more "down and dirty" maintenance info (like the torque specs on the engine side cover screws that Atomic pointed us to).

What I like best on Bill's parts/service CD is that you can print a page you need, take it out and get it all greasy while working on the bike and it doesn't matter...just toss it in the trash and you haven't lost anything. Need the same page again, just print it again and you're good to go. (you may need a whole reem of paper like me, but it's a good option! LOL)

(It's also a good idea to make yourself a copy of the CD when you get it, if you have a burner, and use the copy. Leave the original CD as an archival copy.)
bykrmom
Special Membership
Special Membership

Parts catalog - for free

PostAuthor: lassesand » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:12 am

Pretty much the same info (?) for free;
http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/

Sorry if I mess up someones business...
Lasse S
lassesand
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1981 TR1., 1982 TR1., 1982 TR1. 1982 XZ550, 1984 XVZ1200, 1987 TT600, 1984 VF1000F

PostAuthor: bykrmom » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:37 am

You aren't going to mess up Bill's business at all. You're right, that's the same parts breakdown available there. However, Bill ads service manuals that Yamaha doesn't have and can't even make available. He asl has it all indexed on a CD so you can open multipe files at once and see what parts from what models will cross-over when the original isn't what you need, or they don't make it anymore. He also adds little extras, like the part numer code for Yamahas, and buying guides and other things.

Yeah, Yamah's site has some info, but basically just enough to throw us a bone after they abandoned us and the Virago line.
:con:
bykrmom®

My current rides include:
1985 XV700 (Basket case since May 2003)
1985 Suzuki Intruder 700 Daily Rider
bykrmom
Special Membership
Special Membership

CD - useful

PostAuthor: lassesand » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:28 am

OK, that seems like a pretty useful CD! What kind of service manuals does it contain? Is it the original Yamaha manuals? I have the supplement to the XV750 manual that contains the special info regarding the TR1. I'm looking for the XV750 manual and so far I've only found it (in digital form)at Manfreds TR1.-site; http://www.tr1.de/tr1/tr1_info.htm
Lasse S
lassesand
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1981 TR1., 1982 TR1., 1982 TR1. 1982 XZ550, 1984 XVZ1200, 1987 TT600, 1984 VF1000F

Re: Bill Wheeler

PostAuthor: Billy C » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:52 pm

I sent an email several weeks ago asking for this CD and just tonight got a response from Bill's son, Bill Jr, informing me that his Dad had died in December of a heart attack. Sounds like he is going to let the business go. He did however have a few copies of the CD left and I am getting one of them I hope. Just thought this was worth mentioning.
'96 Virago 750 - Wifes
'83 V65 Magna - Mine
'85 Maxim X (RIP)
Canton, TX

Billy C
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Matthew » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:18 am

Wow, that is just awful.
Look like he had a nice open house party not long ago.
I really hate this stuff.
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: bykrmom » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:51 am

Oh My God!

He just moved into a new shop and everything!

Well...that just ruined my whole damn year :( Bill was a good friend. I better write to the family...

:baw:
bykrmom®

bykrmom
Special Membership
Special Membership

PostAuthor: Matthew » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:00 am

Just thinking of the CDs.

overstock.com just started an auction site.
I wouldn't rush to join or sell on it but I did notice someone was selling CD's similar to this on there for $10 too.
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: bykrmom » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:52 pm

I was just thinking - these CDs are too great a resource to loose access to. If Bill's family is truly not going to keep the business, I think I may just make them available here.

I have the XS750/850 CD and the XV Virago CD Bill was producing.

Would it be wrong if I figured out my exact cost for a blank CD and a jewel case and then charged just that plus shipping? I would leave it ecactly as Bill made it, complete with his thankyou note and copyright notice.

What do you think? :con:

Maybe call it the Bill Wheeler Memorial Virago CD or something?

I don't want to make money, but these should remain available to us die-hards that want and love to keep our Viragos running.
bykrmom®

bykrmom
Special Membership
Special Membership

PostAuthor: Matthew » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:34 pm

Yep, gotta keep it around atleast.

Its sad if they close the shop. I know how people feel. They wanna move on with life but there would b e no better way to honor him then to keep things going in his name. Wish they were closer...

