Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Swapping a 1986 XV 750 engine into my 1983 xv750 frame

Everything about swapping a motor on your Virago.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Swapping a 1986 XV 750 engine into my 1983 xv750 frame

PostAuthor: yabangmo » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:23 pm

Hello guys so my 1983 virago starter has been acting up lately. I have read the left cover swap solution but I came across an 1986 xv750 engine in good shape for only $200. So i thought it would be better just to do a complete swap.

I know that the 1986 engine will fit the frame but what electronic parts do I have to swap out from both the engine in order to work. Or is it basically a plug and play.

Thanks in advance for your help!

yabangmo
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1983 XV750
Sex: Male

Re: Swapping a 1986 XV 750 engine into my 1983 xv750 frame

PostAuthor: faffi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:16 am

There will be work involved either way, but if your old engine has the required recession/bushing to take the new starter system, it will be less work to keep the engine you have IMO.

To swap engines, you need to change over the head mounting brackets without disturbing the head gaskets. I got away with it, but there is no guarantee. Although it is more likely to go well than go wrong, just make sure the spark plugs are out so that you have no compression pressure inside when removing the nuts.

Also, if you want to retain your stock foot pegs, you must swap the clutch covers. I am not sure about the electrics, but you have to change how the battery hooks up to the starter, and possibly also how you hook up the starter relay - I swapped wirtually all the electrical system from my donor bike onto my '82, so I am unfamiliar what you need to do when keeping your stock wiring harness. Whether you need to change the pickup(s) and/or R/R or not, I cannot say.

One thing that actually speak for changing engines is the head gasket; the old design is poor and vulnerable, whereas the 1984-on is far more robust and less likely to leak and less likely to damage the cylinder head itself.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Motor Swap