Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

DUAL Mikuni TM38 flat slides Part 2

P901 Single carb intake, FLAASH Cams, Super Charger, NOS.......
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

DUAL Mikuni TM38 flat slides Part 2

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:30 am

Continued from Part 1 viewtopic.php?f=34&t=55832

Dave, sorry if it sounded as if I am trying to find faults in your setup - that is not the case.
I have bought TM38-85s, I have raised the needles to top position and have printed your 3D files for adapters.
I am going 100% after your setup , just noticed something that may have affected you in a way. If that is not true, I am happy to hear it.
But it was just something I wouldn't leave without mentioning , cause it could have mean you are not 100% opening the slides on WOT.
Thank you for all the advice and shared know-how, I am not in any way decrying your efforts and result.

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 XV920K
Sex: Male

Re: DUAL Mikuni TM38 flat slides

PostAuthor: ivogiev » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:07 pm

Dave,
I was wondering how many turns out of soft seat do you run your idle screw on you original set up?
I have read the thread few times, but nowhere is written the exact amount and it would be useful for followers like me with the same set up.
Mine at the moment is 2,5 turns out of soft seat.
Was 2 turns and backed it out 0,5 turn - nothing changed on idle and decided to leave it as is,because before that it was massive rich on idle.
Got my bike home - runs a ton stronger than with the stock set up, but is a bit loud with my new exhaust.

ivogiev
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 XV920K

PostAuthor: Brodie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:42 pm

I have installed mine and I am very impressed. Beats my old worn out mikunis. Have not taken her for a ride yet but it idles a lot nicer and is easy to tune the idle.

I need a new exhaust and am still waiting on my throttle cable but I will post again once I have taken her for a ride.
Brodie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1990 Yamaha XV1100
1984 Yamaha SR250
1977 Suzuki GS750
1969 Honda Z50
1958 BSA A10

PostAuthor: DGA » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:28 pm

Remember, the idle mixture screws are AIR screws, opening them or going anticlockwise LEANS the idle mixture. I am at 1.5 turns open now, but I have different cams now as well. I think it was too lean with the stock settings, you might try 2 turns open, I seem to recall they were set at 2.5 turns open from stock. If you get a high idle cold, and inconsistent idle speed it means they are set too lean. Go out a quarter turn at a time and try. As you know, you need a really long small flat bladed screwdriver to adjust them.
'81 XV750, clip ons, 18" rear wheel, lowered 920 forks with twin discs and 1.5" spring spacers, 1100 brake master cylinder with CNC billet cap, -3 braided brake lines, lowered instruments and headlight, CNC billet mirror mounts, small billet turn signals with running lights, Koso tach/ speedo, stainless 2 into 1 stepped headers with reverse cone muffler, starter heat shield, 4 guage starter cables, rear exhaust heat shield, 4" round open air filter with billet CNC mount, TM38 flat slide Mikuni carbs, XV700 ported heads, BT-C05 cams, colder BP8ES NGK plugs, stiffened swingarm, polished engine side covers, polished rear peg mounts with carbon cover panels, single horn relocated, Sparto tail light with 3D printed lens, BSA tank kneepads, one off carbon fiber cafe seat with brown cover, fork gaiters, KDX200 rear shock, single tach/speedo with carbon fiber dash, red LED under tank and seat lights, black pearl paint with silver accents.
DGA
Jr Mod
Jr Mod

Bike year & model: 1974 Kawasaki H2 750, 1981 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre, 1986 Kawasaki KDX200, 2003 Honda XR100, 2004 SDG140.

PostAuthor: cookeal » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Having been in several circles regarding carb choice for my XV750 83, finally have found this thread and it feels like the right way to go. Was not really comfortable with the single carb approach for lots of reasons, and having spoken to a few of the makers felt like their claims were a bit too good to be true, and I would end up with a pokey-out carb, and be quite a bit poorer!

So am about to order the carbs (TM-38-85) and just have a couple of questions:

1. Would really appreciate the 3D print file for the connectors - will PM my email address
2. Petcocks - remain standard with the vacuum lines to the inlets?
3. Air Filter - Airbox has already gone so would appreciate any recommendations here?
4. The 2 into 1 cable does not appear to be available any more (on ebay) - any other known sources?

Much appreciated

cookeal
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 XV750

PostAuthor: DGA » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:00 pm

1. Answered in PM
2. Standard petcocks work fine.
3. Ditch the entire stock air filter assembly, even the rubber bellmouth in the frame inlet. Leave the two in the frame just before the rubber 90 degree carb bends. I machined an adapter from the frame to mount a 4" clamp size round air filter, but any decent round filter will work, just as long as you start with the frame inlet and all the crap before it is gone.
4. The cable from Niche cycle in this page http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS650-34 ... gg&vxp=mtr
looks like the right one, might contact them and ask. Niche cycle have good prices on the TM38 anyway, they might include it as a deal if you talk to them.
'81 XV750, clip ons, 18" rear wheel, lowered 920 forks with twin discs and 1.5" spring spacers, 1100 brake master cylinder with CNC billet cap, -3 braided brake lines, lowered instruments and headlight, CNC billet mirror mounts, small billet turn signals with running lights, Koso tach/ speedo, stainless 2 into 1 stepped headers with reverse cone muffler, starter heat shield, 4 guage starter cables, rear exhaust heat shield, 4" round open air filter with billet CNC mount, TM38 flat slide Mikuni carbs, XV700 ported heads, BT-C05 cams, colder BP8ES NGK plugs, stiffened swingarm, polished engine side covers, polished rear peg mounts with carbon cover panels, single horn relocated, Sparto tail light with 3D printed lens, BSA tank kneepads, one off carbon fiber cafe seat with brown cover, fork gaiters, KDX200 rear shock, single tach/speedo with carbon fiber dash, red LED under tank and seat lights, black pearl paint with silver accents.
DGA
Jr Mod
Jr Mod

Bike year & model: 1974 Kawasaki H2 750, 1981 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre, 1986 Kawasaki KDX200, 2003 Honda XR100, 2004 SDG140.

PostAuthor: Brodie » Wed May 17, 2017 5:18 pm

I have not had much time to work on these but from what I have done I can add some info.

The replacement stock intake boots I bought seem to be just a slight bit to large but do compress down once you tighten the clamps. The stock cars fit snug before they were clamped.

With the needles set to the highest setting I seem to blow black smoke when I rev the engine without load or an intake setup.

The throttle cable from Mikuni Oz does not fit without modification. I had to shorten the main cable and fit the stock end adjuster.
Brodie
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1990 Yamaha XV1100
1984 Yamaha SR250
1977 Suzuki GS750
1969 Honda Z50
1958 BSA A10

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Single Carb / Power Adder