VTF Google Search
 Click Here

virago 1100 1993 won't start after start clutch swap

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

virago 1100 1993 won't start after start clutch swap

PostAuthor: owly » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:19 pm

I replaced the starter clutch and the starter gear but still get a whizz and crunch.
It hill starts and starts 25% of the time when hot.
This is what it sounds like when starting hot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gx8nHa ... sp=sharing

owly
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: Virago 1100 1993
Sex: Male

Re: virago 1100 1993 won't start after start clutch swap

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:26 pm

:VTF:

Could be number of things. Kinda sounds like iffy voltage. Possibly battery is bad. Can show volts, but amps is the "umph" for things to work. I'd check out the battery to begin with....Then I would get in there and do a positive voltage drop test. To see if you're actually getting "all" the voltage/amps these starter hogs need. Put a volt meter across the battery, see what the standing volts are. Should be atleast 12.6v. Leave the meter attached, hit starter button. Record the voltage. Usually lower than 9.5v isn't very good, but can get ya by. Long as the cells aren't shorted and the voltage rises on it's own. Do the same test on the starter, itself. Black to frame and red to starter lug. Careful the lead don't short to starter body, when ya hit the button. Hit the start button. Record number and compare to first. If lot lower, start checking for clean/shiny connections. If not much more than 1 volt difference, then you have to start checking other stuff. I'm sure others will jump in here and give ya other places to look.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:37 pm

Howdy!

Welcome to VTF.

ditto - the usual 1st XV 'suspect' is the battery, or connections
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: owly » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:48 am

So I received a new battery and put it in.
It still doesn't start regularly. There are still two distinct sounds. One as though the starter clutch is slipping or a gear isn't catching. The other sounds like it catches but is underpowered even though the battery is full.

Here's the recording:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nhXplu ... sp=sharing

During start the voltage at the battery drops as expected. I saw the voltage at the starter peak around 11volts. Should I see 12 volts?
Low voltage would make sense for the second sound but not the first.

owly
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Personally, I'd say one of those sounds is the starter motor is on it's way out. Sounds like the orbital gears are causing the ring gear to slip. Specially when the gears finally catch, but the torque is shot back to the starter motor and slips. If you ever get around to this, you may wanna crack open that starter and check for skid marks on the housing and/or the ring gears. And...see if that "T" lock is still in place. That's why the gears are usually welded, washer'd, set screwed in place, or the whole damn thing is buried 6' deep. You said you replace the starter gear. Was that the gear with the grooves (which is the starter wheel) and was it the new updated version (without spring)? Or are you talk'n bout the smaller idler gear #1 (with the groove)? Bottom line: I was wondering about the correct number of teeth and meshing ok. I don't think they'd change the number of teeth on the clutch, but who knows. And, I assume you got the two step washer/collar behind the #1 idle gear. Hey...it's a shot in the dark... :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:26 pm

sounds like the noises my 700 made when it threw the sprag starter clutch (#1) >>> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... ter-clutch

I think after market ones can be found for around $100 or less (Ricks, J&P, ?) something like this >>> https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1986-1999-Yamah ... sD&vxp=mtr

bonne chance

so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:37 am

mark75 wrote:sounds like the noises my 700 made when it threw the sprag starter clutch

Was my first thought. Was going to ask if this replacement was new (OEM or aftermarket):

But, thought that would have been ok, since:
owly wrote:I replaced the starter clutch and the starter gear but still get a whizz and crunch.

Did you turn the (new?) clutch by hand before installing, to see if it was working? Possibly it was iffy in the first place. Coarse, I suppose it could "not" be doing it's job, under the torque of the starter motor. As in: aftermarket part maybe very weak? Head scratcher.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: owly » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:11 pm

It could be a bad starter clutch. I did try it by hand before and behaved as it should. This is what I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274061562496
I also tried spinning by hand the one that was in there and it only spun one way. But I wouldn't expect the failure to be so similar, which is why I'm thinking it's probably something else.

So it's either:
- starter itself (haven't touched)
- starter clutch (replaced)
- starter gear (replaced)

Anything else it could be?

owly
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:12 pm

just out of curiosity -- does it push start ok?

... Mark Twain

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: owly » Sat May 02, 2020 2:01 pm

mark75 wrote:just out of curiosity -- does it push start ok?

Yeah. Well, hill start. Wouldn't be able to push start it.

owly
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat May 02, 2020 3:02 pm

~mid-way (40s?) through your audio, it sounds like it doesn't have the umph to engage - like it's trying --- rat-a-tat-tat --- but no fun.

with it being only "sweat equity" (no co$t), take your starter apart, clean it up, & 're-lube' bearings with fresh grease (+new brushes would be good - if you have them)
when you have it back together, if still no-fun, try a "hot-shot" to the solenoid [meaning a jumper cable from battery (+) to solenoid post] - maybe it's going south?

also double check the heavy-gage cables (starter & battery) as they can corrode (sorta rot in-two) inside the insulation where not easily seen.

that's 'bout all I can suggest :con:

... Mark Twain

mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Gen"