VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Breaker bars and torque wrench sizes???

General Virago Help Topics
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Breaker bars and torque wrench sizes???

PostAuthor: thescreaminchicken » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:15 pm

I feel a lot like @mototom when he started about seven years ago. He just bought a 2003 Virago, and had lots of questions.

My main goal is to keep my motorcycle as far from the dealership as possible. Although, I read you can get a dealership involved, if you do most of the leg work yourself, such as removing a tired you want changed or fixed, by taking just the tire itself to the dealership. One YouTuber mentioned his bike always comes back with scratches that weren't there beforehand. But if push comes to shove, I researched a reputable repair shop not too far away after hearing about it from a neighbor who does most of the wrenching on his three vehicles.

Alright, here are my questions. I heard about Harbor Freight, but never had a need for them until now.

Do I need various size breaker bars? 1/2, 3/4, 3/8 Main objective would be to adjust my tire slack and align my rear tire.
Do I need various size torque wrenches? 1/2, 1/4, 3/8 Main objective would be to tighten the bolts on both sides of the tire.

As of this morning, I have a 1/4 and 3/8 torque wrench for a steal. I have no breaker bars, but saw on YouTube, and read that I would need one.

Thanks to @mototom, I will invest in some Maxima chain wax to lube my roller chain after I make the adjustment and do some chain cleaning. So many people have O-Ring chains, so lube for them is all over the place. They mention using a different type based on chain type, but never mention which lubes are good for old school roller chains.
2005 Yamaha V-Star Virago XV250
thescreaminchicken
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2005 Yamaha V-Star Virago XV250
Sex: Male

Re: Breaker bars and torque wrench sizes???

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:21 pm

torque wrench is one of those things that is very beneficial to have, but you wont use it much [hopefully]

I bought a 3/8-Craftsman in 1972 (near best-quality available then) and I bet I haven't used it < 20 times; however, in some cases it's a "must-use"... :con:

breaker-bars? meh, a good impact wrench is a better investment. IMO

JMO: :olcoot:
old school roller chain best lube is grease/wax dissolved in solvent type.
that way it penetrates into the rollers, solvent goes leaving the lube with less 'sling-off' [and maybe less attractive to grit]
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: thescreaminchicken » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:25 pm

@Mark75 1972 was a good year for you, me, and Richard Nixon. hahaha!!!

Thanks. Well, I went mid-level, and got the 1/2" - 25" Pittsburgh Professional breaker bar. I read the reviews, and decided against the one with the cushioned grip for $8 more. If I am wearing mechanic gloves, I will already have a cushioned grip. And as you mentioned, I will probably rarely mine either. I'll be getting the 1/2 torque wrench during the blowout sale later this week.
thescreaminchicken
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: drainplug » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:43 pm

Trust me, any excuse to buy tools is good enough for me.
But........
For a 250 you have no need for 3/4" drive anything.
Chain Wax has been something I use for any type of chain and for the lever pivots, cables or any other place that I
want to move and not collect dust/dirt. The shift linkages on the 1100 & 750's are another good place.
If you want to save some serious $ get some tire irons and learn to change your own tires.
Some shops charge up to $30 per tire, even if you carry them in!

As for 1972, I remember the saying "Why change Dicks in the middle of a screw, vote for Nixon in 72"
The wise gardener shakes the tree
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

PostAuthor: thescreaminchicken » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:56 am

@drainplug

Thanks. My mistake. I meant 1/2, 1/4, 3/8 on the breaker bars.

Chain wax then. OK. I found out that I could upgrade to an O-Ring change. Either are affordable on eBay, and include front and rear sprockets.

Just waiting for my Black Widow front and rear stands to arrive, then I can dive into my first adventure with motorcycle wrenching!

Love that Nixon rhyme! hahaha!!!
thescreaminchicken
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help "Gen"