Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Proof of model year

How many were made? What did my bike come equipped with from the factory? Questions, Answers and more!
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Proof of model year

PostAuthor: beltdrive » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:54 am

I board a 1982 Virago 920J - 10L in Holland - - Yes the first year of the Virago.

I think it came from the US, when US put import told on bikes bigger than 700cc

It is register first time in Holland in 1987 as the papers said.

I can register it for a 1/4 of the registration tax if I can prove that it is a 1982 model and thereby is a classic/historic vehicle, this is most likely a saving of $2000 as Denmark has the highest tax on vehicles in the world .

Any idea how to prove that a 1982 bike is a 1982??
It is a little like finding a 1912 ford barn find and after you get it running, the vehicle inspection want to register it as a 2018 model as that was the year it got registered for the first time ??

Thanks from Erik
Last edited by mark75 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved to History/Restoration
1981 XV 1000 Beltdrive Special - Happy wrench time, thanks everybody, I enjoy this community, hi from Erik
beltdrive
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Location: Denmark NE - former Canadian-Calgary - MARADAtech - Hotel Brinkly - gterik@gmail.com Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 XV 1000 Beltdrive Special, 1982 Yamaha XV920 Virago 10L
Sex: Male

Re: Prof of model year

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:20 am

Just pull your number of the neck tube and Google decode/deciphering motorcycle VIN numbers. But, I would also look into if there any restrictions registering as a classic/historic/antique/vintage..etc etc etc. Don't know bout your neck of the woods, but in the states (and they're all different), certain registration classifications carry certain restricts. Meaning: not for daily/personal use. Only for show, parades and the such.

Outta curiosity..how'd you get an 81'/ 1000? Put a 1000 engine in something else?
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:58 am

Flyingdog wrote:Just pull your number of the neck tube and Google decode/deciphering motorcycle VIN numbers. But, I would also look into if there any restrictions registering as a classic/historic/antique/vintage..etc etc etc. Don't know bout your neck of the woods, but in the states (and they're all different), certain registration classifications carry certain restricts. Meaning: not for daily/personal use. Only for show, parades and the such.

Outta curiosity..how'd you get an 81'/ 1000? Put a 1000 engine in something else?

It's a TR1, they were 1000cc......
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package (sold)
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:02 am

check sites like this [or have them] ---> https://vindecoder.eu/yamaha
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: beltdrive » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks guys

"10L-020711" that is all the karakters on the neck and mathing engine, and the VIN system I looked at said it had to be 17 karaters ?,

It comes from the US, most likely Califonia, as it has a vacumline on both intake boots, where all others I ever saw, only have on the front boot (yes for the rear carburator)

the odometer is in miles and you can thoose miles or KM on the digital speedometer, but you have to set it for KM, as it will always start on miles, my first 920 did not do that, but it was from Canada.

So if you live in CA and had this bike, please send the original bill of sale - Yah - what a thange.

Anybody have a owners manual for a 1982 Yamaha Virago 10L , that might help as well - I am just in need of papers showing this as a 1982 model

Thanks from Erik
1981 XV 1000 Beltdrive Special - Happy wrench time, thanks everybody, I enjoy this community, hi from Erik
beltdrive
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Location: Denmark NE - former Canadian-Calgary - MARADAtech - Hotel Brinkly - gterik@gmail.com Flag

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:40 pm

Early model bikes in the US only used a 9 digit VIN. The 17 digit VIN came into play later... If it is a US bike, take a look on the steering stem on the left side and there should be a white sticker. It will give you the month and year of manufacture. Example: 6/82
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package (sold)
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A

PostAuthor: Spindlehead » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:54 am

According to the HAYNES manual the 10L designates that it is an 1982 shaft drive XV920:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spindlehead
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920

PostAuthor: Spindlehead » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:57 am

edited previous post. Haynes manual, not Clymer.
Spindlehead
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Spindlehead » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:07 am

Spindlehead
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:12 am

bstig60 wrote:It's a TR1, they were 1000cc......

Oh Geesus!!..Major brain gap, here..thanks..keep forgetting bout those. Specially something as a 1000 being pre-84' or 85'.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: beltdrive » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:50 am

Thanks guys - I will go to the vehicle safety "shop" today and ask if this is enough, they are privately owned now, and will not take me out back and beat me up.

This being Denmark, the hardest country in the world to get any vehicles approved, we are SO different to the other countries in the EU, we just had a city train being 6 month delayed, this city train is approved and used by numerus cities in EU, they had a European safety “company” helping with the approving, still the Danish safety commission stop the train from running another 6 month, the city had already ordered the food and the band and everything for the big day – that never came – this is Danish vehicle commission.

This is why you cannot trust politicians, they promised us equal rights and opportunities for all people in the EU, yes that was 46 years ago.

OK I hope the best and will get back to you.

Yes it is a XV1000, (beltdrive special) very thought after in Europa as a built project, due to the frame is bolted together in sections,(yes all GEN 1) so you can change the seat section for lower seat -- etc. or the section behind the engine for a different swingarm - etc., and you can always go back to original, well if you have the original piece. just do not expect it to go through inspection in Denmark.

Thanks from Erik
beltdrive
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:23 am

beltdrive wrote:This being Denmark, the hardest country in the world to get any vehicles approved, we are SO different to the other countries in the EU, we just had a city train being 6 month delayed, this city train is approved and used by numerus cities in EU, they had a European safety “company” helping with the approving, still the Danish safety commission stop the train from running another 6 month, the city had already ordered the food and the band and everything for the big day – that never came – this is Danish vehicle commission.

This is why you cannot trust politicians, they promised us equal rights and opportunities for all people in the EU, yes that was 46 years ago.

Oh yea? That's peanuts compared to our "Rid the world of Plastic Straws" dilemma. :r: :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:58 pm

This may help

1D3152E3-E857-4DB4-B1F5-A700FDE9ABCD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

Re: Proof of model year

PostAuthor: beltdrive » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:45 am

OK I went to the vehicle safety inspector to ask

NO – NO – NO – NO ( they are good at no´s ) a prof of year has to be a factory paper or the white sticker on the frame.

When he saw the credit card like - vehicle id card, he said," If you lose that, the bike will be for part only, - - what a country, soon all our road will be red???, well they have enough reed tape to pave them!

Asked a company that help Danish people getting a small number of vehicles approved, yes we now have a company doing this stuff.

They said - "If it is more than 4 years from manufacturing to the first registration, I can get the first registration moved to the year of manufacturing - " BINGO " ,- so far so good.

Now I have to get home and take of the front fork to get a good photo of the white sticker, and hopefully it is on there - clear enough that I can read it and take a photo.

Thanks guys - l will keep you posted – thanks from Erik
beltdrive
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: dogeared dave » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi Eric Nice looking Bike. How about going to a yamaha dealer and requesting a letter of verification from Yamaha? I have an xv 500 us import and have been recommended this route to get UK registration simplified. as I have chopped it and don't want to go through MOT road worthiness/new vehicle test. UK also loves red tape. Good luck.

dogeared dave
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 xv500

PostAuthor: beltdrive » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:48 pm

Sorry Dave - - -the avatar bike is not the bike in question, I have a picture of it here in the forground with the XV1000 Beltdrive Special behind it.

The latest news is that : " If it is more than 4 years between the first registration and the fabrication date , you can get it changed - yes even in Denmark hurra.

Now I "just" to take the fork of to get a better look at the frame head sticker, to see the fabrication date and make it viewable to the inspector

Thanks guys, we are still in the hopefull corner, thanks from Erik
beltdrive
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - History / Restoration