• Advertisement

Post a reply

Vacuum leak at carb intake vs head gasket

PostAuthor: Toroake » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:40 pm

Hello forum!

I have acquired a 1988 1100 Virago. Sat for about 10 years
I have got it running but I am experiencing intake leak at the
Forward cylinder . I have replaced the O-rings which made no difference
I’m not 100% positive that the head gasket isn’t Blown no visible indication though.
I do know that when I sprayed a little fuel around the booth there is an RPM pick up.
Are these boots typical to leak after sitting for a long period of time? They seem robust enough. Are the head gaskets on this model prone to blowing? I don’t want to throw parts at this thing I already did that with the O-rings ! Cheap enough! Lol It’s definitely running lean on the forward cylinder popping into the carburetor. The intake boots are not cheap just to throw them at the machine. I’ve considered using some RTV gasket sealant in addition to the O-rings but that’s kind of sloppy. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this subject.

Tim

Toroake
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1988 1100 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Vacuum leak at carb intake vs head gasket

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:04 pm

If you sprayed around the carb holders and you got a change in engine rpm, there is your leak. With a bike that old and that has sat that long, I would suggest changing the carb holders.... Here's a link to new ones.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Intake-Manif ... ctupt=true

A quick compression and leakdown test will tell you if you have a bad head gasket.. This is something I would recommend doing any way.
You did change all the fluids before you ran the engine? Right?

Please edit you profile to show your location.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Toroake » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:13 pm

yes, all fluids are replaced. I just did an ether test with the small straw attached. I worked around the cylinders both are compromised , especially the forward one.

Thank you, know anyone who has a digital manual they would like to share. Im looking on eBay for a factory one but only see chilton, and Haynes, not my first choice!

Toroake
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1988 1100 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:55 am

Haynes is a good manual and has color wiring diagrams with come in very handy. OEM manual does not... After 5 posts on this site, you can download a service manual for free. See the link below my avatar.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement