Click Here

Advice for an absolute beginner

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Advice for an absolute beginner

PostAuthor: Jagiar » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:02 am

Hi Virago fans.

I'm wondering if someone would be kind enough to offer some sound advice to an absolute beginner.

I'm looking to build a cafe racer and I'm leaning towards using the Virago as the base. Two of the things I was set on was a monoshock frame and a rear tire at least 150 (but preferably 160) wide. I realize 1st gen Viragos don't accommodate that size on the stock swingarm/drive shaft without problems. I was hoping to go at least 535cc but preferably 750cc and will even consider 1000cc if a 750 is not available. Is there anything one can do to get a 150/160 on a monoshock frame without messing with the frame or couplings?

Also, are parts relatively available and/or expensive? I'm currently located in Europe.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Jagiar
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 vx750
Sex: Male

Re: Advice for an absolute beginner

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:38 pm

The early 750's & 920's (81-83 were a mono shock frame. Everything 84 and newer were twin rear shocks. The stock rear tire was a 140 on all of these models, but a 150 will fit without rubbing. The 535 never came along until 87 and it was not a mono shock frame.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:46 pm

Howdy Jason!

Welcome to VTF.

I'm unsure about parts availability in EU, but in USA parts are 'fairly' readily available.
On Gen-I, mostly used -
with Gen-II, many are available OEM.
fortunately many Gen-I parts interchange with Gen-II (have the same part #)
the "after-market" supply of parts was never very extensive for Virago, so you have to DIY or 'pay the toll' for what is available off-the-shelf.

OEM parts prices :con: some seem high and some seem reasonable.
I've used these folks for years and always received good service & competitive prices. >>> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/c/yam ... ycle/parts
search the web, bike salvage yards, and ebay.

the Gen-I 1000cc chain-drive mono (TR1) was preferred (back-in-the-day) by many to build as their racer. they were much sought after, so consequently they are scarce now.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: beltdrive » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:29 pm

Welcome to Jason

Please always state your country, as some locals can help you with local stuff if needed.

You came to the right place, there is a lot of good people in here, that will go far to help with anything, I trust and enjoy this place a lot.

You are located in Europa, now I do not hope this is Denmark, if it is, be aware that in Denmark, even though our politician have promised same rules in all of EU for 45 years, you are still not allowed to change anything( almost) on a motor vehicle, as well as you cannot get even a registered vehicle from any EU country registered in Denmark, if previous owner has altered anything on it.

Danish DOT are completely outside political control, we even had a well-known European city train delayed for month, due to very special “only in Denmark” rules, on opening day everything was cancels, as the train was not allowed to run and everybody had to go home without music, cake or wine.

I would go with 1 Gen 750 - 920 as they have a section-built frame and mono shock and will fit a 1000 and an 1100 if you later want that.

If you want W i d e rear wheel you have to go chain drive engine and they come in an 920 and in Europa a 981cc , yes you can widen your swingarm or get a wider swingarm from another bike, on top of this swingarm you have to build a " tower" so it looks and matches the mono shock you have, or you have to change the suspension as well and maybe adapt the suspension of the bike the swingarm came from.

I would use one of 2 possibilities depending on the swingarm and the wheel hub / wheel you are using.

1 a new drive axel through the swingarm pivot center to a sprocket on the other side of the bike.

2 have a stub axel on same side, so I have 2 sprockets together on their own bearings on the end of the swingarm bolt, if you can follow, so the engine drives the inside sprocket and the outside sprocket or belt, drives the rear wheel, with any of these 2 ways you have no limit in the width of the tire, just make sure to place it dead center, or your bike is not going to handle right, and trust me, without that you really have nothing but looks.
1981 XV 1000 Beltdrive Special - Happy wrench time, thanks everybody, I enjoy this community, hi from Erik
beltdrive
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Location: Denmark NE - former Canadian-Calgary - MARADAtech - Hotel Brinkly - gterik@gmail.com Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 XV 1000 Beltdrive Special, 1982 Yamaha XV920J 10L Virago (first Year)

PostAuthor: Arjay » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:48 pm

on your bobber build, are you doing your electrical with m-unit...?

Arjay
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 Virago 1100

PostAuthor: Jagiar » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:15 am

Arjay wrote:on your bobber build, are you doing your electrical with m-unit...?

I think you may be respondung to the wrong post, Arjay.

Jagiar
Brand New
Brand New

Flag

PostAuthor: Jagiar » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Many thanks to those who replied. It's much appreciated.

I'm located in Malta (south of Sicily), so shipping may be as issue.

Jagiar
Brand New
Brand New

Flag

PostAuthor: Jake » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:35 pm

Jagiar wrote:I'm located in Malta (south of Sicily), so shipping may be as issue.

:VTF:

Please add your location to your profile so no one has to ask in the future. With members all over the globe, some info is geographically specific.

Add your location at this link -----> ucp.php?i=264

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Gen"