Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Has anyone tried an S&S Super E carb

P901 Single carb intake, FLAASH Cams, Super Charger, NOS.......
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Has anyone tried an S&S Super E carb

PostAuthor: Bad_Metal » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:29 am

Hello again friends, it has been a while since I have posted anything here (About 5 years maybe :) ). That is because I sold my 920 Virago.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago I have purchased another one, this time it is 1981-84 XV750. Not sure of the exact Year, the VIN is with 9 digits and I was not able to decipher it with over the Web (if someone could help with that, it will be greatly appreciated).

This is the bike:

This is the 1st manifold that I will use, it is only for testing a few things, I know it is not appropriate, I have experience with my old bike:

My question is , has anyone tried the S&S super E carburetor, that is used in so many Harleys and and also Gilroy Indians:

I already have purchased one of those, it should arrive sometime next week, i just want to check ,if anyone has used this type of carb on a Virago and maybe give me some pointers.

Thank You in advance! :)
Bad_Metal
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1981~84 XV 750 (not sure of the exact year)
Sex: Male

Re: Has anyone tried an S&S Super E carb

PostAuthor: Bad_Metal » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:05 am

Wow ,not a single response for 3 days, where are You guys, when I struggled with my old Virago these topics were like chat....
Bad_Metal
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:51 pm

My Hitachis are working great. I've no experience with S&S.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: Polkahero » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:19 pm

Bad_Metal wrote:Wow ,not a single response for 3 days, where are You guys, when I struggled with my old Virago these topics were like chat....

They're not here anymore, everyone has moved to the Facebook Groups. I have a Mikuni TM-40 on my XV1100 and it's killer.
1989 XV1100 "The Empress" & 1995 XV1100 "Maroon & Gold"

Image Image
Polkahero
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1989 XV1100 Virago

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:02 pm

Could be you're breaking new ground with an S&S carb, hence no replies? I'm interested, however, so please keep posting when you get the carb installed and start tuning it. I have a single carb manifold (Smithtec) that I haven't used yet...not sure if it's going to end up on the 750 chopper or my '97 1100.

I've noticed that posting has fallen off since the cold weather has moved in; maybe many riders have gone into hibernation along with their bikes, but the "old faithful" members are still here and posting from time to time. The Forum is still the best source for info!!!!
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:55 am

Bad_Metal wrote: anyone tried the S&S super E carburetor

Nope, can't help either...only dinked with em on a early 80's/shovel head. Might be why no responses..S&S vs Mikuni/Hitachi on a Virago? And a 750 to boot? Meaning: IIRC, bout the same size (venturi wise), but the bore is bigger and the S&S was designed for 1200cc or larger. I mean like full blown Screamin Eagle, 120 cu.in. 750 (748cc)?...hmm, might be to small (engine) to pump enough air/fuel to satisfy that carb anytime other than WOT. Getting that jetting w/pumper to flow decently? Don't know, just a first guess. It would take some number crunch'n. Good luck, anywho.

Polkahero wrote: everyone has moved to the Facebook Groups.

Hmmm...isn't that where you learn to drive a bike or ride a car? Or..change your gear oil cuz the headlite went out? :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Polkahero » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:30 am

Flyingdog wrote:
Bad_Metal wrote: anyone tried the S&S super E carburetor

Nope, can't help either...only dinked with em on a early 80's/shovel head. Might be why no responses..S&S vs Mikuni/Hitachi on a Virago? And a 750 to boot? Meaning: IIRC, bout the same size (venturi wise), but the bore is bigger and the S&S was designed for 1200cc or larger. I mean like full blown Screamin Eagle, 120 cu.in. 750 (748cc)?...hmm, might be to small (engine) to pump enough air/fuel to satisfy that carb anytime other than WOT. Getting that jetting w/pumper to flow decently? Don't know, just a first guess. It would take some number crunch'n. Good luck, anywho.

Polkahero wrote: everyone has moved to the Facebook Groups.

Hmmm...isn't that where you learn to drive a bike or ride a car? Or..change your gear oil cuz the headlite went out? :bg:

Lol, or ask what type of oil to use in these bikes every day or what battery to use. Yeah, lots of newbies on there but there are also some really knowledgeable people on there as well. Just have to wade through the crap. These forums are antiquated, slow, force you to login every time, etc. Oh well. . .

