Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

carb size for single carb

P901 Single carb intake, FLAASH Cams, Super Charger, NOS.......
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

carb size for single carb

PostAuthor: beebeeri000 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:59 pm

so im pickin up a xv750 from a kid that thought it would be a good idea to try to throw a harley carb on it and i was wondering whats a good carb to run as a single carb i was thinking something around a vm30 or 34 but ive found a lot of conflicting answers for what's a good single carb size.
Last edited by Jake on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Single Carb / Power Adder

beebeeri000
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1993 xv750 virago
Sex: Male

Re: carb size for single carb

PostAuthor: nanno » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:11 am

Aside from the fact that you're not doing yourself a big favour in terms of performance, but admittedly improve simplicity, you should opt for a carb with the same or bigger cross-sectional area than stock. (In reality flow, but as that's a bit hard to determine, going with size should be a sufficient approximation.)

A harley CV40 is definitely a reasonable setup. If you want a directly operated carb, I would suggest going for a 36mm (or bigger) carb. Personally I think a VM38 should work rather nicely as it comes jetted rather rich and the common-place VM38-9 was originally meant as a replacement for the stock carb on Ironhead sportsters. A 36mm roundslide from some snowmobile might be an even more cost-effective method.

That being said, if you piece the kit together yourself you can also go twin VM38 for approx. 300USD and that will offer you quite different levels of performance. (It's what I run on my bike.)

Hope this helps
Greg
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at (My blog - Greasygreg.blogspot.co.at)
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar
1984 XT500 4Valve (Austrian Tax saving edition)
1979 RD250/R5/DS7-hodgepodge (in bits)

Re: carb size for single carb

PostAuthor: beebeeri000 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:10 pm

it definatly does help the kid says thta there's a harley carb on it that was hooked up by a shop but he could never get it to stay running, but they didnt put any support for the carb so it tore the oem boot i think i'll have to really get in there and see the problem but if it has a harley carb thats the right size i might just try to get that one to work at first,

beebeeri000
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1993 xv750 virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Single Carb / Power Adder