VTF Google Search
 Click Here

A special place in the engine!

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

A special place in the engine!

PostAuthor: Shootist » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:52 am

Messing with my new to me 1993 vintage XV535 I decided, among other things, to check the air filter. This involved lifting to top tank, a fairly simple task you might think. OK, the bike is on the side stand and I have removed the left side and read screws that hold the tank so only the right hand screw to go. Here I discovered a special place in the Virago engine, a place so demonic that only the cunning oriental mind could have constructed it while making it look so normal.

OK, right hand bolt is withdrawn at which I find there is a big rubber washer between the tank and the frame which as soon as you move the tank slides straight town and into a slot between the front cylinder head and the plate that holds the engine in place. A slot that could have been exactly designed to take that exact washer at that angle. Bugger!!!! At first I thought it must have made it to the floor and, being rubber, had rolled silently away to some dark corner of the garage. However, one 'last look' saw it hiding somewhere on the top of the front cylinder, just visible through a gap only big enough to take a hacksaw blade as a prodder. Totally impossible to remove without pulling the bike to bits and dropping the engine. A whole hour I spent trying to retrieve it and all I succeeded in doing was encouraging it to move into some final invisible refuge.

Anyone got a spare one?

Shootist
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1993 XV535 Virago
2004 Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog
Sex: Male

Re: A special place in the engine!

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Why don't you try a piece of stiff wire with a small hook on the end. You should be able to get it out.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 pm

Wow, that's a good one...other than what Bill suggested. You got any dental type picks and an air compressor? Even if the air would get it close enough to "stab" it. Who cares if it ends up with a hole or gnarled somewhat. I like an assortment of these extensions. 5" - 20". Even bend some myself. Great for knocking down bees/spiders/(small children?) in the garage. :bg: :cl:
blow gun extentions.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:37 pm

A vacuum cleaner with a small hose duct taped to the vacuum cleaner hose .

Make it plenty long enough to reach the part and see if you can get it on a flat. Then gingerly try to extract it.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Shootist » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:05 pm

All been done. Except the vacuum cleaner but there is absolutely no space to get anything like it anywhere near. It's staying there!

Shootist
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1993 XV535 Virago
2004 Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Well then, I guess it’s off to a hardware store. Most of the I have visited have some sort of rubber washer.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Gen"