Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

xv1100 japanese "grey" import to UK?

How many were made? What did my bike come equipped with from the factory? Questions, Answers and more!
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

xv1100 japanese "grey" import to UK?

PostAuthor: Perry Monz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:13 am

Hi all, I have an XV1100 which was a "grey" import (ie a personal import, not via the official sole importer) to the UK, I think from Japan. The reason I think it was originally a Japanese bike is that the warning sticker by the fuel filler is all in Japanese.
It is registered as a 1996 model but the engine and frame numbers look weird to me - they are both "4PP". Shouldn't there be more numbers or letters than that? Does anyone know how to go about finding the history of this bike? Can I just write to Yamaha?
(Currently having R/R problems with it and would like to know if I can switch from the plain R/R to the finned one that was fitted to an earlier model.)
UK rider. Japanese market imported XV1100 Virago (1996?).
Perry Monz
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1996 XV1100 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: xv1100 japanese "grey" import to UK?

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:20 am

Find the VIN number then Google Yamaha VIN Numbers. You'll be able to quickly determine if it is indeed a Japanese bike. A sticker is only a sticker.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:43 am

Perry Monz wrote:Hi all, I have an XV1100 which was a "grey" import (ie a personal import, not via the official sole importer) to the UK, I think from Japan. The reason I think it was originally a Japanese bike is that the warning sticker by the fuel filler is all in Japanese.
It is registered as a 1996 model but the engine and frame numbers look weird to me - they are both "4PP". Shouldn't there be more numbers or letters than that? Does anyone know how to go about finding the history of this bike? Can I just write to Yamaha?
(Currently having R/R problems with it and would like to know if I can switch from the plain R/R to the finned one that was fitted to an earlier model.)

Hi Perry,

Did you get anywhere with this? My bike is also an import to the UK with a kph speedo and a Japanese sticker on the tank.

The frame number is 4PP- XXXXXX, so when I put it into one of the VIN search sites, it tells me I should have 10 digits and I get no further.

The engine identifier is just 4PP, no digits at all, they have been filled in and covered over with some metal filler. Both identifiers tally with the reg doc which gives the year of manufacture as 1995, so I'm not worried from that point of view, I'd just like to know which model/market it is/from.

regards

Ken
Tough on chrome, tough on the causes of chrome :;:
jonno51
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 xv 1100 4PP Japan home market model

PostAuthor: shadowxv » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:31 pm

I have one of these odd ducks too, Steering head and engine are both stamped "4PP 000***". Does anyone have any idea what they are? It uses the TPS instead of a pressure sensor, which shows up in UK model wiring diagrams, but I cannot find much of any info about this bike.

shadowxv
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 98? XV1100

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:41 pm

shadowxv wrote:I have one of these odd ducks too, Steering head and engine are both stamped "4PP 000***". Does anyone have any idea what they are? It uses the TPS instead of a pressure sensor, which shows up in UK model wiring diagrams, but I cannot find much of any info about this bike.
See my post from 2014 above...
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:28 am

shadowxv wrote:I have one of these odd ducks too, Steering head and engine are both stamped "4PP 000***". Does anyone have any idea what they are? It uses the TPS instead of a pressure sensor, which shows up in UK model wiring diagrams, but I cannot find much of any info about this bike.

Does yours have the AIS ? Mine doesn't and there is no evidence that it ever did, no hole to blank off near the exhaust outlet for example.
jonno51
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: shadowxv » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:17 am

jonno51 wrote:

Does yours have the AIS ? Mine doesn't and there is no evidence that it ever did, no hole to blank off near the exhaust outlet for example.

Nope, same here. No evidence it ever had it.

shadowxv
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 98? XV1100

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:47 am

I have this:

4PP.jpg

That's the only model that "4PP" appears.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:01 am

Jake wrote:

I have this:

4PP.jpg

That's the only model that "4PP" appears.

So less than 3000 made, and all in the same colour, a blue/green metallic. I'd call it turquoise. I had mine resprayed in a dark blue metallic from BMW, with white tank panels.
jonno51
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: thaibiker » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:06 pm

Hello.

It took a long time to find this information here. I' live in Thailand and got one of them as well. The story from the former owner was that he bought it 15 years ago from a shop in Bangkok.

There's absolutely no information about these bikes and it's almost impossible to find out at what shop it was bought. Mine has 4 PP, 003864 on the forkhead, a 4 PP 003828 on the engine. I'd assume that it's been one of the last bikes that were made in Japan, but got no clue.

If anybody has more info on these bikes, I'd greatly appreciate your input. I wish all of you a Happy New Year 2019 and a lot of fun with your bikes.

https://imageshack.com/i/pnmkW566j

thaibiker
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: Yamaha Virago 1100 cc

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:51 am

thaibiker wrote:Hello.

It took a long time to find this information here. I' live in Thailand and got one of them as well. The story from the former owner was that he bought it 15 years ago from a shop in Bangkok.

There's absolutely no information about these bikes and it's almost impossible to find out at what shop it was bought. Mine has 4 PP, 003864 on the forkhead, a 4 PP 003828 on the engine. I'd assume that it's been one of the last bikes that were made in Japan, but got no clue.

If anybody has more info on these bikes, I'd greatly appreciate your input. I wish all of you a Happy New Year 2019 and a lot of fun with your bikes.

One thing I can tell you, the 4PP bikes are the only 1100s with a 36 tooth 5th gear, so revs in top are about 3% lower for any given speed. The bad news is you can no longer buy a replacement, so if the cog is ever damaged you would need to revert to the 35 tooth item.
jonno51
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:53 am

Going by the engine number your bike could be 1996...
jonno51
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: thaibiker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:07 am

jonno51 wrote:
thaibiker wrote:Hello.

One thing I can tell you, the 4PP bikes are the only 1100s with a 36 tooth 5th gear, so revs in top are about 3% lower for any given speed. The bad news is you can no longer buy a replacement, so if the cog is ever damaged you would need to revert to the 35 tooth item.

I've found the shop in Bangkok where the bike was bought 15 years ago. It came to Thailand "in parts", but I assume that they had a guy at the customs who "cleared it" Then another guy at a transport department issuing the documents for it. It seems to be a 1996 model, the guy wasn't sure, could also be a 1995 one.

thaibiker
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: Yamaha Virago 1100 cc

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - History / Restoration