VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Just to comment on how stupid I was

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Just to comment on how stupid I was

PostAuthor: Arjay » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:11 am

:;: Just to comment on how stupid I was, I was mystified as how my motor knew when to cut off when I parked. I was bordering on declaring my bike to have psychic powers. My old bike did not have such a new fangled gizmo side stand switch. I was thinking some kind of parking detector in the cpu. Trying to envision a mercury bubble position to detect a parking slant... I was totally mystified till a friend told me. Then it made sense when the sometimes I would konk out as soon as I put it in gear. In my defense I began driving back when bench seats preceded seat belt laws. I still dont fully understand why my turn signals sometimes shut off after a turn.
Last edited by Jake on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from 1st Gen topic. Answers were unrelated to original topic.

Arjay
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 Virago 1100
Sex: Male

Re: Several issues 81 XV750

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:23 am

Arjay wrote: I still dont fully understand why my turn signals sometimes shut off after a turn.

Earlier models had a separate self-cancelling unit tied in with speedo sensor. Later models self cancelling tied in with the diode or 9-pin relay..not sure which.

Virago self cancelling unit.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Re: Several issues 81 XV750

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:14 am

Flyingdog wrote:
Arjay wrote: I still dont fully understand why my turn signals sometimes shut off after a turn.

Earlier models had a separate self-cancelling unit tied in with speedo sensor. Later models self cancelling tied in with the diode or 9-pin relay..not sure which.

Virago self cancelling unit.PNG

The second gen turn signals, of which you own ( Arjay ), is controlled by the flasher relay assembly. The flasher relay will turn the signals off after approximately 10 seconds or approximately 490 feet, which ever is greater depending on circumstances.

At low speed, it is a cancelled by distance, at high speed, both time and distance control the shut off.

The distance traveled is a function determined by the reed switch in the speedometer. If the signals fail to turn off automatically, the reed switch needs cleaned and possibly replaced.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

Re: Just to comment on how stupid I was

PostAuthor: Arjay » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:46 pm

Thank, great info...!

Arjay
Senior Membership
Senior Membership