Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

New owner with an issue XV535 from 93 (SOLVED)

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

New owner with an issue XV535 from 93 (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: tiagodisouza » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:05 pm

The bike is a Yamaha Virago XV535 from 93 and has 30k kilometers on it

I'll be honest I'm really new to motorcycles and motor vehicles in general hence why I came here.

My current problem is the following:

I turn the key and I hear the pump which i assume is normal but when I press the start button the engine cranks a bit and nothing happens.
It will not start and I have no idea why.
Just 2 days ago i turned it on in my front yard to get the juices in the engine running since it had been stopped for quite a while and it was fine and ran for like 10 minutes until i turned it back off(at this time i did not hear the pump).

I received it as a gift and i really like the bike but I'd really like to know how to handle these issues.

The bike is a Yamaha Virago XV535 from 93
tiagodisouza
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 93 Yamaha Virago XV535
Sex: Male

Re: New owner with an issue XV535 from 93

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:03 pm

Howdy, and Welcome to VTF.

I would 1st thing, put it on a battery charger and make sure the battery is fully charged.

XVs tend to like a fat-and-happy battery with clean/tight electrical connections to preform its best.

like the 1000/1100 - yes, it is normal for the fuel pump to run each time the key is turned on [~5 seconds]

if it doesn't start with a 'full' battery, and fresh, clean gas, pull the plugs, re-insert into cable, and make sure the big metal part of the plug is grounded/touching the cylinder as you push the start button again.
caution: fuel being 'blown' out the hole is usually flammable! so no sparking close to it.

there should be a spark at the tip [hopefully fat & blue] as engine turns. [repeat with other]

since the engine needs only 3 things to run [fuel, air, spark] that will give you a place to start looking for what's the issue.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:41 am

:VTF:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:24 am

Good advice from Mark.. :VTF: Let us know what you find.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: tiagodisouza » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:27 am

Hey guys I'm back.

I charged my battery using a Ultimate speed battery charger, took about 2 hours for it to read as charged and put into the bike, the bike started when i gave it a little air on the choke and kept on for maybe 30 seconds, i took the battery back out and plugged to the charger and the reader said it wasn't charged, is it time to get a new battery?
Or did i just leave it to charge for too little time?

Also this bike sounds amazing man, all my neighbours popped their heads out ahahah

The battery is a BS Battery BB12AL-A2 SLA
tiagodisouza
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:07 pm

Few things come to mine to start off your inquiries may help pin down the problem.

tiagodisouza wrote:using a Ultimate speed battery charger,

The word "Speed" doesn't sound good. How many amps is this charger? You really want the lowest amp rating as possible. .5 or .75 to 1 amp is good. 1.5-2 amps is..well.. IMO.. just ok.
And charging could take quite awhile.

tiagodisouza wrote:read as charged and put into the bike..plugged to the charger and the reader said it wasn't charged

This sounds kinda a red flag..as in: Is, what you're using just showing a band of words like: Bad...Good/Charged..Discharged? Maybe with a band of colors for the different states of charge? What I'm getting to is this type of showing state of charge isn't really all that accurate..more for things like 9v/A/B/C/D household batteries.
You need a multi-meter to get the more accurate reading. Doesn't have to be pricey..can get them for $10 will get ya by.

How old is this battery? How long did it sit, unused? That's a sealed battery, so it shouldn't go south, too soon. If it's not too old. It may just need a looong..slow...charge. Emphasis on "Slow & Low (amp)https://viragotechforum.com/posting.php?mode=edit&f=4&p=487049.

There will be other things you can/should check farther down the line. What kinda sticks out atm, is you took this battery off the bike and said it showed discharged. That maybe an indication of bad charging system on the bike. You'll need the multimeter to check the charging system. Alternator/RR etc etc etc. Can be doing that while the battery is on charge. Like I said..charging could take quite awhile. But, it's a start...good luck.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: tiagodisouza » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Flyingdog wrote:Few things come to mine to start off your inquiries may help pin down the problem.

tiagodisouza wrote:using a Ultimate speed battery charger,

The word "Speed" doesn't sound good. What amp is this? You really want the lowest amp rating as possible. .5 or .75 to 1 amp is good. 1.5 amps is..well IMO just ok.
And charging could take quite awhile.

tiagodisouza wrote:read as charged and put into the bike..plugged to the charger and the reader said it wasn't charged

This sounds kinda a red flag..as in: Is, what you're using just showing a band of words like: Bad...Good/Charged..Discharged? Maybe with a band of colors for the different states of charge? What I'm getting to is this type of showing state of charge isn't really all that accurate..more for things like 9v/A/B/C/D household batteries.
You need a multi-meter to get the more accurate reading. Doesn't have to be pricey..can get them for $10 will get ya by.

How old is this battery? How long it it sit, unused? That a sealed battery, so it should go south, too soon It may just need a looong..slow...charge. Emphasis on "Slow & Low (amp).

There will be other things you can/should check farther down the line. What kinda sticks out atm, is you took this battery off the bike and said it showed discharged. That maybe an indication of bad charging system on the bike. You'll need the multimeter to check the charging system. Alternator/RR etc etc etc. Can be doing that while the battery is on charge. Like I said..charging could take quite awhile. But, it's a start...good luck.

The charger is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXx2Y4gurdk

It shows a number and a battery bar (similar to a phone when it charges) and it was fully charged and swapped automatically to retention mode.
it showed 12.8 on the number part

Edit: i checked the manual.
This charger has 4 modes and the mode i'm using (motorcycle mode) charges at 0.8
tiagodisouza
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: tiagodisouza » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Hello guys.

I've went and took the battery to a shop and I was told the battery was shorting and should be replaced, which I did.
I put everything in there and connected nice and pretty and the bike still wont start, one difference i can notice is there's a sort of kick now.

Here's a video with what's happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKWWnBVe6nY
This was before the battery replacement.
The only difference now is that kick sound i was talking about up there that seems like the bike is trying.
tiagodisouza
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:25 pm

mark75 wrote:...

if it doesn't start with a 'full' battery, and fresh, clean gas,
pull the plugs, re-insert into cable, and make sure the big-metal-part of the plug is grounded/touching the cylinder as you push the start button again.
caution: fuel being 'blown' out the hole is usually flammable! so no sparking close to it.

there should be spark at the tip [hopefully fat & blue] as engine turns. [repeat with other]

since the engine needs only 3 things to run [fuel, air, spark] that will give you a place to start looking for what's the issue.

above edited for clarity

do this with both spark plugs removed so it can turn more easily.

so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: tiagodisouza » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:36 am

mark75 wrote:
mark75 wrote:...

if it doesn't start with a 'full' battery, and fresh, clean gas,
pull the plugs, re-insert into cable, and make sure the big-metal-part of the plug is grounded/touching the cylinder as you push the start button again.

there should be spark at the tip [hopefully fat & blue] as engine turns. [repeat with other]

above edited for clarity

do this with both spark plugs removed so it can turn more easily.

I found out what was wrong and it was really a newbie mistake.

As I was working on the spark plug thing I noticed a hanging tube... which was the tube that leads to the fuel pump...ye I know....

I reconnected everything and the bike starts fine and dandy, there is one issue though, the clutch desperately needs to be tuned, I cannot stop at a red light by going into first and holding the clutch as the bike stalls.

I fiddled with the clutch wire a little bit and got it to the point where i can stop by holding the clutch if i rev the bike a little bit.
I'm not gonna do anymore mistakes and take it over to the mechanics so he can do it. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for all the help and at least i found i had a faulty battery
tiagodisouza
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:00 pm

tiagodisouza wrote:a newbie mistake. noticed a hanging tube... which was the tube that leads to the fuel pump...ye I know..

:hair:

Absolutely no reason to give it a second thought. We've "ALL" done it many-many times...and...will continue to do it.
Every-time I hear something like this, I always reminisce years ago when a old (asin he was) riding buddy, damn near tore his bike apart. Trying to find why it wouldn't start. After bout 1/2hr of fling'n this, throwing that and learning a whole new vocabulary, I just happen to see something. "Click"... Try it now, I said. PHaaraap, fired right off. What-the-hell did you do, he asked.

"Kill Switch!"
Last edited by Flyingdog on Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:15 pm

ditto. we've all done it - part of the 'learning curve'.

here's a walk-thru on clutch adjustment that might help ---> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46216

*** don't touch the handlebar lever while the lock-nut is loose as you might dislodge the 3-ball gizmo/adjuster and have to pull the side-case.

... Mark Twain

mark75
Mod
Mod

Re: New owner with an issue XV535 from 93 (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: tiagodisouza » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:15 am

Hey guys sorry to be reviving this topic

While i was cleaning the bike i turned it on and someone told me the sound was a bit too "thumpy" and metallic, is this normal or should i hurry the bike to a mechanic before i mess it up.

Here's a link with the bike's sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eRQETl0z5A
tiagodisouza
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Re: New owner with an issue XV535 from 93 (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 am

First things first..I'd adjust the valves. Tapping sound seems bout as rhythmic as the bikes' rpms.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Gen"