Here's an S&S single carb setup for sale on Ebay. Maybe contact the seller as he sells a ton of Virago parts and rebuilds the carbs on these bikes on a regular basis: S&S Single Carb Setup

Image Image
Polkahero
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Bad_Metal » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:04 am

Hello again guys , well it appeared that You were right, the S&S carb wants a lot larger engine. I bought 2 Mikuni PWK 40 carbs , brand new of Ebay. i installed them just Yesterday , on the first turn of the engine it fired up right away, great idle, but some popping when pulling the throttle. I had no time to tweak with them ,but will do during the weekend. i will make pictures and a video to show You.
Bad_Metal
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: nanno » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:56 am

Greetings to Sofia, I think part of the reason for only very few people answering you is that the era of the single-carb manifold is coming to an end as people realize that it's just a compromise and once you've got the carbs tuned nicely any inequalities in length between the two runners start to show.

Please open a separate thread on the PWK40ies please and tell us how you get along and snap some pictures. :):

Cheers,
Greg
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

*Look to my profile for a link to my blog*
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar
1984 XT500 4Valve (Austrian Tax saving edition)
1979 RD250/R5/DS7-hodgepodge (in bits)

PostAuthor: Polkahero » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:24 am

nanno wrote:Greetings to Sofia, I think part of the reason for only very few people answering you is that the era of the single-carb manifold is coming to an end as people realize that it's just a compromise and once you've got the carbs tuned nicely any inequalities in length between the two runners start to show.

Please open a separate thread on the PWK40ies please and tell us how you get along and snap some pictures. :):

Cheers,
Greg

Coming to an end? I plan on ordering four single carb kits in the next month to get these bikes back on the road. If people would do their research beforehand and not go with the cheapest setup out there they wouldn't run into these issues.

Image Image
Polkahero
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:47 pm

Polkahero, I'm keenly interested to see how it goes with you. I've had an Adam Smith single intake on hand for several years now, and have never installed it - too busy keeping the "family fleet" (5 Viragos) on the road. Now that I've finished my chopper build (bought the frame from you a few years back), I'm once again thinking of looking into installing the single carb set up on one of them - likely one of the '85 1000's. So as you get into it, I for one, would certainly appreciate it if you would post details of your set ups and tuning. I don't think the era is coming to an end...
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Polkahero » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:54 pm

Cusstout 1100 wrote:Polkahero, I'm keenly interested to see how it goes with you. I've had an Adam Smith single intake on hand for several years now, and have never installed it - too busy keeping the "family fleet" (5 Viragos) on the road. Now that I've finished my chopper build (bought the frame from you a few years back), I'm once again thinking of looking into installing the single carb set up on one of them - likely one of the '85 1000's. So as you get into it, I for one, would certainly appreciate it if you would post details of your set ups and tuning. I don't think the era is coming to an end...

If you look at the '95 1100 in my signature pic I already have it installed. I installed it back in the fall of 2018, this is nothing new for me. In fact I plan on ordering three or four kits from Adam in the next month to convert several Viragos over to get them back on the road.

As far as jetting, because I'm running straight pipes I think I went with a little bigger pilot jet and changed the needle position so it runs richer. Probably backed out the air mixture screw an extra turn as well. It's all a little trial and error but there aren't any drastic changes required as long as you have everything sealed off good with either gaskets or RTV at the head ports.

Image Image
Polkahero
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: blackiex » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:56 pm

@Polkahero:
With Adam's setup, that is. Granted, the "uneven" VTC/BiP manifolds can be forced to work with some sweat and cussing. But I have seen just as many horror stories as satisfied owners. Adam's manifold is the cream of the crop, no doubt but Nanno has a valid point when it comes to performance oriented use. The dual VM/TM kits have become popular in the past couple years.

@Bad Metal:
There is a PDF file online, Yamaha's official model index. Search for your bike by the model code (first 3 characters) and it will list the serial numbers for production years.
https://kupdf.net/download/yamaha-model ... 5de06d_pdf

By the way, there was a bloke in one of the Facebook groups who fitted a Chinese Super-E clone onto a VTC manifold (2nd gen 750), allegedly it works well. I remember asking him what jets he used but - as it is often the case - he did not tell us.
David

1986 XV700SS
(1RR-00562)
blackiex
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1992 XV750
2005 XVS 1100

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Single Carb / Power Adder