VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Need some motivation...

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Need some motivation...

PostAuthor: jrtaylorthird » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:13 am

Hey all, hope everyone's having a great start to their week.

Before continuing, let me preface by saying I'm 24 and this is my first major undertaking like this, before all I had done was change tires, oil, and replace an alternator in my at-the-time girlfriend's truck.

Okay, moving on.
After a few months of tinkering during my free time I got my 1996 XV750 to run, change gears, and actually move off the parking slab it's been resting on since June last year. My level of excitement was through the roof, obviously! But during this tinkering, I realized the front brakes had locked up, and had to have them removed. No big deal, I can handle that. Got that all sorted out, and started removing the exhaust wrap...

Only to find out the exhaust wrap had been used to cover a rather large hole, along with some cracks from deep rust in the rear header. Great. So I take the time to drop the engine, take it and original pipes to an old friend with some welding tools/materials, along with some piping I purchased to rebuild said header, but the piping wasn't the right steel. Whoda thunk :con:

So now I've got an engine on a table, a frame in the shed leaned up against the wall, and absolutely no motivation to continue because I truly feel like I've bit off more than I can chew. I need to find a new exhaust system, and find the courage to remount the engine when I barely got it out alone (used an old jack, 2x4, and skateboard to remove it, YEESH).

Any advice or comforting words, VTF? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
James. :usa:

jrtaylorthird
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Need some motivation...

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:33 am

Ermmm...Buck Up...Sissypants....You wanna ride or not? :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:21 am

Flyingdog wrote:Ermmm...Buck Up...Sissypants....You wanna ride or not? :bg:

Oh, now those are encouraging words indeed!

OP; First thing you need to do is that nothing is impossible! Then get yourself a factory service manual. Take it one step at a time and you will learn about your bike as you go. You got the engine out, there is only a few bolts that hold it in place and you already know where those go. Get the rear on installed and then use a floor jack to lift the front of the engine up to where you can get the other bolts installed.. It isn't that hard.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: drainplug » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Always remember like boats, a motorcycle is a hole on 2 wheels into which you throw money.
Unlike a boat, there's no docking fee.
The wise gardener shakes the tree
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:12 pm

what's the old saying about eating an elephant --- 'one bite at a time'.

getting/finding a riding buddy could help, too.

this depressing winter weather don't help either... warm, spring sunshine [soon, please!] will pick you up and help inspire you.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: chrismalm » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 pm

I recommend you watch the Youtube videos from Chiefpep and Hackaweek, rebuilding their Virago and Honda CB750 from the ground up. They take some wrong turns and hit some dead ends, but they persevere and succeed. Also, the best tool in my garage is a simple stand I made from $50 of plumbing pipe and a couple large ratchet straps. I put the engine on a small moving dolly from Harbor Freight. I bolt the frame onto the engine. Then I hoist the engine/frame up with the stand & straps and continue assembly. I got the idea from another member many years ago. After use, the feet of the stand can be twisted to allow the stand to hang flat against a wall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Malm
chrismalm
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XZ550H
1982 XZ550H (project)
1982 XV750 (project)
1982 XV920 (project)

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:16 am

Nice idea.

Could also use that hoist to hold up front of bike high enough to roll the engine on a floor jack. Least you'd have plenty of room, then to hoist the engine up to the rear mounting points. That's the toughest part doing it by yerself. If I had the room, definitely would have something like that.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Gen"