VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Clutch Retainer/Balls (SOLVED)

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Clutch Retainer/Balls (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: buster711 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi Folks, as I was putting xv1100 back together after starter clutch replacement I realized I must have moved the clutch push rod set up when remounting the side cover..
Problem now is that when trying to attach cable the inside lower lever does not reach up far enough to mount the cable to it - unless IO pry it up and THAT I just know in a no no....So from that post titled "stating Issue" that is no longer a problem it was suggested that the "PLATE" holding the "3 balls" must have shifted while reinstalling the side cover...
So I started THIS topic in hopes of finding some insight into getting to the plate/balls and resetting them correctly so that I can finish this reassemble and have this thing on the road again...
I am hoping against hope that I don't have to take out the major parts of the clutch to get to it...
Weird thing is I have CD manual but do not see it in there and even weirder is that I replaced the clutch plates but it was some time ago and though I recall seeing that thing with the 3 balls I don't recall how to get to it...
So if someone could please share some knowledge as to this situation I would be so VERY THANKFUL..
with most sincerity, Buster
1998 xv 1100 27k
no emission crap
2001 intruder 1400
2000 Vulcan 750
1992 Vulcan (parts)
buster711
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1998 1100xv virago

2001 Intruder 1400
Sex: Male

Re: Clutch Retainer/Balls

PostAuthor: buster711 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:48 pm

So with no thanks to the CLYMER or the Techspark CD and plenty of thanks to Haynes manual and Bill for placing the link to it in plain site on my "Start Issue" post - I think it appears that I should only have to unhook the clutch cable from the handlebar, then after removing clutch side cover and cable from under that cover, I should merely need to unscrew the bolt and adjustment screw then lift out that plate and HOPEFULLY just set the little balls back into correct position so that when I lay it back into place it is in the right position for the cable lever handle to sit on it with the correct position to hook up the cable @ both ends and then adjust bottom followed by adjusting @ the handlebar and hopefully all will be well to tighten things down on guards, foot peg bars and installing the foot shift lever to be all ready to go....
So HOPEFULLY I have this correct in my assumption and understanding of procedure from the directions BUT if anyone notices ANYTHING I am missing or in error on PLEASE reply so I am not creating more problems than trying to solve...ALSO .if anybody sees that I am doing it correctly then a "YOU GOT IT" is ALWAYS a welcome site when checking to see what comments/suggestions are here....
Thanks so much for all the help received here through the years This site is a TRUE LIFE SAVER as far as doing things correctly so that the machines operate smoothly but MOST OF ALL SAFELY as we cruise on down the highway...
PS. will hopefully be posting a "SOLVED" addition to this post soon :):)
1998 xv 1100 27k
no emission crap
2001 intruder 1400
2000 Vulcan 750
1992 Vulcan (parts)
buster711
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

2001 Intruder 1400

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:48 pm

here's a thread on replacing your clutch ---> viewtopic.php?f=75&t=7482

towards the bottom of the page is about dealing with the 3-ball gizmo.

hope that helps.

once you successfully have the side case back on, the 3-ball gizzy should stay in place, as long as you don't move the handlebar-lever while the adj. lever lock-nut is loose.
---> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46216
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun May 05, 2019 2:55 am

:yup:

buster711 wrote:So with no thanks to the CLYMER

:;: Same pic in Clymers. Always preferred Clymer vs. Haynes any-day. Haynes too abbreviated. Probly cuz the older Clymers doesn't get into the 535. But..to each their own.

My only bug-a-boo with how Yamaha (or "any" bike) I've owned, is where the final lever's freeplay ends up. Me? I've always set my lever to engage the friction point around 1/4" or so, from the grip. Not the 1/8" from the full lever's extension, as it's set "by-the-book". Seen lotta of riders, without the touch, poo-goo'n (even kill'n the engine), trying to slip the clutch at slow speed maneuvering and sometimes, even slow-dropp'n their bikes. Kinda funny to watch, actually. :bg: Totally, personal taste.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Sun May 05, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: buster711 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:49 pm

Well I thought I did everything correctly but obviously NOT....Bike fired right up once all put back together and sounded great....
Problem became quite apparent when I pulled in clutch and pushed the shift peg down to first gear = Nothing...Though the neutral light went out and the engine stalled because of kick stand still down....When restarted with stand up I tried moving shift peg down, up and going back to neutral (green light on) then dwn/up again and nothing...No strange sounds but no movement when letting out the clutch..
So I definitely did something wrong because when I began working on replacing starter clutch all was well with the gears...Even now the clutch feels like there is proper pressure to it and it was moving properly at the lower end before putting on cover - but like I said other than green light going off there is no sign of going into gear...
Any thoughts deeply appreciated...
Buster
1998 xv 1100 27k
no emission crap
2001 intruder 1400
2000 Vulcan 750
1992 Vulcan (parts)
buster711
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

2001 Intruder 1400

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:27 pm

sounds to me like something is either placed "out of order"/sequence or has moved out of adjustment/position.
https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... d2d/clutch

some models had a ball-bearing that could get lost - now it's the 3-ball gizmo to deal with. :up2:

the gremlins that work in the clutch can be devious, until you learn their tricks.

try another "full" adjustment making sure the hand lever isn't moved while the adj. lever nut (on side-case) is loose, and adj rod is screwed in fully (past the trickster seal).
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

SOLVED

PostAuthor: buster711 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:46 am

Thank GOD for the internet and ESPECIALLY for this site....
ANYWAY I saw that from the disassembly, reassembly over & over past couple weeks that I had broken the tab @ bottom holding cable...So used very tiny clamp + wire to hold it in and STILL was not acting right...So went back on line to look @ adjustment method and sure enough I had the mechanism @ bottom in upside down...So turned it over...Did adjustments and working fine now...Of course am ordering that part since the make shift job I did is sure to fall apart eventually.
Thanks for all the help and hooray to being back on the road....now I can start looking @ 1400 Intruder 01 to see why not starting...HAS to be an electric issue since got nothing passed lights & full pump.
thanks again guys & God Bless
1998 xv 1100 27k
no emission crap
2001 intruder 1400
2000 Vulcan 750
1992 Vulcan (parts)
buster711
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

2001 Intruder 1400