Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Waitin' for the light to change...

• Advertisement

Post a reply

How long do you wait at an actuated traffic signal that obviously doesn't know you're there?

As long as it takes
12%
About a minute, then I run the light
38%
About 5 minutes, then I run the light
15%
Until a car pulls up behind me
15%
I just make a legal right (or left) hand turn
15%
I never wait for traffic lights
4%

Total votes : 26

Waitin' for the light to change...

PostAuthor: PerpetualConstruction » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Up here in NE Ohio we've got a lot of lightly traveled roads with actuated traffic signals (stop lights that only turn green when a car pulls up). About half the time a bike, or sometimes two bikes, aren't enough to trip the sensor when there aren't any cars around. I've got little patience for this, and typically run any red lights I encounter after about 30 seconds if there is no other traffic around. I swear one of my riding buddies would sit at a red light until he runs out of gas.

What do y'all do when a light isn't going to change?
1981 XV750
parts bike -> rat rod -> vintage scoot -> custom ride
2014 Raider S
PerpetualConstruction
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1981 XV750 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Waitin' for the light to change...

PostAuthor: SCARE » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:43 pm

same down here in New Zealand..

at night, no cars around. ill sit at the lights for one cycle, then i realise what's happening, and im off... green light or not..
2004 Yamaha Virago XV250S
www.bobberdeniro.wordpress.com
^^^build blog (& some downloads;)
SCARE
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 2004 XV250S

PostAuthor: Robnorth » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:56 pm

There are tons of those here, and often the "main" street has continuous traffic that won't give me a spot unless they actually get that red light. I'm really tempted to get one of those magnets or whatever they are to attach to the bottom of the bike. Does anyone make one that's held on by something more substantial than a zip tie?

One trick I have that is very helpful works if you can see where the wires are in the road. (Often, they've cut the pavement, laid the wire, then laid tar or whatever over the cuts, so it's really obvious.) In the lane, they'll either have a circle or a rectangle. Then a line goes from that circle or rectangle over to the curb and the traffic controller.

I try to get my engine right on top of the "T" formed by the line and the side of the circle or rectangle. Most of the time, that does the trick.

If it's really bad, and no other cars come to help me, I'll put the bike in neutral, drop the kickstand, run over to the sidewalk, and press the pedestrian button. When all else fails....
New old fart to motorcycles
1994 Virago XV535S
Canadian in exile in sunny Arizona
Robnorth
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA (but my heart's still in Canada) Flag
Bike year & model: 1994 Virago XV535S

PostAuthor: krb » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Here in VA a law took effect on July 1st saying that it's legal for us to "run" the light if it won't change.
Image'96 XV750
Mustang seat
Jardine pipes
Kuryaken Classic Tour Bag

krb
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: '96 750

PostAuthor: arnie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Illinois is working on a red light law, but Chicago is fighting it for some reason. Oh, they have red light cameras. More tickets? I have 2 magnets from a microwave under the bike and they help. Problem with a Virago is no frame= no metal.
:beer: , 1982 XV920 shaft drive, Mapam controls, 83 rear fender and LED tail, brake and turn signals, Corbin seat, 81 750 front fender, Windjammer fairing, SS brake lines, Custom homemade duals w/ Sportster mufflers, Head light modulator, Hooded Skull on front fender, LED signal mirrors, Leather Like hard bags mounted to frame, Trunk with back rest, Tail and turn signal lights on trunk, Headlight converted to Quicksilver bulb, Cell phone/MP3 port on fairing. 1984 Soft tail split tanks. many other small things to numerous to remember! More to come!
arnie
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920

PostAuthor: Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:15 pm

when I'm riding I'm ethier on my way to work or my way home , Never in a rush so I wait . ( gives me a chance to light a smoke )
The " Mistress " done

THE MORE HAIR YOU LOSE ... THE MORE HEAD YOU GET ....

I Lied to get the JOB they lied about the JOB .. So we are even

Bike is as always For Sale

EX-WIFE FOR SALE ... JUST TAKE OVER PAYMENTS

HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS

1982 XV920J ,82 harley Gas Tank , 81 Maxim Headlight ,Round Aftermarket signal lighting , harley Sportster front fender , Johnny Pag Spyder rear fender ,harley FLH Battery Cover, Highway Crash Bars with Pegs , Aftermarket Mirrors ,Aftermarket Backrest , Mac Pipes ,Leather Saddle Bags , Gen 2 Starter upgrade , Battery Tender , Honda Shadow Ace Seat . Firehouse Technology I-Tube Stereo , Honda Handlebars , On Board 12 v compressor for rear air shock ,Memphis Shades Batwing fairing ,3.5" pull back risers , Homemade Clock mount

Oakville,Ontario .Canada

Roger Ramjet
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 Xv920J

PostAuthor: ms8238 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:41 pm

I have found that at magnetic lights it help to rev the engine, even in a car, it will change sooner with 2-3 quick revs in a row.