I actually visited his website and all the parts and project just line the walls everywhere in the open house pics. Lots of artwork too. Would be a shame to see it all end up in the wrong hands.
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: makeityours » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:04 am

I would definatly check with his family and get documented proof of their approval before making copies.You could get in a lot of legal trouble otherwise.All it takes is one black sheep of the family to want a cut without having to do anything.
What used to be 81 xv750(only thing stock is mtr&frm)Did all work myself,welding,paint,&airbrush

2-86 xv1100`s

e-bay 82 xv750
& yet another `81 XV750
2 more XV 750`s

1967 Triumph Bonneville chopper

85 XV 1000
82 Maxim 650
82 XV920
makeityours
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: Matthew » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:54 am

makeityours wrote:I would definatly check with his family and get documented proof of their approval before making copies.You could get in a lot of legal trouble otherwise.All it takes is one black sheep of the family to want a cut without having to do anything.

Honestly, I'm not gonna tell be his original CD was illegal in the first part. Same reason I can't put the whole service manual on my website. The original copywrite owners who made the first product. Would have to give permission and be paid off.

No one really enforces it on Ebay but every now and then I hear about it.
One guy sold GM service manuals on CD. As you can imagine, GM had no clue. Another had the V6 performance handbook on CD. Same deal.

Only lasted until someone told on him.

Taking the time to gather up the recourses and putting them all on 1 CD deserves payment of some sort for the work done but you are suppose to pay off those you got the original info from too.

I get around being sued by making VT a non profit educational website and I don't post up the full service manual. Just the tech info. Which sorta skims under fair use. But publishing the whole original work without permission or paying them off, Would get VT shut down by big city lawyers.
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: bykrmom » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:29 pm

The reasons of copyright liability and infringement on the families rights are why I said I'd make them available at cost. No profit, no cut for anyone to want to divvy up ;)

I will get the Widow Wheeler's permission first however, before I do anything. If I give them away it violates nothing...but I already know USPS shipping of CDs in a jewel case is about a buck with a padded envelope. I just can't afford to "donate" anyhting to the cause at the moment.
bykrmom®

bykrmom
Special Membership
Special Membership

PostAuthor: Matthew » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:37 pm

Though I sorta look at stuff like this as a library. They have every book under then sun and will gladly let you copy as many pages as you want for 10-20 cents a copy. Some will even do it for you, for a fee.

Long as its helping someone and your just covering cost. Its cool.
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: turtlspd » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:23 pm

Billy C wrote:I sent an email several weeks ago asking for this CD and just tonight got a response from Bill's son, Bill Jr, informing me that his Dad had died in December of a heart attack. Sounds like he is going to let the business go. He did however have a few copies of the CD left and I am getting one of them I hope. Just thought this was worth mentioning.

Damn......how did I miss this one? I have been busy lately and just trying to catch up on postings, but this one slipped right past me.
Bill was providing a very useful service. Major bummer...

I have a copy of the BW info CD-rom I can copy off if necessary.
Mike
'91 XV1100
'04 fxdi

KruzN @ turtlspd
Fly low, Evade radar
turtlspd
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: '91 Virago 1100.
'04 fxdi 1450(88cid)

PostAuthor: tagedieb » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:49 pm

I have no problem hosting the cd on my website. It's not a commercial site, just a small page of funny stuff (with 2GB of storage). I'll put the CD there, and you can give VT members the link to download it. I think if VT keeps it on the lowdown there's nothing to worry about.

tagedieb
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Billy C » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:24 am

turtlspd wrote:I have a copy of the BW info CD-rom I can copy off if necessary.

Hey Turtlspd, any chance I could buy a copy of that off you?

I seem to be just dumping bad news here left and right. I have put off posting this til now hoping for resolution but it appears that it is not going to happen. I Paypal'ed Bill Jr $12.00 for a copy of the CD back on March 10th. I emailed him back on the 18th asking about the status. He said his Mom must have not sent it and he would handle it personally. Emailed him again on the 28th asking for a status. No response 4 days later. I understand there was a family tragedy and it's only $12.00 but just be aware if you decide to send money that way for whatever reason. Seems to me if someone can go to the trouble of taking money they could go to the trouble of dropping a CD-ROM in the mail. :con: If he comes thru I will post it.
'96 Virago 750 - Wifes
'83 V65 Magna - Mine
'85 Maxim X (RIP)
Canton, TX

Billy C
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Billy C » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:33 pm

Somebody pass the salt please for my steaming hot plate of crow. I got the CD in today's mail. Apologies to Bill Jr. A bit slow but he came through.
'96 Virago 750 - Wifes
'83 V65 Magna - Mine
'85 Maxim X (RIP)
Canton, TX

Billy C
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Next

Topic locked

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Gen"