Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Has anyone tried an S&S Super E carb

P901 Single carb intake, FLAASH Cams, Super Charger, NOS.......
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Has anyone tried an S&S Super E carb

PostAuthor: Bad_Metal » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:29 am

Hello again friends, it has been a while since I have posted anything here (About 5 years maybe :) ). That is because I sold my 920 Virago.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago I have purchased another one, this time it is 1981-84 XV750. Not sure of the exact Year, the VIN is with 9 digits and I was not able to decipher it with over the Web (if someone could help with that, it will be greatly appreciated).

This is the bike:

This is the 1st manifold that I will use, it is only for testing a few things, I know it is not appropriate, I have experience with my old bike:

My question is , has anyone tried the S&S super E carburetor, that is used in so many Harleys and and also Gilroy Indians:

I already have purchased one of those, it should arrive sometime next week, i just want to check ,if anyone has used this type of carb on a Virago and maybe give me some pointers.

Thank You in advance! :)
Bad_Metal
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1981~84 XV 750 (not sure of the exact year)
Sex: Male

Re: Has anyone tried an S&S Super E carb

PostAuthor: Bad_Metal » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:05 am

Wow ,not a single response for 3 days, where are You guys, when I struggled with my old Virago these topics were like chat....
Bad_Metal
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1981~84 XV 750 (not sure of the exact year)

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:51 pm

My Hitachis are working great. I've no experience with S&S.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: Polkahero » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:19 pm

Bad_Metal wrote:Wow ,not a single response for 3 days, where are You guys, when I struggled with my old Virago these topics were like chat....

They're not here anymore, everyone has moved to the Facebook Groups. I have a Mikuni TM-40 on my XV1100 and it's killer.
1989 XV1100 "The Empress" & 1995 XV1100 "Maroon & Gold"

Image Image
Polkahero
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1989 XV1100 Virago

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:02 pm

Could be you're breaking new ground with an S&S carb, hence no replies? I'm interested, however, so please keep posting when you get the carb installed and start tuning it. I have a single carb manifold (Smithtec) that I haven't used yet...not sure if it's going to end up on the 750 chopper or my '97 1100.

I've noticed that posting has fallen off since the cold weather has moved in; maybe many riders have gone into hibernation along with their bikes, but the "old faithful" members are still here and posting from time to time. The Forum is still the best source for info!!!!
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:55 am

Bad_Metal wrote: anyone tried the S&S super E carburetor

Nope, can't help either...only dinked with em on a early 80's/shovel head. Might be why no responses..S&S vs Mikuni/Hitachi on a Virago? And a 750 to boot? Meaning: IIRC, bout the same size (venturi wise), but the bore is bigger and the S&S was designed for 1200cc or larger. I mean like full blown Screamin Eagle, 120 cu.in. 750 (748cc)?...hmm, might be to small (engine) to pump enough air/fuel to satisfy that carb anytime other than WOT. Getting that jetting w/pumper to flow decently? Don't know, just a first guess. It would take some number crunch'n. Good luck, anywho.

Polkahero wrote: everyone has moved to the Facebook Groups.

Hmmm...isn't that where you learn to drive a bike or ride a car? Or..change your gear oil cuz the headlite went out? :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Polkahero » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:30 am

Flyingdog wrote:
Bad_Metal wrote: anyone tried the S&S super E carburetor

Nope, can't help either...only dinked with em on a early 80's/shovel head. Might be why no responses..S&S vs Mikuni/Hitachi on a Virago? And a 750 to boot? Meaning: IIRC, bout the same size (venturi wise), but the bore is bigger and the S&S was designed for 1200cc or larger. I mean like full blown Screamin Eagle, 120 cu.in. 750 (748cc)?...hmm, might be to small (engine) to pump enough air/fuel to satisfy that carb anytime other than WOT. Getting that jetting w/pumper to flow decently? Don't know, just a first guess. It would take some number crunch'n. Good luck, anywho.

Polkahero wrote: everyone has moved to the Facebook Groups.

Hmmm...isn't that where you learn to drive a bike or ride a car? Or..change your gear oil cuz the headlite went out? :bg:

Lol, or ask what type of oil to use in these bikes every day or what battery to use. Yeah, lots of newbies on there but there are also some really knowledgeable people on there as well. Just have to wade through the crap. These forums are antiquated, slow, force you to login every time, etc. Oh well. . .

Here's an S&S single carb setup for sale on Ebay. Maybe contact the seller as he sells a ton of Virago parts and rebuilds the carbs on these bikes on a regular basis: S&S Single Carb Setup
1989 XV1100 "The Empress" & 1995 XV1100 "Maroon & Gold"

Image Image
Polkahero
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1989 XV1100 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Single Carb / Power Adder