VTF Google Search
 Click Here

virago 1100 1993 won't start after sitting for two months

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

virago 1100 1993 won't start after sitting for two months

PostAuthor: owly » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:32 am

I had trouble with a clunk in a cylinder but it started normally. I then let it sit for a couple months without touching it and now it won't start.
I trickle charged the battery and used an external jump start battery.
The started engages but doesn't turn over the engine.

What would be the most likely culprit?
The gas tank is 3/4 full. Could condensation room a start in 2 months?

owly
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: Virago 1100 1993
Sex: Male

Re: virago 1100 1993 won't start after sitting for two month

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:50 pm

1st - you'll need to see if the engine seized? or if it's the starter? why it wont turn-over.

pull the spark plugs, put in 1st or 2nd gear, and see if you can push it and turn over the engine.

if it turns-over ok you can then start looking into the starter system (battery, starter, wiring, etc.)

can you describe the "clunk in a cylinder" a bit more?

IMO - the most common offender for XV is the battery (or connections to it).
M/C batteries have a hard (short) life generally.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not --- :fan:

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely ---> Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Thomas Paine --- 1776 December 23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: owly » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:44 pm

This is the sound it makes when trying to start: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kcxh4d ... sp=sharing
In the middle, the jump starter isn't connected but is at the beginning and end.

I tried starting it in second gear while on the center stand and the rear wheel was turning. I assume that means the engine isn't seized?

owly
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: owly » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:49 pm

As for the clunk, it would happen while riding when cruising. If it's purely accelerating it wouldn't clunk, but as soon as it had power left over it would.
When I pull the clutch the clunk would stop.
I don't remember exactly the sound but metal on metal in a way to make me think it was very important to not let it happen.

owly
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:05 pm

okay, we'll set the "clunk" aside for now, until she starts more predictably.
that's like another issue. --- no-start / no-clunk :;:

so it turns over, (not seized) but too slowly to start -
1st suspect is the battery, yet you said it is being jumped. [OK to use a car battery if car not running while jumping]
check all the connections are good - shiny / tight esp. ground, also the condition of cables.

2nd suspect is the starter may need service - clean, lube, maybe new brushes [4-brush type is best replacement]
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not --- :fan:

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely ---> Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Thomas Paine --- 1776 December 23

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:26 pm

That sounds like a battery problem. New battery time. Did you let it sit with fuel in it?
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Alvega » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:24 pm

Any (good) news? :cl:
Alvega
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: I found my 535! For the moment it's only a 267,5!

PostAuthor: owly » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:11 am

I should have tried this before. I connected the battery directly to the starter motor and nothing. I've tried cleaning them out before but they seem to work for a little before going out again. I bought another.

owly
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:25 am

owly wrote: I've tried cleaning them out before but they seem to work for a little before going out again. I bought another.

Not entirely sure whatcha meant here. Maybe cleaning the terminals? Anyway, just wanted to let ya know, quite often, batteries sold this early in the year are left over stock from last year. Not always, but just something to keep in mind. Best thing to do, what ever battery you buy, "Charge It" (preferably 1-2amp) before putting it into service. Your battery will thank ya for it. Cuz, who knows how long it sat on the self.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Gen"