Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Yamaha xv1100 reborn a 700

Everything about swapping a motor on your Virago.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Yamaha xv1100 reborn a 700

PostAuthor: Jake Booze » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:48 am

Gentleman (and Ladies )
First of all , I am a newbie so please be gentle , secondly thank you for accepting me into your very impressive looking Forum .
I have a Xv1100 Trike which last year developed a very serious engine problem (basically it went Bang) . As replacement engines in the UK are as rare as hens teeth , I was forced to go and buy a donor bike for its engine .
Engine was fitted and all is well .
I was now left with XV1100 with no engine .
My Fiancee has wanted to ride for many years , but due to the fact that she is a left leg Amputee this has been near impossible .
I have now decided to build her a trike of her own .
I Managed to source an XV700 1985 engine which fitted the frame with minimal modifications (two brackets) , And received a grant from a biker charity (NABD) to fit Kliktronic gear change system .
Trike is now nearing Completion and all had gone generally fine except for Carbs .
I have fitted xv1100 Mukini carbs which were completely overhauled and cleaned .The trike will start and tick over but refuses to rev up . I checked the plugs and they were a dry and black .
please could you give me some ideas of where to look for this problem
many thanks
Jake Booze

Jake Booze
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1993 Yamaha XV1100 trike
1985 Yamaha XV700 Trike
Sex: Male

Re: Yamaha xv1100 reborn a 700

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:10 am

Welcome to VTF.

The best thing you can do as a new member, is write down your user name and password and keep it somewhere. We can't recover your password for if you should forget, and we don't have access to the email database to recover your username.

That may save you and us all a bit of trouble later on.

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain

Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:01 am

First off...kudos for your lady wanting to ride & kudos to you for building her dream bike. Rare combo.

You said the bike runs and idles but refuses to rev. Does it start to sputter, cough and just totally refuse to rev-up when twisting the throttle? My first guess would be an air leak somewhere. The carb joint boots would be a good place to start. Spray the carb cleaner around them while it's idle'n. Reason the joints are my first attention, worked on a bike doing the exact thing. Really chasing my tail, cuz nothing was making sense. Until I pulled the joint off and gave the rubber a good squeeze. Well, those itsy-bitsy, almost invisible hairline cracks opened up like the Grand Canyon. Once that area has been eliminated, then move on to the fuel delivery. Then back to air..back to fuel etc etc etc....and...start the dance. With a little dose of spark in-between, you should be close to dial'n it in.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake Booze » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:38 am

Thank you I will give it a go

Jake Booze
Brand New
Brand New

1985 Yamaha XV700 Trike

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:31 pm

Howdy. Welcome to VTF.

you didn't mention which ignition [TCI] you are using.
it is important to use the correct one, as they are pretty much engine specific, i.e. the 1100 has a pressure sensor for idle/low-speed timing changes that is not used on most other models.

if you're using the vacuum petcocks, be sure the vacuum lines are soft & pliable [another source of air leaks]

kudos to your Lady and you for your fortitude.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake Booze » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:01 am

Thank you

Jake Booze
Brand New
Brand New