Click Here

Yamaha XV400 Special -83

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Yamaha XV400 Special -83

PostAuthor: dondan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:38 pm

Hello!

My Yamaha XV400 Special -83 has a 11 liter tank, after 120 km (~74 miles) it's empty (reserve tanks included) i know my bike drinks alot, but i would like to know if this is too much - should i be concerned or is it normal?

Regards
Dan

dondan
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: Yamha XV400 - 83
Sex: Male

Re: Yamaha XV400 Special -83

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:52 pm

Oh-Boy, as you know mpg is sooo subjective. So many factors involved: riding conditions, weight of rider/gear, tire pressure, wind, traffic, hills(?), jackrabbit starts, getting on it (even though you don't think you did :bg: ), steady highway riding, outdoor temp, type of fuel, clutch... "And" above all..."state of carb tune". Since you're only getting around 25.5 mpg. "" Seems kinda low "". But then again, I really don't have any idea bout the 400, but a highly tuned 535 can push 35-40mpg. My 1000 gets 35-40mpg, the wifes' 750 bout 30-35. Now, granted, I don't pay that much attention to it (mpg) and haven't for a long time. Just know how many miles I can go under different conditions.
Just might benefit with a minor tune-up. Like plugs (check the ohms of those spark plug caps/wires), fresh oil in the crank, valve adjustment, checking battery condition, connections at the battery & coils (primary & secondary wires).. clean/ shiny & tight, condition of clutch pack and adjustment...just to name a few. Those carbs might not be delivering as they should, too. All these things gotta work in unison, to be able to deliver all the air/fuel/electrons that an engine needs... Bottom line..seems like something is cause the excessive fuel consumption. Are you the original owner? I say this cause you say "My bike drinks alotta fuel". Possibly someone fouled up something inside carbs trying to clean them. Just a thought. Every little bit helps.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Gen"