Click Here

First Time Owner, Various Issues

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

First Time Owner, Various Issues

PostAuthor: Horcrux_6 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:15 am

Morning mateys

First off would just like to say that as you probably get quite often, I am writing from the perspective of this being my first ever big bike, so know practically zero about motorcycles to any depth, & apologise in advance if any of this sounds stupid.

Onto the bike then; I've wanted a Virago for years & once having passed my test, immediately picked up a 1991 XV 535, which, heartbrakingly, has given me NOTHING but problems, a few of which I'd appreciate some advice regarding as & when ye folk have time--

1) Fuel switch

Only manual I can find seems to be for a different model; within said manual the fuel reserve switch is on the right handlebar controller, underneath the electric start-- on my model, however, this is where the lights switch is; my fuel reserve is an entirely isolated switch on the left handlebar, and reads 'FUEL, with ON or OFF'. I'm assuming this was implemented by one of the previous owners, however I haven't yet been able to figure out which position relates to which tank, so I'm never quite sure which I'm actually riding from. Can provide pictures as necessary.

2) Tank size

Again, from manual, it says the bike has a 13L capacity-- is this for the main tank, or the main and the reserve together?

3) White Smoke

I know being a V Twin this thing gets hot, but on the only (relatively of course, being from London) hot day we've had since I've owned it and actually rode for a considerable amount of time,
I was stopped at a traffic light and could smell what I thought was oil burning; I looked and there was white smoke coming up to my right. I pulled over, left it running and had a proper butchers-- the smoke wasn't coming
from the exhaust, but from (literally) underneath the engine; I'd just had some electrics rewired so I wasn't sure if it was maybe just some oil left on the chasis from then, however it happend on journeys thereafter. Ive since narrowed it down and it seems to be coming from underneath the right-side of the engine, pretty much paralell to the back-brake pedal, almost from inbetween the engine bolts-- I've tried to wipe it down as best I can so am gonna take it out agian today, get it hot then see if it happens again, however for all intents and purposes I assume this to be an internal oil leak, which is rather bad, correct?

4) Engine Revs / overheating

Again, sorta following on from the above, as said once the engine gets properly hot, the thing starts to rev like nuts-- again, as I don't have any base reference for this bike as to how it should sound or smell having not used it too much, I don't know if this is normal or not; I did however have an issue with my carbs (we think) about a month after I bought it, and it would seem to me that there's air getting in somewhere, hence the mental revs-- could it possibly be that my idle revs should be lowered via the turn switch by my right brake on the handlebar or is that ridiculous to even suggest

So I guess I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid here given the amount of problems I've had in the short time I've owned it, or whether I should just accept defeat and sell it to cut my losses as it's already cost me an arm and a leg on top of what I paid in the first place.

Much appreciated for any & all help

Horcrux_6
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1991 XV 535
Sex: Male

Re: First Time Owner, Various Issues

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:10 am

:VTF: after 5 posts you can download a manual from this site for free. I suggest the Haynes... Please edit your profile to show your location.
As for the smoking problem, you probably have an overfull crankcase, i.e. fuel has gotten into the crankcase from a stuck float. Change the oil and filter.
'fuel switch. The upper tank feeds the lower tank and you always run out of the lower tank.
'engine revs: Vacuum leak! use WD40 or some other spray and spray around the vacuum lines and carb holders, If the engine rpm changes, you have found your leak. If you use starting fluid, be careful with it.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Horcrux_6 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:14 am

Thank you very much guvna, will try all the above-- wil also update location

Horcrux_6
Brand New
Brand New

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:26 am

I would suspect an oil leak dripping on the exhaust, more so than overfilled crankcase, based on your description.

the smoke wasn't coming
from the exhaust, but from (literally) underneath the engine

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Horcrux_6 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:22 am

Yep that's what I'm worried about, if so it's gonna cost a lot to fix as I have no means of doing so myself, hence why I'm considering just biting the bullet and selling it

Horcrux_6
Brand New
Brand New

PostAuthor: beardedmoose » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:45 pm

I am a new motorcycle rider/owner and I chose an XV1100 as my first bike, I am in IT by trade and have minimal mechanical skills but I do have the will to learn so as long as you have that you too can fix this bike and get it running, it will just take time and patience.

I agree with draining and replacing the oil as it could be the overfull crankcase with fuel, I had the same issue with my bike when I first got it. Mine had white smoke and I thought it was a bad head gasket or valves. It was dripping where the muffler and downpipe meet and I thought it was the case seals as well but it turns out the gas filled oil will leak much easier because it is thinner and can ruin internals pretty fast as well so change that as fast as possible.

I would also recommend getting the rebuild kit for the carbs, learning a lot about them and rebuilding / cleaning them as that can also cause idle, starting, and fuel leakage issues.

Can't speak for the on/off switch on whether that is normal or not, I have the one on the right with the words res and on.
beardedmoose
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 98 XV1100 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:37 am

Horcrux_6 wrote:Yep that's what I'm worried about, if so it's gonna cost a lot to fix as I have no means of doing so myself, hence why I'm considering just biting the bullet and selling it

Clean the area as best you can using brake cleaner or equivalent, then get a can of spray talcum powder and spray the whole area. Wait overnight and you should be able to see where the oil leak is coming from. It may be nothing more than a loose bolt or a failed gasket....
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement