VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Vacuum Line to the IGNITION ADVANCE

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Vacuum Line to the IGNITION ADVANCE

PostAuthor: Michael Torre » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Has anyone pulled apart the vacuum line going from the intake manifold to the IGNITION advance ?

I replaced the line and I found a restrictor with a tiny pinhole in it. I'm wondering if the previous owner did that or if that's standard. I have the factory manual and it doesn't say anything about that feature.
Thank you.
M->
Last edited by Michael Torre on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truth........when the Word and the Deed become One.
Michael Torre
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 96 XV1100
Sex: Male

Re: Vacuum Line to the TCI

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:19 pm

Michael Torre wrote:Has anyone pulled apart the vacuum line going from the intake manifold to the TCI?

I replaced the line and I found a restrictor with a tiny pinhole in it. I'm wondering if the previous owner did that or if that's standard. I have the factory manual and it doesn't say anything about that feature.
Thank you.
M->

No vacuum line to the TCI, do you mean the pressure sensor ?

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

Re

PostAuthor: Michael Torre » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15 pm

My duh...
Close proximity of the two components makes me think of them as one.

If the pressure sensor.

M->
Last edited by Michael Torre on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Torre
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Re: Vacuum Line to the IGNITION ADVANCE

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:23 pm

The Pressure Sensor is located over the front cylinder above the coils.. The TCI is located on the front side of the rear fender just behind the battery... Close together??
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Michael Torre » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:07 pm

Does anybody on this forum know the answer to my question about to restrictor in the vacuum line?
sheesh.

M->
Michael Torre
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:26 pm

I never split the line, but AFAIK there was no such reducer on the press sensor vac-line on mine.

there might be such a device needed for someone using vacuum gage to synch the carbs ?? :con:

such a thing there would be used to reduce the fluctuations in / stabilize the gage needle. [instead of having a full-swing with each pulse]
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Michael Torre wrote:Does anybody on this forum know the answer to my question about to restrictor in the vacuum line?
sheesh.

Wow..you just asked the question yesterday. Clymers and Haynes both show this. If you got a "factory service" manual, I'm sure it in there, too. Not entirely sure bout the 1100 vacuum hose routing? Look in the fuel/exhaust/emission's chapter. A 4-way going to the pressure sensor, coast enricher..etc etc and a 2-way to the air cut valve. Both directional.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Michael Torre » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:03 pm

I agree with you for the reasons that the restrictor is in the line.( minimize pulses for example)

But it is visible as a little blue line where the hoses split over both nipples.

And it is about 3in from the pressure sensor. And 6 inches from the carburetor vacuum lines "T".

While sneaking the rubber vacuum line out from the pressure sensor--coil area I noticed a bulge in the hose.

(I was doing maintenance and replaced all the rubber lines with silicone lines.)

With the numerous people reporting they detect no difference with a pressure sensor plugged or unplugged I am wondering why bother?

I think before I make any permanent decisions I'm going to have to do a closed course acceleration test with a stop watch and a start-stop line.

Otherwise what do we have? just speculation.
M->
Michael Torre
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Michael Torre » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:46 am

Flyingdog wrote:
Michael Torre wrote:Does anybody on this forum know the answer to my question about to restrictor in the vacuum line?
sheesh.

Wow..you just asked the question yesterday. Clymers and Haynes both show this. If you got a "factory service" manual, I'm sure it in there, too. Not entirely sure bout the 1100 vacuum hose routing? Look in the fuel/exhaust/emission's chapter. A 4-way going to the pressure sensor, coast enricher..etc etc and a 2-way to the air cut valve. Both directional.

wow I did ask that yesterday. I could not find that in the manual. I am sorry to have put you through this. Thank you very much. I'm sorry if it cost you that much WoW

By the way useless information since you don't know anything about the 1100
m
Last edited by Michael Torre on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Torre
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:52 am

:;:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Michael Torre » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:06 pm

(!)
Michael Torre
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Michael Torre wrote:you don't know anything about the 1100

Not sure what voice said that one, but..whatever. It's your bike. Good luck.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Michael Torre » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:58 am

For what it's worth for people following this in the future.

That restrictor is to be installed between the emissions equipment and the vacuum source according to the printed sources I have at this time

It would appear that the previous owner had a another idea about the purpose of that restrictor.

Since this bike is now an emissions free machine, that part will be used for the vacuum operated petcock which is on the replacement fuel tank.

There seems to be no small disagreement as to whether the advance is a beneficial feature on this platform or not I won't do stopwatch test and future and try to find this post over this spring.

M->
Michael Torre
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:43 pm

The purpose of the Pressure Sensor is to retard the timing on decel to prevent popping back if I recall correctly. I still have it on my 1100. I disconnected the vacuum line to it to see if there was a difference and couldn't see any difference in power at all.. It's an emissions thing. I am sure it is there to meet emissions specs for the EPA. That being the case, it does probably make a difference in emissions.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Thanks Bill.
We can always count on you to give us the 'skinny' on things, and also answer a question that has been in the back of my mind for a long time.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: faffi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:20 pm

I suspect the vacuum advancer is there to increase the ignition advance under high vacuum situations, basically under trailing throttle and under gentle cruising. Advancing the ignition under light load will reduce fuel consumption and also reduce emissions. But under heavy load, such high advance will cause pinging, which is harmful to the engine. Luckily, there is very little vacuum under high load conditions, meaning ignition timing will be retarded to a safe value.

The first motorcycle I know of to have used vacuum as a second means to control ignition advance together with electronic ignition was the XS1100, but there could have been others before it that are unknown to me.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:27 am

:yup:
Give that man 1/2 a cookie. 4°- 5° (if even that much) advance is probly all you'll see if the thing is working. Usually cuz all the other smog stuff is "not" working is why most people don't see a difference in performance with or without the thing connected. Besides, take the 1100, for example, retarding the timing would be alittle redundant, since there's already a decel valve on the carbs. IIRC (cause it's been yrs and don't remember the exact numbers), but I put some gauges on various ports, at one time and there's almost "no" difference in vacuum during acceleration or deceleration. Least under a no load situation. Pretty constant. Was always little curious about that little doohickie when I first came across it, back in the 80's. So I started goof'n with it with the usual lights and meters. Never did figure out how much vacuum was needed before the electrical pulse was created. Seems like it was never a constant before the trigger point. Don't remember. (Eventually didn't care) Conclusion, it was a pretty useless addition to all the other EPA garbage. Probly why all that stuff was 86'd (on my bike) since the late 80s. :):
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Gen"