VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Air filter fail

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Air filter fail

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:35 pm

This on my '86 750 chopper project. Both side pods eliminated, and all three "nozzles" removed from the air box and holes filled. That leaves me with a couple issues: air filters (I'm sticking with the dual Hitachis for now...) and carb diaphragm breathers. Solved the diaphragm breathers by fabricating a small air box that fits under the tank and just forward of the seat. It's unfiltered, but should provide "calm air" and the filters in the OEM hoses will suffice .
IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3816.JPG

Thought I had the air filter/breathers aced as well. Got to thinking that a couple respirator filter cartridges might work; and low and behold, I found a couple that fit exactly into the rubber elbows that normally join the carb intakes to the air box.
IMG_3824.JPG

Not my favorite color, but you can suck and blow through these things with no resistance, figured they'd be great filters for the carbs. BUT both carbs flooded out within seconds, fouled the plugs and killed the bike. So, I cut the backs out of them to provide the full 2 1/4" diameter flow through the boots.

IMG_3825.JPG

Same results; flooded out almost as quickly as before. In disbelief, I damn near pulled the carbs again to see if the start/choke system wasn't causing a problem. But I slept on it and next day took the filters off and started the bike with fresh plugs. She runs well, no rich/flooding problems.

So this is just to say, at least from my experience with this $10.00 failed experiment, respirator cartridges don't allow enough flow to be used as filters for the carbs. Thought I'd share that; I guess I'm looking for a pair of shorty velocity stacks for this project.

By the way, I also discovered when having the fouling problem with wet plugs, that brake cleaner and compressed air works really well with cleaning them up for re-use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

Re: Air filter fail

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:45 am

Probably not enough surface area on those filters. Others have used Cone filters or adapt a harley filter. Just have to find the right size. Check in the Chopper forum on this site.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/par ... r-elements
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200
Sex: Male

Re: Air filter fail

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Yeah, Bill, I've seen those filters in a few posts here. Actually thinking of going that route on my '97 (signiature pic). But for this project, I'm looking for something a little "cleaner", not sticking out the sides so much. Hoping I can find something to fit directly on the intake horn of the carbs, or otherwise into the airbox ends of the rubber elbows. There's a little room under the frame/airbox once the original "nozzles" have been removed and filled. I've found these at Dime City, but they're only 58mm I.D. and the horns on the Hitachis are 60mm. I asked Dime City and they say they think there might be enough material on the mounting collar that I could machine them to fit.
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage- ... -shrt.html.
Otherwise, they have some that have 62 mm I.D. that look like I could shorten to fit - not as nice as the "shorty" stacks, but functional. Both have fine screen filters that should keep the big bugs out.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Gen"