VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Carb push back by backfire

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Carb push back by backfire

PostAuthor: aldntn » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:05 am

Yesterday I'm thinking "geez those Bosch platinums have been in there for 15K miles and she's not starting quite as quick as usual; I ought to at least look at 'em".

The plug in the front cylinder was very tight. I soaked it overnight with WD40...still tight. I definitely didn't want to strip the head, so I figured to run that plug as long as she'd run. Later, I decided to try it hot. Plug comes out!. The plugs are dark, but the tips are grey. She runs great. So I just clean 'em up, gap 'em and put 'em back in.

I do my standard start check. She's backfires like she does sometimes. I'm used to it by now. But when she starts, she's on one cylinder and there is a stuck valve like sucking sound. Initially I thought it was the end.

But I determined that the back cylinder was the trouble. I did a visual. The carb to rear cylinder was pushed away from the boot. This morning I removed enough stuff to be able to push the carb back into the boot.

She lives! When I get everything back in place, think I'll go for a ride.

aldntn
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: 48vintage » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:59 am

When assembling I normally coat every bolt w/ anti-seize (unless it needs lock-tite) . . including the spark plugs . . drilling, re-threading, helicoils, etc; ain't any fun at all.

Gary
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end” Ursula K. LeGuin

:olcoot: Alas . . . I'm a bikeless old coot

In order for others to assist you easier it is necessary for you to fill in your profile!
Please include your bike info in your signature - and be sure to turn your signature on!
48vintage
Mod
Mod

Re: Carb push back by backfire

PostAuthor: Verbious » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:07 am

The same thing happened to me!

I strongly suggest checking all the rubber in the carb holder for rips and tears. Mine was blown completely out, necessitating the need for a set of holders.

I found some locally for $20.
Verbious
Mod
Mod

Re: Carb push back by backfire

PostAuthor: aldntn » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:49 pm

My routine for spark plugs (for like 30 years) has been to clean the threads on the plug with WD40 and torque just enough to mash the gasket down. In that time I've one loose plug and now I've had one tight plug. Maybe the ol Virago needs special treatment.

The boot looked good. Got the carb back in place and did a test ride. She runs great. The boots are 22 years old, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ol gal split one. At least, now, I won't think she's spit a valve on me!

aldntn
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Gen"