Dunno if the rotating mass trips it sooner or not but they seem to change on cue with rev's.
ms8238
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750

PostAuthor: eaglebeak » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:06 pm

The magnetic field generated by traffic light sensors beneath the road is primarily directed upward at a wide angle, so triggering the sensor is most efficiently accomplished by the width of a metallic object in the field regardless of it's overall mass or height. Obviously, the very "narrow signature" presented by a motorcycle is the worst case scenario for tripping sensors to let the system know you're there. Studies also show the magnetic field becomes more directionally intensified and easier to "trip" by cooler weather and wet road conditions; therefore, you'll notice your scooter is recognized more often on a cooler, wet and rainy day than it is on a hot, dry day.

Putting scientific fact to work, I have found that dismounting at a red light, gently laying my scooter on its side (to increase its "width signature") and urinating beside it to wet the road usually works like a charm. Unfortunately, this practice is not only generally illegal and creates quite a negative response from adjacent traffic, but I've also discovered the freakin' timer in the system usually shuts off green light or turn arrow by the time I zip my pants, right my scooter, and mount up again - grrrrrrrrrr :hair:

Sadly, there's not much one can do to avoid an automatic citation in the mail at any intersection with an unthinking "red light camera"; but cops in most cities and states (with or without a specific law or ordinance) will not pull you over for treating the traffic signal as a "stop sign" after you've sat through a complete cycle of the lights (waiting for a turn signal) or sat for at least a minute when no other major traffic is present.
1986 XV-700SS - "Bad Girl"
eaglebeak
Platinum Membership
Platinum Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 XV-700SS

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:27 am

Tx DOT suppossedly enacted a law in '09 that "any improvement/work" done on a signal would also include up-grading to m/c responsive sensor.

they must have abandoned this (crappy economy) :pissed: because the light at the hospital front gate has been worked on 3 times since then, and I still have to run it or sit there until an auto pulls up. :ider:
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: grazingazer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:16 am

eaglebeak wrote:The magnetic field generated by traffic light sensors beneath the road is primarily directed upward at a wide angle, so triggering the sensor is most efficiently accomplished by the width of a metallic object in the field regardless of it's overall mass or height. Obviously, the very "narrow signature" presented by a motorcycle is the worst case scenario for tripping sensors to let the system know you're there. Studies also show the magnetic field becomes more directionally intensified and easier to "trip" by cooler weather and wet road conditions; therefore, you'll notice your scooter is recognized more often on a cooler, wet and rainy day than it is on a hot, dry day.

Putting scientific fact to work, I have found that dismounting at a red light, gently laying my scooter on its side (to increase its "width signature") and urinating beside it to wet the road usually works like a charm. Unfortunately, this practice is not only generally illegal and creates quite a negative response from adjacent traffic, but I've also discovered the freakin' timer in the system usually shuts off green light or turn arrow by the time I zip my pants, right my scooter, and mount up again - grrrrrrrrrr :hair:

Sadly, there's not much one can do to avoid an automatic citation in the mail at any intersection with an unthinking "red light camera"; but cops in most cities and states (with or without a specific law or ordinance) will not pull you over for treating the traffic signal as a "stop sign" after you've sat through a complete cycle of the lights (waiting for a turn signal) or sat for at least a minute when no other major traffic is present.
:worthless:
if you're asking for help please include the year and model of the bike in your signature
then turn your signature on

my bike is a modified 1981 virago xv75012927the rockabilly rat
grazingazer
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: modified 1981 xv750 virago...1975 650 xsb

PostAuthor: drkstr47 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:34 am

Sorry Graz, I must disagree, I think my life will be much more fulfilled WITHOUT pics!!! :lol:
Feel free to do private emails... :ghug: ..you sicko., hehehe
1984 XV1000

drkstr47
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 XV1000

PostAuthor: priusbrown » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:04 am

I used the bicyclist trick of taking the rare-earth magnet from an old hard disk, and bolting it to the lower frame. Problem solved, I have not found a light that does not respond.

96 QV1100H

priusbrown
Brand New
Brand New

Flag

PostAuthor: ww321q » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:20 am

interesting article I found on the subject

http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights
ww321q
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920 Virago
2000 Ducati 916
1980 Honda CX500c
1975 Honda 125

PostAuthor: kaphook » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:49 am

I used to have that problem with my smaller CB250 when I just had my licence ( 32 years ago ) and found out that weaving over the side of the loop, in en out on rectangular loops, helped. ( not always, a few never worked )
Like that article said. study the loop, find where it is.
Nowadays I have no problems with the lights here in the Netherlands.
Either the bigger mass of the bike helps or they upgraded the loops or both.
But still the old habit of weaving over the loops stays.
DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no easy fix...............
I will give straight answers.
You might not like those because you need to do work.
But.. this is as far as I can take it without being there.
As there seems to be a tendency to flame people.
Remember that all info is given on the basis you supply.
And to the best of my knowledge.
kaphook
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Annemarie, 1981 XV920 RH

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Polls